ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One of the cars in my garage.

Trophy #473
Been working on a friends Car for a while now, Started out storing his car for him since he went into the Marines and his rents moving house with no space for it, he had already hit a badger in it before he dropeed it off so i agreed to fix it up.... but the ideas started to flow over text messages (mostly on my part) So It started to go on from there. Anyway i'll let the pics do the talking, I know the concensors on CS towards bodykits, which is fine im not that much of a fan either but i really like this one. excuse the two sets of wheels, one set are another mates 18's.

when i got the car:

looks ok from a distance.

before002-1.jpg

front bumper was mullered, and drivers sideskirt had been twisted and ripped off, a big dent in the drivers rear quarter pannel, rear bumper had a crack in it, big scratches down the passanger rear quarter and sideskirt, millions of stone chips and boot had a wierd line in it.

100_0512-1.jpg

100_0509-1.jpg

The Repairs

yup, that is Quality Solvent ;)

CIMG0665.jpg

CIMG0666.jpg

CIMG0667.jpg

CIMG0670.jpg

CIMG0672.jpg

I then smoothed out the rub strips and pulled out the dent. Sideskirts were then reinforced and repaired.

CIMG0734-1.jpg

CIMG0737.jpg

CIMG0756.jpg

the boot had already been smoothed.... but not very well as there was some weired raised area in the filler. so i resmoothed that.

CIMG0739.jpg

No pics of me welding the plates in but the handles were smoothed over, solenoids were already fitted. doors primed

102_0679.jpg

102_0680.jpg

Bumpers Primed and foam filled for extra rigidity and to reduce flex and stress marks showing through. looking like new

102_0681.jpg

102_0682.jpg

A late decision to smooth the sideskirts in, Im particulay proud of these as they are so solid, bonded and screwed to the sill along the length... and 5 brackets on either side for good measure, smoothed in and looking fly.

102_0683.jpg

102_0685.jpg

102_0686.jpg

Bonnet and wings were riddled with stone chips so they were all filled or flatted out, alot of time has been spent on the small details, the parts that i believe make a car and paint job. loads of little details ive forgoten to mention like new mounting brackets for the front bumper and every scratch and dint removed etc

and tomorrow i'll be spraying it, cant wait.

Last edited:
I love to see work in progress threads like this, even though i'm not a fan of huge bodykits i still find it interesting as i once helped my mate do his corsa, lots of smoothing etc. Good work, is he paying you? :)

Trophy #473
yup, mates rate, paint and consumables came to 300 labour is 450. but i bough a brand new compressor and gun for £400, so im doing it for £50 lol. I enjoy it tho.

Trying to pursuade him to buy some new wheels, 18's fit with loads of room, i think when he collects the car he'll be amazed and hopefuly buy some 19's will finish the car off really well i think.

Coming along nicely.

What engines it got in it ??
The 5 cylinder 20vt engine from the coupe would be lovely in there, and a set of the coupes Brembo's too :approve:

Trophy #473
mostly self taught and reading books on it, crashed my first car and had no choise but to repair it, its grew from that. Still cant get a job in the industry tho, to old for an apprentaship and dont have a qualification to show i can do it, even tho i can. but im eventually building a name for myself in town so maybe that will help. My friends call me 'Naths Autos'.

no just a 4cly 12v 1.4.... brembo were an idea too

very impressed nathan mate, well in, not my cuppa, car wise or kit wise, but i love doing what youve done (ie DIY) so major kudos for the quality of work

jamie

An orange one
agree! i dont really like the overall look of the car or kit..

but that quality is right up there with the best, its all in the details and I think you've done your mate proud!

just go and look at someone like peugeot ecosse labour rates for similar work!

nice one :):)

RS Clio 200
hate the body kits etc, but looks like an awesome job.
be interesting to see painted pics tongiht!!

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
not my thing, but I take doff my hat in your general direction in recognition of your skills fella :)

mk4 golf gttdi180
mostly self taught and reading books on it, crashed my first car and had no choise but to repair it, its grew from that. Still cant get a job in the industry tho, to old for an apprentaship and dont have a qualification to show i can do it, even tho i can. but im eventually building a name for myself in town so maybe that will help. My friends call me 'Naths Autos'.

no just a 4cly 12v 1.4.... brembo were an idea too
go to college and do a course then youll be able to get a job .im starting to do that now but im only at college doing a mechanics course.so eventually hopefully ill be able to do both.:)

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Now that's some seriously impressive work you have done so far Nathan. Really looking forward to seeing it finished off. I bet it will look better than if it had come straight out of the factory from new.

Your mate is going to be blown away by the results and is going to be one happy chappie.

Quality job. Well done!

Trophy #473
well here it is, Battle ship grey....

doubt it, no this is the base coat for the colour(s) that will be applyed over the top. Boot doors and bonnet were removed and inside the door jams and inside the boot and bonnet were done first, then parts went back on the car, doors boot and bonnet closed, i then went over the whole car with 3 coats of grey base coat ( i know ut looks like primer but its not) just shy of 3 litres to be exact. top coat and laquer will be applyed tomorrow after a clean and wipe down. it got a bit late in the day to start spraying again.

102_0687.jpg

102_0688.jpg

102_0689.jpg

bumpers arnt fastened on properly btw

ATS CUP'd Dynamique
wow... i dont like bodykitted cars but well done mate looks good and your hard effort has paid off ( and it isn't even painted yet !)

2LTR 16V TURBO CLIO!
Nice work mate!

Fancy painting my williams?? Might have two for you if theprice is right!

Pm me!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Top job Nathan. That looks the mutts already. It's going to look spanking once finished. If you didn't lve so far away I'd probably ask you do sort out my kit and colour coding. (Will hopefull be booked in next week).

Trophy #473
heres the colour, its not laqured yet. I also ran out of paint, no a massive problem but mean i wont finish it till tomorrow. still got to spray the passanger side, boot and rear bumper, and go over the drivers side once more as its a little patchy same with the bonnet. anyway. the colour is called Twilight Royal (3Y), its a pearlesent purple, its alot deeper than in the pics.

102_0691.jpg

102_0692.jpg

102_0693.jpg

blobs on the pics are from the lense btw.
thank you for all the lovely comments.

nathan

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Wow, that's an amazing colour! It's going to be a stunner when finished. Nice work Nathan. Oh and, maybe you could consider moving a little closer to me? ;) lol

Trophy #473
laquer on. got quite a few bits of s**t in the paint which pissed me off, and one run, which is pretty good considering i thinned the laquer down a bit. most of the dust will flat out but some of it is under a few coats of laquer, went round the whole car about 5 times, used 8 litres, so got enough thickness to play with after :)

102_0699.jpg

102_0700.jpg

102_0701.jpg

im not that happy with the finish tbh, alot more crap in it than antisipated, i can get rid of most but i could have done better. but, not bad considering.

106 GTi
I was wondering what kind of finish you would get painting in that garage.

With all that clear on there you should plenty to play with for a flat and polish though.