ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil pressure/tappets

Bumder With A Buffer

having some probs (i think!) with my valver. firstly the oil pressure is very high (at 6) when starting from cold and i get a tapping noise that increases with revs from my engine. could this be tappets?? also my power steering makes a horrible noise , like a squeaking when turn from a standstill. anyone got ne clues??

my poor lil cars gots some more lil probs 2! just need sum TLC i think.

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

The noise from your power steering is air... air trapped in the system somehow.. You need to raise (best/easy) the front of your car, front wheels in the air, take of the filler cap, start your engine, refill now if nessesary, gently turn the wheels in both directions several times to full steering lock... refill again if nessesary...

The other noise could be your tappets and probably is.... what oil are you using?

Michael

Skoda Fabia vRS

it probably is your tappets yes

Wynns do a hydraulic tappet additive, Halfords sell it.....might be worth a try

it could also be your oil i guess, it is above Min isnt it ?

Bumder With A Buffer

yes the oil is above min!! only had an oil change last week an i check it regularly. i think the oil is 10w 45 but not 100% sure. the oil pressure stays very high in the car. at about 3000 rpm it is at bout 4. is this high or normal???

reference the steering i also have a problem with the tyres catching inside of arch, on passenger side the plastic bit that protects engne/ gearbox. someone rekoned the offset was wrong. if so couldnt i just put spacers on??

i have same problem with engine mate i tried that wynns stuff and no change so either a second hand head or a willy engine if i can find one

RenaultSport clio v6 255

if it sthe tappets it is not a tricky job to do, but they cost about 180 for the set, as they wear they loose abilty to hold oil, and then typically make this tapping noise on cold starts, it should go after a few minutes as they get oil back in them, Ktec or BB do them i think.you dont nee to change the head just the tappets as far as i know1

Noisy tappets are the most common thing ever on both the 1.8 and 2.0L 16v engines.... I wouldnt worry about it, mine does it.

All I do is make sure I dont go above 3000 revs until ive got a decent amount of oil temp.

Plus, Your oil pressure sounds absolutely spot on. 6 when starting cold, going down to 1 ish when idling warm. about 3000 @ 70mph... is what I get.

oil pressure.....1 bar at 1000rpm @80C........3 bar @ 3500rpm at the same temp.

noise.....could be the injectors you are mistaking it for....have a close listen....move your ear from teh front of the engine to the rear......

squeeking.......ususally just the belt.....open the bonnet, turn the steering and look at teh PAS pump.....if the pump stops and the belt slips over it, you have your problem.......if not....its yer pump or fluid level.

Im using Magnatec oil, castrol gtx 15w 40 to be exact Ben R why should i not be using this oil? My car seems to run fine on it......???????

Rob.

P.s What is a good oil to be using?

Skoda Fabia vRS

because there is loads of people on this forum, myself included, who when they have used Magnatec it has made there car very tappety

get it out of there ASAP !

i recommend Silkolene Pro S 10W-50, or if ur engines up to it, the 5W-40...

Ive had it in there for nearly 4k miles and to be honest it runs fine.

Ive heard alot about the silkolene i may try it next time around, that magnatec is what the garage used when they serviced my car...

Whats the difference with the 10w 40 , 5w 40 is my 15w 40 ok or up to the job whats the differences?????

Rob.

Skoda Fabia vRS

its up to the job yea, and yea there is obviously tons of cars runnin fine on Magnatec, but after hearin my car when i used it, never again !

the difference between all the grades is its viscosity at certain temperatures...

Bumder With A Buffer

the tapping noise definately sounds like its coming from the engine. i can hear a slight ticking from my injectors but the tapping from my engine is bloody loud sometimes. my oil pressure at 1000 rpm (dont know what temperature coz my temp gauge aint working) is just over 1, at 3500 rpm it is bout 4 or 5.

this sounds to high or is this normal. p.s this is after running the car aroungd for bout half hour so it shouldnt be cold.

well......it really doesnt help till you get it up to temp....mine at idle and cold is about 3.5 bar and 6 at higher rpm.

drive around, when its at normal operating temp then look at the pressure.

it could be worn tappets and they are easy to replace but costly parts.

youve got to think that when your car is cold, the oil is thicker hence the pressure needed to pump it round the engine is greater. When the operating temp is up/high the oil is thinner and runs better, hence less pressure is required so theres no problem with that reading you mentioned.

thats kind of misleading, the temp chance leads to a viscosity change. This affects the this affects the mean pressure tha pump can create behind it. there is no smart pump where it senses the need to pump oil at a hgiher pressure when its cold.

just cause the engine is working harder against a less viscous fluid doesnt mean an increase in pressure, if the pump was broken it would work equally hard but with no oil pressure.

like i said, use the same pump and the pressure change is a result of viscosity change through temp cahnge.

i know you enjoy making people feel this small when it comes to technical knowledge!;) but correct me if im wrong, the oil pressure dial is showing the rate at which the oil is being pumped around the engine. the point you made above is exactly what im saying. the colder and thicker the oil the more effort is required in order to pump it round the engine???

If you do not agree then explain so hopefully i shall learn something new today rather than be engrossed in a hapless argument.

ta,pete.

you see, this is where things go wrong, people dont like to told anything, especially if they have it in their head that they are correct. I am not here to make anybody feel small or stoopid etc etc. Im not here to argue, im here cause i like tech talk, others like racing talk and others like styling....i aint got the foggiest when it comes to bodywork and painting etc and im not affriad to listen to those who do.

Pressure is a force acting upon, not a flow rate. you can have a static presure as in a baloon or a dynamic one as oil in our engines and coolant systems.

THe point i made abovce isnt what you are saying you are saying "the colder and thicker the oil the more effort is required in order to pump it round the engine". True enough, but that doesnt explain pressure.

Ive explained it twice already, pressure change is a result of viscosity, and since the pump is working at the same speed regardless of temp, its the lower viscosities increase in restriction that creates a pressure buildup behind the pump.

the pump doesnt work any harder/faster when cold.

Same with teh coolant system......remove the thermostat and pressure drops, but fluid movement is the same.

SOrry for teh rant mate, no offence, but i cant help but feel that people have this problem with others who dont beat about teh bush and patronise. If i had a damn company it wouldnt be a problem.....EVIL ICE has his thumb on the ICE section, yet i doubt he gets gyp for correcting and helping people, plus most on here dont mind going to tuning companies that flog sh*t and talk the same product.

no offence taken mate. Im no expert so i glady hold up my hands and apologie for standing on my pedastol!! I like reading your posts mate cos i learn from them!

Its what cliosport was set up for!!

cheers, appreciated, pete.

all here to learn and i still learn new stuff everyday, even on topics ive been over a million times.

Skoda Fabia vRS

hehe, well this oil thread gettin out of control has nothin to do with me............for once hehe

Bumder With A Buffer

bloody hell! i seemed 2 have caused a bit of tension here. whoops!!

sorry :eek:

Thanks for your help anyway people. it is appreciated

Renault Laguna

1) Try using a low grade oil but 6 when cold isnt that high, I think your is ok.

2) Tapping = tappets work, try changing the oil twice in about 2k miles to flush some dirt out of the tappets, they are hydraulic and tend to get sticky often...

3) You own a Renault, why is your temp gauge fuxored? Thats crazy! Go fix it soon mate!!!!!!!1