ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Omg Look At This!!

Ive decided now that im getting the Alpine CDA-9855R headunit this xmas but i thought i might as well get my amp and subs while im at it.
Im thinking of getting two Alpine SWR-12's but i dont know what amp to get because i get confused with all the jargon lol

could somone please choose me an amp, and if you have any other suggestions of subs ported, sealed or just think that two alpine r12's is a stupid thing to do then say because its all bloody confusing. lol

cheers, shaun

Megane Mk4
You need something that will run two subs at just short of full power. example, 2x 600w subs, get a 1000w amp.. that way, your less likely to blow the amp and subs apart. As for choosing the right amp, I couldnt tell you that one. Someone else might be able to recommend a decent amp.. They all vary.

As for your thread title, bit deceiving! :nono: pmsl

Civic type R
Shaun,

I own my own car audio centre in Lowestoft, and also supply the Type R owners club / forum with all their ICE equip, so i can advise the correct equip for you and you needs as i have alot of knowledge and experience.

There is a big selection out there and amongst them is some cracking gear but also some shockingly bad stuff.

Firstly what sort of music do you listen to????
Secondly what is your rough budget you have to work with???
Lastly, buy stateing you want 2x 12" subs i assume you like bass. Is it high output you want or SQ?????

steve

high bass and good quality if thats possible lol i already have some good old 13cm speakers in both front and back doors but want more bass. i listen to DNB, trance, RNB, hip hop, gangster rap the lot so i want fast bass for dnb and trance but deep tuneful bass for the other stuff. Im working to a budget of around 300 maby pushing 400 for the subs and amp and getting it fitted because i havent really got the knowlege to do it myself.

ps. sorry about the name, at least it worked lol

Shaun

muz

big fat japanese bus
Right

First what do you want ?

Do you want a high quality system or one that booms and will sound loud outside that car?

Next do you want flash or subtle?

Thirdly £££££ How much?

Give me an answer and I wil spec you a system

muz

big fat japanese bus
oops just read one of your responses!

£400 quid more quality than boom look at my 20 inch woofer that sounds crap I take it?

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/exchange/showproduct.php?product=4457&sort=1&cat=4&page=2

Great Digital AMP will run 2/3 subs

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/exchange/showproduct.php?product=4497&sort=1&cat=6&page=1

two very nice subs for £180

That leaves £50 for MDF etc to make a box or £50 to pay someone to make one for you

THis does not include RCAs or Speaker Wire ot Power Wire though, you will need at least 8 guage for that amp

Polo + Micra
l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:
You need something that will run two subs at just short of full power. example, 2x 600w subs, get a 1000w amp.. that way, your less likely to blow the amp and subs apart. As for choosing the right amp, I couldnt tell you that one. Someone else might be able to recommend a decent amp.. They all vary.

As for your thread title, bit deceiving! :nono: pmsl

wrong;)

2x 600w subs = 1400w amp ideally

and steer well clear of audio barn as they are b****cks

yeh thats why i was looking at alpine as i know they are good. but put it this way ill spend £400 tops on subs and amp and fitting ive had one bloke in an ICE shop local to me quote 300 for subs, amp, wiring, and he will fit it all for 300 but he was tryin to fob off some shitty looking and sounding make of sub which id never even heard of so i said i would think about it. these subs have got to be able to take some punishment lol

Megane Mk4
Dink said:
wrong;)

2x 600w subs = 1400w amp ideally

and steer well clear of audio barn as they are b****cks

maybe so dink .. but I'm a believer in not tempting fate and wanting a fire in the back :D

Polo + Micra
well a clipped signal is ten million times worse than a slight bit of clean overpowering

bass_direct

ClioSport Club Member
  375bhp mk1 +Williams
So your budget is £400 and you want 2 x Alpine Type R's...

Let's work with the amp first. As the Type R's are 300w RMS, and have different voice coil configurations, there'll should be loads of amps you can choose from.

The type r's come in dual 2 ohm and dual 4ohm, so if you have 2 of them, you'll need an amp that does at least 600w RMS @ 1ohm (for the dual 4's) or 600w RMS @ 2ohms (for the dual 2's).

Something like this would be ok..

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3567.html

1000w RMS @ 1ohm (14.4v)... If you have the 2 x dual 4's, wired in paralell, this amp would give each sub 500w RMS... overpowering subs isn't a problem as long as your careful with the gain control! NEVER underpower a sub!

As for the subs, you'll want the dual 4ohm version if you were to get this amp..

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/533.html

w/ box http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1191.html

That keeps you with extra wiring for wires etc etc.

As you've said you like various types of music, i'd suggest a sealed box as a ported box needs to be custom designed to the sub and will take time and money...

You could go for one decent sub/amp but that's to be left for another post :)

bass_direct

ClioSport Club Member
  375bhp mk1 +Williams
Yeah most likely.. ported boxes are also usually much bigger than sealed boxes so you'll have no space for 'shopping'..

Example of 1 decent sub within reasonable budget?..

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=2962&cadid=0ab89f0c5d9ca1be900c25eb05e1e9b7

The R.E SE, good sound quality and will go stupidly loud in the right box with the right amp... Don't let the RMS figure fool you though, you may think it takes 'only' 600w RMS, but it'll handle shitloads more!

bass_direct

ClioSport Club Member
  375bhp mk1 +Williams
Well if you want to save boot space, go for a sealed box, it will still sound good...

If you go the ported route, you'll need a custom made box and it WILL fill up the whole boot

Clio 182
i got my system on a budget, I found buying second hand from ebay saved me a lot of money and got me better equipment for a similar amount as a budget system new. Just a thought.... BTW it all looks new anyway. I just took my time and got a bit each month when a bargain came up on ebay.