ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OMG I Just Noticed Something!

fungusman said:
On top gear website the stig drove both the V6 clio and the cup

Clio Cup

Renault Clio v6

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

The V6 must have some terrible handling to have been beaten by its little brother,

Any comments? Or is this just common?

OH MY GOD NOT THIS SH*T AGAIN......don't anyone here watch Top Gear?

Clio 182 with cup pack was bone dry track 133.8

V6 255 was flooded track 136.2..... minus 4.4secs per lap for the total flooded track and you get 131.8...... 2 seconds faster....

maybe you guys feel a Minardi F1 car is faster than a Ferrari F1 car if the manardi puts up a faster time in the dry than the ferrari did in the wet.....lol ;)

I REST MY CASE.......lol ;)

SimonV6

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I am stunned this thread even exists, how can you compare the 2?, they are completely different, i would never own a 172 or 182 in a million years, why would i, whats there attraction?, i could pick 10 other cars which are there equal, the V6 is so much more, the look, the experience, the rarity, the sound,
A 182 could pass me in the street and i wouldn't even notice it, a V6 would go buy and i gaurantee everyone would look, (and listen), clearly this thread is from some sad people who wish they could afford better.
A car is not just about how quick you get from A to B but how you get there.
Shocking Club

BMW 330d :)
nick s said:
ph1 V6 isn't massively quick. i can put ground on them in my gti. i'd say the ph1 V6 is a bit slower than a cup in a straight line from my experience

You got a turbo or something? ;)

VaVa
daze said:
gonch
Forum User

Car: RenaultSport clio 172 mk2

That's filled in by default mate ^^

And to the V6 owners - If you need a car to attract women and get yourself noticed, you are indeed a little bit sad.

And on the car itself - Love them. Would have one in a heartbeat. Slow or not.

Megane 225 Cup
Andy luvs V6's said:
i think all you 172/182 owners who slate the vee non-stop can shove all your Sh1t up ur big fat 4rs3s n fauk off, i probably know more about cars than quite a lot of you n im probs at least 8 years younger, if not more than all of you, basically what im tryin to say is back off!

im 18 so you must be about 10,

your age shows in the post mate.. it shows.

Megane 225 Cup
not slating v6's at all here, i love them, think they are fantastic, people slate them because unlike the 182 you actually need genuine driving skill to get the most out of them.

MINI JCW
ColinG said:
erm...the v6 interior is built a hell of a lot better than the other clio's

ask any owner!

the V6 has the same interior and it built in the same factory as the 182

Ph2 172
I bought the Trophy because it had back seats and a boot. I've been hankering for a 255 V6 since they came out, but unless I want to run a battered old diesel as well or suddenly win the lottery it's just not going to happen.
I'm amazed at how much grip you can get from the Trophy and the lack of understeer for a front driver is fantastic but I would still take the V6 if I didn't need the space.
(Do prefer the recaros in the Trophy though!)

MINI JCW
SimonV6 said:
OH MY GOD NOT THIS SH*T AGAIN......don't anyone here watch Top Gear?

Clio 182 with cup pack was bone dry track 133.8

V6 255 was flooded track 136.2..... minus 4.4secs per lap for the total flooded track and you get 131.8...... 2 seconds faster....

maybe you guys feel a Minardi F1 car is faster than a Ferrari F1 car if the manardi puts up a faster time in the dry than the ferrari did in the wet.....lol ;)

I REST MY CASE.......lol ;)
SimonV6

Clarkson reckoned 4 secs a lap quicker, however when Nigel Mansell was on the show he reckoned when driving the Suzuki in the wet would only affect a good driver by 1 sec.

Be honest though theres not much in it between the 172/182 or V6 around a track

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
gazcaddy said:
the V6 has the same interior and it built in the same factory as the 182
... but was built by hand on a separate line with a much, much lower volume.

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
TG is good fun, but those track times are pretty much irrelevant. It's not even a proper track, it's an old airfield strip with a few tire stacks and some white lines.

gazcaddy said:
Clarkson reckoned 4 secs a lap quicker, however when Nigel Mansell was on the show he reckoned when driving the Suzuki in the wet would only affect a good driver by 1 sec.

lol.....the suzuki ain't RWD mid and 255bhp though is it......I have to admit that in the wet the v6 is a BLOODY handfull (the suzuki having NO pwer is NOT, its totally different, No matter what our Nige says..... ;)......in the dry the V6 is totally different ;)

Simon

gazcaddy said:

Not agreeing or disagreeing with your comment, and before you ask i have driven Mk1 172, Mk2 182, Mk1 V6 and Mk2 V6 all around the same track!

But please, you be honest a let us know whether you have driven both round a track?????:S

BTW, a 1.2 16v Campus Sport is the way forward, forget all these power models;)

MKIII 138
R Andy said:
... but was built by hand on a separate line with a much, much lower volume.

both are built by sweaty onion smelling french men the only difference is the V6 is hand built hence they actually touch them and put there average paid knowlage and crafsmanship into the V6, not exactly a VW pheaton is it ?

hasnt the whole problem of hedging caused the V6 to get worldwide umm`s and ahhh`s seen as once the grip goes it doesnt have the controllable traction due to its setup to recover.

its like a porsche widow maker without the pace

Clio 182 + Recaros
gonch said:
I am stunned this thread even exists, how can you compare the 2?, they are completely different, i would never own a 172 or 182 in a million years, why would i, whats there attraction?, i could pick 10 other cars which are there equal, the V6 is so much more, the look, the experience, the rarity, the sound,
A 182 could pass me in the street and i wouldn't even notice it, a V6 would go buy and i gaurantee everyone would look, (and listen), clearly this thread is from some sad people who wish they could afford better.
A car is not just about how quick you get from A to B but how you get there.
Shocking Club

Gonch - I pointed out that other vehicles with quicker times would NOT be as desireable as a V6 or any ofthe other RenaultSport car. Fortunately, I can afford a V6 but choose my 182 for day to day use. Giving me the freedom to buy something else for weekend use.

MINI JCW
steveV6 said:
Not agreeing or disagreeing with your comment, and before you ask i have driven Mk1 172, Mk2 182, Mk1 V6 and Mk2 V6 all around the same track!

But please, you be honest a let us know whether you have driven both round a track?????:S

BTW, a 1.2 16v Campus Sport is the way forward, forget all these power models;)

I havent driven any of them round a track, does that matter? If i had Im 100% sure I would get the 182 round faster as I dont claim to be able to drive fast.

All I was saying that in the hands of a good driver theres not much in it

MINI JCW
SimonV6 said:
lol.....the suzuki ain't RWD mid and 255bhp though is it......I have to admit that in the wet the v6 is a BLOODY handfull (the suzuki having NO pwer is NOT, its totally different, No matter what our Nige says..... ;)......in the dry the V6 is totally different ;)

Simon

I wasnt saying there would be 1 second in it, im just saying that Mansell questioned the top gear four second rule for the wet. No doubt the V6255 would have been faster in the dry, it would probably have beaten the 182 and it should do remember its does cost 13k more

SimonV6 said:
lol.....my wife has a Mk3 1.4 16v 98 Dynamique S on order.....maybe I will give her a race......lol ;)

Simon

I nearly went for a Mk3, but the deal on the Mk2 was to good to miss, get mine in May - not long to wait now. Then i can show some of these whipper snappers whos the daddy!!!!!!!!!

Renault ChaVio
This is exhausting. I can't believe how some of you guys continually miss the point and somehow think the 182 has some sort of superleague ability. It is an seriously well sorted small hothatch that takes the fight to cars in the next bracket up like the Golf GTi et al. Makes them look silly as the cars lightweight principles give it better handling, acceleration and braking than the heavier, more powerful and more expensive alternative. A cracking little car.

But that's all it is. A great front wheel drive hatchback based on some French shopping cart. The Vee is a proper performance car and there is no comparison. All this rubbish about the 182 being faster is such piss. just because some journalists have s**t in their pants at the opportunity to drive the car fast cross country through fear of their own ability whereas a heated over hatch anyone can drive fast. I had a bloke in a 182 take me on and he was totally abliterated. Even I was surprised at how much by.

Funny thing is that guy had a go. We had a bit of a chat alongside each other at one set of lights and credit to him he was man enough to find out if the self perpetuating drivel was true. Interesting how many other 182s that I see on the road and all of a sudden their pace drops off when they see the Vee. None of them fancy it – they just pretend they haven't seen it and hope it will go away.

I do c*** track days, have paid for coaching and really use my car how the people that had the vision to build it had intended. It is a car that keeps you on your toes and is incredibly rewarding to drive fast. The plebs who have never driven one – not that they would know how have the ignorance to claim a car my sister would buy is a better performance car? Even she wouldn't come to that conclusion and she is daft!

That Topgear test was on a soaking wet track. Clarkson used the word 'flooded' and it went around in exactly the same time as the Aston Martin Vanquish (also in the wet), was faster than the Maserati 3200 and only a little slower than the Elise 111s. They also mentioned that it out accelerated the Porsche Carrera C4S. Hardly a slow car.

EVO's PCOTY 2003 ranked it like this:
1 GT3.................................94.3
2 Gallado............................92.9
3 Clio V6............................92.4
4 Stradale...........................92.0
5 Noble GTO-3R................91.7
6 M3 CSL...........................87.7
7 ST1 Spec C.....................87.4
8 VX220 Turbo...................87.0
9 Continental GT................77.7
10 Cayenne Turbo.............76.6

Clio Renaultsport 182
Evo PCOTY 2005:

1st Ford GT.....95.1
2nd F430.....93.0
3rd Clio 182 Trophy.....92.9
4th Gallardo Se.....92.0
5th M3 CS.....90.7
etc.

:rasp:

Personally, I'd love a ph2 V6 but it's a bit out of my price range. I love my 182 but surely you can't compare a £15k 4 cyl ff car with a £27k 6 cyl mr?

I'm a big fan of all Renaultsports in all shapes and sizes and, imho, argueing that the top-of-the-range model isn't as good as the next one down is pretty daft. Sure the 182 can punch way above it's weight and it's a fantastic little car - that's why most "ordinary" drivers (like me) can get a lot out of them. The difference is when you have someone who can really drive at the wheel - then the V6 will hammer the point home.

Just wish I had the skill/money to be able to own and drive a 255 like it was intended, but in the mean time I'm more than happy to put up with a modified shopping trolley:approve:

MINI JCW
AntV6, I agree with alot what you say. The 182 is a supermini with a powerful engine in the front but considering the V6 is still a clio does that make the V6 a supermini with an even bigger engine in the back?

I like the V6, I agree that they are faster than 172/182 but not by a massive amount. I know the world doesnt revolve around 1/4 miles but the two cars times are not that much different.

the funny thing is I think the 182 is ridiciloulsy good value for money and I think this makes the V6 look expensive. However compare the V6 to say an Audi S3, Golf R32 then i think the V6 looks good value

MINI JCW
steveV6 said:
Could you afford to run a Ferrari though? thats the question.

No I couldnt and thats the point I was making, you can get a V6 for 182 money but not eveyone can afford to run them

German Barge
this is exactly the reason why i don't come on this forum anymore... its sad to see what its become compared the old days of having my willy hybird...

why can't we all just get along?

like for like... you buy what you buy because it suits your needs, and obviously your taste

its like saying why are you drinking a jack daniels and coke when you could be drinking morgan's spiced and coke...

Its French, Its Renault, Its a Clio... this is a clio forum... lets just get on with it.

posted exactly the same reply in the other topic... as its not worth writing out twice.