ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Omg I hate my clio losing gear oil now

phase 2 172
Hi everyone. I have just found out my Clio is losing gear oil. The thing is it only leaks when I drive it. Also when I looked under it I saw aload of cv grease on the inner drivers side cv joint. I really just had enough of this car now :( anyone any ideas on how I can find the leak

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Most common place is the selector seal (where the gear linkage attaches to) but there is no permanent fix for this without removing the box and sealing from the inside.

Pretty much all clio sport gear box's weep or drip oil. Just depends how fast yours is losing oil? If its not too bad, keep checking it and top it up.

CV boot isn't too difficult to do or not too expensive to sort at a garage, its a common thing to.

phase 2 172
Can't I do cv boot my self is there any guides? As I did not know if they were seperable on these. Mine is leaking quite bad if I am honest, Enough for it to drip on drive at home. I can leave it stood for days and it won't leak, but take it on a drive and then it drips.

phase 2 172
Just got it, had to do gear mount, dog bone I am ordering and found last owner took the xenons off and fitted faulty angel eyes. So I have to also get some front lights off a 1.2 or something. Makes me just hate the car to be honest

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
In that case get it jacked up and remove any plastic undertray covers. Give it an inspection, if its leacking as bad as you say it will be pretty obvious where its coming from. If not, clean everything up and watch for leaks appearing.

Not changed a CV before, although I have just done a drive shaft this weekend, and it seemed you could lube the shaft (no pun intended) and slide the boot of the end. Garages normally charge about £60-80.

Westy. MX5
Mine is a bit wet where the selector shaft goes into the gearbox, I don't see it as a problem yet. Another possible place to leak when driving is the plastic filler plug if loose, hope jon 172's is there as it is an easy fix.

phase 2 172
I just tightened filler plug as it was loose. I hope it's that but I think it maybe sonething else:( I will do my best to inspect it tomorrow. Any idea where I can get cv boots from for the car? Thanks.

Westy. MX5
I just tightened filler plug as it was loose. I hope it's that but I think it maybe sonething else:( I will do my best to inspect it tomorrow. Any idea where I can get cv boots from for the car? Thanks.

The usual places, Reno, ECP, GSF?. Phone around, you know the old fashioned way. ;)

phase 2 172
That's what was loose on mine the black wing nut? I hope it was that simple but I don't know as previous owner has obviously hidden a few things from me! ;(. Has anyone got any more info on how to get the boot on if it does not seperate please?

Westy. MX5
The black cover on the end of the gear box? Probably me calling it something wrong

Yes thats another place to leak, seen a cracked one before.
The bellhousing is the bit joining the gearbox to the engine, shaped like a bell funny enough.

phase 2 172
Looks to me it's coming from selector shaft and the black wing nut. I hope now i have done wing nut it will slow it down.