ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OK, connecting macbook Pro to tv via avi cable or HDMI?

Was in a store yesterday and wanted to grab the cable needed to plug mac into tv to watch stuff on it... The guy wasn't sure which would be the best to give me?
Theres the original mac cable which was mini Disp to AVi... then he had another one which was Mini Disp to a HDMI port? Both were around the same price... but I assumed the HDMI would be better no?

If I watch HD trailers surely it'll be better to have that plugged into the tv no?

Thanks all :)

Lou

I've got Mini DisplayPort to HDMI for my MacBook - unsure if the pro uses a different cable though.

Abarth 500 Essesse
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI should work fine, if you've got a new MBP then audio should work aswell.

Lots available on eBay, i got the cablesson one i think.

Abarth 500 Essesse
Yep, thats the one, does audio and is in HD, your MBP should just output to 1080p/ 720p depending what your TV supports

Go cry to your momma!
Which year MBP is it and I'll tell you which one you can use to carry audio..

If it's a <2010 I have a neet cable that you can have for £10, unused that will carry audio :)

If it's 2010 and you want audio, I can point you in the direction of one for £8 (sod paying £25 for the Dr Bott one from apple)

Go cry to your momma!
Yeah, you can use the neet cable that amazon sell - they've changed the spec's on their page now as they're rewiring it to carry audio for the 2010 macbooks..

I have one you can have for a tenner if you want (bought it thinking it'd work with my 2010 but it doesn't :()

DB.

BMW 440i
I was just thinking of buying the Minidisplay port to VGA, then using a VGA wire to hook my Sept09 Macbook up to the Tv.

Going to buy one this week.

Would the HDMI option be better?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
None of the cheap ones carry audio. £40 for an audio one. (for a 2009 MBP)

Last edited:

Washington

ClioSport Club Member
Ok. This is to confusing! Lol! I had a thread about this before, but seems there are different views all over the place. I have been looking at some of the cable on here...

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/cables?mco=MTM3NTA0NTE

Seems i only need a VGA cable and the Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter.

Would this be ok and have Audio?

No, you'll need a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter (the port should look like this on your MacBook). You'll have to use a seperate cable for audio.

Go cry to your momma!
None of the cheap ones carry audio. £40 for an audio one. (for a 2009 MBP)

Depends how the adapter is wired Tom - you don't necessarily need a HDMI + USB audio adapter.

I was assured by neet that the cable I bought from them would carry both as it was wired to do so. I've read quite a few instances of people having success with it - just not on the 2010 MBPs as Apple have changed the port config'..

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Not seen any instances of success with mid 2009 mbp's feel free to link.

DB.

BMW 440i
No, you'll need a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter (the port should look like this on your MacBook). You'll have to use a seperate cable for audio.

Nope, My Sep 09 Ports look like this.

IMG_0038.gif

IMG_0037.gif

Still dont know what i need! :dapprove:

Washington

ClioSport Club Member
Oh my bad, I tried to work it out on wikipedia and it said they had minidisplay ports. You need a VGA cable and a VGA -> mini DVI adapter like you said (or the HDMI route above if your TV has HDMI ports). Audio will have to be done seperately, there's no way you can have it through one cable on your MacBook.

DB.

BMW 440i
Is there any advantage of HDMI over VGA? I have both a VGA cable and a HDMI cable so its no bother either
way. :)

Washington

ClioSport Club Member
Go the HDMI route, it's a tidier cable.

You'll need the optical cable assuming your tv has one of those ports, that second cable is no good. You'll find optical and hdmi cables much cheaper on ebay.

Edit: actually I'm not completely sure which audio cable you'll need, it depends on what audio in ports you have on your tv/speakers/home cinema.

DB.

BMW 440i
Cheers mate, Ive got a HDMI cable from the Xbox. :)

Just need the Mini DVI to HDMI cable now, and the Optical Audio one. The tv should have it, its a fairly new 32" Samsung.

Washington

ClioSport Club Member
OK cool. Grab an optical cable from ebay then, they're about £2 and do just the same job. Might be worth getting a HDMI cable too whilst you're at it, only £2-3 and will save you unplugging the Xbox.