ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ok so what if its CAT D

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
23   0   0
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
dannyboy172 said:

A Cat D is a repairable car that the insurance company has paid out the owner on .

When they are repaired the have to go through rigorous tests before the are allowed on the road .

Funnily enough there is a new program on sky called " wrecks and rides " , Vicky Butler Henderson , was on last night .
Its all about repairing cat d's and puttin em back on the road .

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
23   0   0
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Looks a good un .

You could always contact HPI and find out more about it .

MrBillyUK !

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
I just bought a cat d 172 for £2.5K which has been professionaly repaired.

You would never notice it has been in any sort of accident, drives as normal. CAT Ds can be a good buy and that V6 certainly is cheap at that price!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182 and 5 GTT
i thought the price of the quote wasnt much different, just if you claimed, its not worth anywhere near as much as a going rate for the cars.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Focus RS, 182 gone
I would never touch a cat D car. Basically its been wrote off by an insurance company. By that i mean the damage to that car would have cost more than 40% of its value to repair. I brought a cat D car when i was 17, it seemed cheap, when i got it, i noticed it didnt handle right and the chassis was twisted(which only takes a small impact) and with metalic paint, the colour never matches, along with the fact it would be a nightmare to sell on. Obviously hes going to make out its had a small prang, at the end of the day, hes trying to sell it.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
azzer2000 said:
I would never touch a cat D car. Basically its been wrote off by an insurance company. By that i mean the damage to that car would have cost more than 40% of its value to repair. I brought a cat D car when i was 17, it seemed cheap, when i got it, i noticed it didnt handle right and the chassis was twisted(which only takes a small impact) and with metalic paint, the colour never matches, along with the fact it would be a nightmare to sell on. Obviously hes going to make out its had a small prang, at the end of the day, hes trying to sell it.

I think your personal experience shouldnt be judged as a usual example, you obviously were unlucky and not all Cat D cars are bad if they have been repaired properly. Cars are often written off by the insurance company where they recieve high price quotes to repair that vehicle. I mean you ever been to a official Renault garage when you've had a small knock? They charge crazy expensive prices where the price can mount up very quickly. e.g. Bumper £500, spraying £500 fitting £300 the list goes on and on and soon exceeds the value of the car.

As quoted "The vehicle can be safely and economically repaired either by the insurer / motor trade or by an enthusiast using cheaper parts and reduced labour costs. " source: http://www.car-crime.com/salvage_category.htm

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
23   0   0
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
azzer2000 said:

According to the program on sky last night " wrecks to rides " a Cat D repair has to meet tests more rigorous than an MOT .

I'm sure they wouldn't condone the repair of such vehicles and actually make a program about it if it was not safe to do so .

I'm guessin that your experience of a Cat D wasn't recent , and the rules for putting a Cat D back on the road are alot tougher now.

Even the independant inspector said he would have no problem about purchasing a Cat D car for himself .

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
23   0   0
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
aaronc said:
I think your personal experience shouldnt be judged as a usual example, you obviously were unlucky and not all Cat D cars are bad if they have been repaired properly. Cars are often written off by the insurance company where they recieve high price quotes to repair that vehicle. I mean you ever been to a official Renault garage when you've had a small knock? They charge crazy expensive prices where the price can mount up very quickly. e.g. Bumper £500, spraying £500 fitting £300 the list goes on and on and soon exceeds the value of the car.

As quoted "The vehicle can be safely and economically repaired either by the insurer / motor trade or by an enthusiast using cheaper parts and reduced labour costs. " source: http://www.car-crime.com/salvage_category.htm

I totally agree with the above .

I had a bang in my old 172 , all cosmetic , new bumper , wing , respray , labour costs etc ....
Cost to the insurance company was £2500 . Parts are very expensive even for a small accident .Thats why the cost soon mounts up and they say that it is not economical for them to repair .

MrBillyUK !

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
Your not picky you just wouldnt take the risk as you've obviously had a bad experience in the past which is fair enough....but remember its the value of the car at the current market rate, so if you think about it a car worth £11k and it has a £5K repair bill due to a minor accident and its repaired by by the insurance company you wouldnt be any the wiser should you buy the car at a later date would you? ......And if it was worth under that amount at a later date it would then be classed as a CAT D write off....but it doesnt necessarily mean the damage was extensive.

^^^^Confusing but I have tried to explain it best i could!

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Illiad V6 255
Vees are very easy to write off since when it comes to parts it's a case of think of your worst nightmare and then double it. For example, a single side scoop alone is a good £500 without spraying :eek:. Therefore a knock that on a normal car is pretty minor, will still wipe a Vee out from an insurers' standpoint.

There's not much at the front of a Vee ... radiators, fans, a chunky fabricated frame, steering is set back against the bulkhead. Hence assuming that the main shell was not damaged (eg. roof is straight), Vee could easily be repaired and returned to as good as new if you had the money for the parts. Net is there's no reason to assume this Vee is a totally lemon, tho' of course a good vehicle check would confirm either way.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Focus RS, 182 gone
Im still not convinced, nor are a lot of other people, thats why you have trouble selling them and they aint worth as much.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
azzer2000 said:
Im still not convinced, nor are a lot of other people, thats why you have trouble selling them and they aint worth as much.

Not tyring to convince you by any means, I completly respect your decision, however your quote 'thats why you have trouble selling them and they aint worth as much' is not exactly true as Matts one sold within 24 Hours and you purchase them for less so its all relevent when you come to sell.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Audi TT 225
If the damage is to the front of the car thats a good thing. You can change the whole front of a car and not have a problem.

Now if it got hit on the rear or one of the door pillers its toast, chassis could be twisted.

I found out my last car was a Cat D and it always had that feeling that something wasn't quite right but you couldn't put your finger on it.

If its properly repaired and the damage wasn't that bad in the first place, and it was on the front then it could be a good buy.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Astra coupe
i believe my car is a cat d.....and to be honest i couldn't care, i got it cheap...pretty much every car my dad has owned and repaired has been damaged....like has been said, you buy cheap you sell cheap. It is cat C crashes that have to undergo VIC check which is a more rigorour mot.