ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ok...prepare to chuckle at my stupidity

Ok...so.... I used to be a member here with my mk1 rt, but have long since moved on since i sold her....*sob

However, my gf has recently bought herself a mk 2 1.2 16v clio 'sport' and i have a question.... you can either read the funny brief story here: or scroll down a bit further for the short question...

Her windscreen fluid ran out, so I kindly offered to refill it as I was doing mine at the same time. When i opened the bonnet - i could only see one obvious place where it looked like the fluid went in.... However...it didnt feel right as it didnt have the old windscreen wiper logo and no filter like my old clio and 5 used to have.... Whilst I pondered and searched my gf started telling me that it was 'definetly that one' and laughed when i wanted to double check on the net. As i was tired, it was getting late and i wanted to shut her up i poured it in.... When she tested the wipers, surprise surprise nothing worked - i just guessed the fluid hadnt circulated yet and left it at that....So it turns out I in fact poured it into the radiator!

Question is : Have i caused the car any damage as a result? can we put more water in to dilute it? the car has already been driven around 100 miles since i poured it in....

LMAO. Washer bottle is top right when looking at it from the front, lil plastic flippy lid. As for have you damaged the rad, i dunno.

R35 GTR
theduckeatspork said:
LMAO. Washer bottle is top right when looking at it from the front, lil plastic flippy lid. As for have you damaged the rad, i dunno.

Isnt the coolant stuff water and antifreeze?

yea, should have guessed really as thats where it was on my five and clio

I guess i got confused for a moment, as the saxos is the bottom left..lol

Dave3141 said:
Isnt the coolant stuff water and antifreeze?
EDIT::: yeah it is, but he hasnt said if he put just water in the COOLANT TANK or water and washer fluid

Last edited:

al

ST on the way...
theduckeatspork said:
yeah it is, but he hasnt said if he put just water in the washere bottle or water and washer fluid

Yes, but if you read the post, he didn't put anything in the washer bottle.

He put it in the coolant tank.

Chuckle? I damn nearly pissed myself :D

Not sure if it will cause any problems but you'll have the cleanest radiator in the club.

For starters, the expansion tank should already have coolant in it. Did the fact that the tank wasnt actually empty, not set the alarm bells ringing??

Roy Munson said:
For starters, the expansion tank should already have coolant in it. Did the fact that the tank wasnt actually empty, not set the alarm bells ringing??

thats the thing - there was no water visible....

To be fair - I know where my washer bottle is in my car - when its late, your tired and your gf is whining at you and you cant see anything obvious you can make mistakes..

Not that im dismissing my mistake as stupid!

So, to clarify - i wont have caused any damage? it was about 3:1 of water to washer fluid/anti-freeze...

BMW 330d :)
Lucky you didnt put it in the engine! Would have made a nice bang! Thats not a good sign that the coolant tank didnt have any water in it. Has the car recently been serviced? Head gasket could be on its way out!? Check under the oil cap for white gunge. If theres some Id get it to the garage pronto.

Vectra :(
Should be ok depending how much you put in. If you only filled the coolant bottle from min to max then i cant see it being a problem.

If in doubt you could always bleed and refill the system

Lam7r said:
Should be ok depending how much you put in. If you only filled the coolant bottle from min to max then i cant see it being a problem.

If in doubt you could always bleed and refill the system

didnt put that much in - a litre at the very most....

Don't think i can be bothered to blead it TBH - will have a look at it proper 2mo...

Also - the other day - the speedo cut out whilst driving, it has done this twice now - not registering any miles or how fast she was going - im assuming this is a fuse thats on its way out and needs replacing - any suggestions which one?

Lol doesn't sound as bad as the time i did and oil change (let just say i undid the wrong sump plug and top up the oil) whoopsey one fooked engine!

taylor said:
buy sat nav with the speed on leave the speedo not working waalaa free miles

thats a handy bit of advice - shame it fixes itself tho - but im guessing the car wont know its running out of petrol though with this fault on - the totat mileage still shows on the digi screen but doesnt change...