ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Old problem... noise!

This has been going on for too long now and im getting annoyed with it...

Im getting a squeeking noise from the O/S front when going over bumps, sounding worse when im braking and shifting the weight over the front.

ive just replaced the shocks, springs and top mounts and im left with the noise still.

any suggestions? it sounds like something rubbing against something else. Could it be in need of Fred's wonder washers for the top mounts? its not a knocking, more of a squeek like an old rusty spring.

thanks for any advice.
/Dan.

Whats interesting is that I had the same noise, and when I took it in for a service they replaced the balljoint as it was worn excessively.

Could be the same problem

That is an example of a ball joint on a car, although thats not a clio.

Attachments

• ball_joint.jpg
    ball_joint.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 70
ah ha... i know what you mean now... thanks!

so can anyone tell me how to find out if mine's worn?

BMW M3
Might even be the strut top mount.... The thread Fred opened up a while ago with a fix.

I had this squeak with a knocking noise and took it to renault and they grinded down the metal on the strut top i think. Sorted it temp. But its back again so am going to get one of these washers instead and see what happens.

It always squeaked over bumps or rough surfaces and came from drivers front side. Maybe related to your problem.

yeah sounds identical to my problem justin...

ive replaced the whole suspension (including whole strut top mount kits), i may try the washers too, only cost a tenner after all :)

BMW M3
Well, hopefully its as simple as that mate. Im hoping it will sort it too on mine.

If you cant get hold of Fred, Justin172 i think also can make these up for £4 or so.

CB600FS
Fubar jack your car up mate, keep the wheel on work the play top to bottom, and at 5 & 10 o'clock. Get under it with a big screwdriver/prybar, get it between the arm and the hub & see if you can pull it down. You'll be able to feel/see ifs its excessive

Fubar jack your car up mate, keep the wheel on work the play top to bottom, and at 5 & 10 o'clock. Get under it with a big screwdriver/prybar, get it between the arm and the hub & see if you can pull it down. You'll be able to feel/see ifs its excessive

come again? sorry, im not silly but im also no mechanic.

Where do i put the screwdriver to use as a lever and what am i looking for play in?

CB600FS
Sorry for the dodgy pic

BallJoint1.jpg

Its basically a ball & socket, and the ball wears, then it can go up and down, and make knocking noises.

Did you grease the spring and the bearings when you assembled them?

BMW M135i
Did you grease the spring and the bearings when you assembled them?

Should they be ?
I've got a similar noise and i've already changed the balljoint which had no play in it at all. I get a squeak and a hollow knock from the drivers side only when I go over bumps. The knock sounds like something rubber being compressed and its not the strut cover and you can't see any contact patches when you take the strut out either.

CB600FS
Technically no, but 9 times out of 10 I grease where the spring sits (Both ends) between the bushes at the top, and the top mount of most cars. I've eliminated squeaky noises from doing this a fair few times, also the noise when the rubber turns, then stops then turns again, like a twanging noise.

I'd check your top mounts are in properly aswell. Have you torqued your wheel nuts correctly?

*Edit- Bhm do you get the noise when stationary? When you go lock to lock?

BMW M135i
Yup, top mounts are fine as are the wheel nuts. I've refitted them several times to try and eliminate a problem. Took them out at the weekend at this knock noise appeared and there are no signs that its the damper/spring causing it although you'd assume it was. Its totally bamboozeled me.

Volvo S60 T5
For the price of a ball joint its worth a go, you can get non-genuine joints for around £16+vat from your local motor factors.

Titanium 182 full fa
Does it happen when the front is loaded up under heavy breaking or maybe when you come over large speed bumps?
Ive had a creaking noise coming from the front of the car for a while, have used Yozzas washers which sorted the top struts but still had the noise from down below, had its first service on Monday and good old Renault could not find a thing wrong with it and I was convinced it was the anti-roll bar bushes, went back in today for half an hour and theyve lubricated the bushes on the anti-roll bar and hey presto its gone... so I would get a can of WD40 or something similar and spray all four bushes and try that.

Cookie

clio 2litre/gt 5 turbo
get the wheel bearing checked as there mite be a slight bit of play i had this in mu williams thort it was my brakes but it happened when i turned aswell so i got it checked

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I've got the same friggin noise! Been doing it for a while now. Just bought it into the dry of the workshop here at work to investigate yet again as it seems to be doing it quite alot this morning.
So what we looking at? Strut top mount, ball joint and anti roll bushes?
Jeeeez

does the noise occur when going straight or when cornering in particular sharp turns?

its occurs mostly when going straight Jay as well as on corners, but its more apparent when the fronts loaded under braking. If i listen as im driving along normally over bumps its making the noise, just not as loud without the braking.

its also driving me mad and has now cost me over £400 in parts and its still here!

I've got the same friggin noise! Been doing it for a while now. Just bought it into the dry of the workshop here at work to investigate yet again as it seems to be doing it quite alot this morning.
So what we looking at? Strut top mount, ball joint and anti roll bushes?
Jeeeez

its not strut top mount, ive replaced the whole kit on both sides along with the shocks and springs.

im sure Jay will have an answer soon...

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Mine does when the car goes over quite severe seed bumps...more of a squeeking but then its sometimes accompanied by a knocking as well!
Definitely coming from the drivers side as well.

Mine does when the car goes over quite severe seed bumps...more of a squeeking but then its sometimes accompanied by a knocking as well!
Definitely coming from the drivers side as well.

aye, thats it although i dont have a knocking (thank god).

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well ive just had mine up in the air. Lubed up the bushes and the lower ball joint but i reckon im chasing my tail on this one until something fails or someone has a definate answer.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
Believe it or not that has been known. Had the odd caliper where the slides have worn causing it to chatter. Also had one where the brake discs were really worn causing it to chatter. In both cases the noise stops as soon as you press the brake pedal.

If its a squeak have you tried removing the outer anti roll bar bushes and greasing them inside.

FIXED!!

Finally, its sooo nice to drive my car without the noise! lol

it was the strut top mount, even though i had bought an entire new kit for it. Basically where you screw the strut top down onto the shocker under the bonnet, i put a little bit of grease on there, and also around the outside where they can make contact with the shell.

this has worked! Ive ordered fred's washers so this should hopefully be a more permanent fix! :approve: