ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One thing I can't STAND ON CARS! Is it only me?

2002 Clio Expression
When I look side on any vehicle and it has the front disc and rear hub arrangement.. Behind the kerbed or smooth alloys is the rusted hub face and totally spoils the appearance!

Yes I am a new member to Clio Sport, but I wish to be a great member so this first post might be either teaching how to suck eggs or some people might lift an eyebrow to it. This is a very casual post not to be taken to seriously and I do put my hand up if there are bits wrong as I am writing this up months after I done this and it is late...I know excuses already

An extremely easy job that I think can really shine how tidy your vehicle is, I believe I might not have the quickest or badest looking clio's but I still care about presentation. So this small post just explains how I went about catering for them poor hubs :)

First thing you need to question before undergoing this, and this might sound like thinking far to ahead but. Will your brakes need mechanical attention any time soon, will you need to change shoes or hubs? Or even wheel bearings? If you are sure you'll last long enough pushing that middle pedal than go straight for it.

Now this is all just what I did, I don't stand by my word and say it is the law as you can do it anyway you want to. You can spray it if you rather or take the hub off and paint it.. Hey what do I know? :D

Equipment needed:

• Wire Brush
  • Rough grade sand paper
  • Medium & Smooth grade paper
  • Paint (essential it can last high temperatures) I used Hammerite
  • Paint brush
  • Brake cleaner or Water and old sponge *anything really to clean off rubbing down residue
Normal equipment to jack and secure the vehicle upright. and I do stress SECURE! Axle stands and if you have not got some then perceiver but whatever you do PLEASE BE SAFE!

img0077copy.jpg

After cracking the wheel studs off and raising the vehicle in the air, securing it then it's time bust out the wire brush and stool and take your time taking the big chunks off. *Yes in the photo you can see I was having a light beer while working, hey it was summer!

This goes for sanding down as well, make sure you do all over the hub evenly releasing the handbrake and spinning it 180 and rubbing it down. I had a friend or forgot one side of the hub (so bright I know)

Sanding down is the fun part, like many things in cars spending more time in preparation is always best. Taking your time sanding down with rough paper, and spending even more time on the lighter grade paper. This is where the bucket and sponge come in...It is essential I can't stress that you thoroughly wash the hub. Clean all the residue of the rubbing down, how much would you hate yourself when the imperfections come out?

img0078rrz.jpg

Paint… Yes it's the time but take your time, mix the paint thoroughly make sure it has fully mixed same for if your spraying it another point I cannot STRESS that shaking the can is so vital in the distribution of the paint.

I went over my hubs with two coats of Hammerite as I knew it is pretty thick strong stuff, a very even base coat with a good drying time and then a nice smooth spread top coat. Always follow the drying time on the label they are sure to know their own product.
img0080dy.jpg
Nice and tidy...

After a good dry, whack the alloys on lower the vehicle and tighten your wheel studs tight. I like to use a torque wrench only because I'm use to :)

img0083ja.jpg

img0084qq.jpg

A job that takes less than half an hour in working not counting putting the kettle on as it dries :D
As you can see I did not go for a quite exotic eye catching colour I just wish to make it tidy.. And still I get many people bringing up "Is that your Clio with the tidy painted hubs"

Next job I did was the refurb on the alloy wheels :) which the post will be up soon..Here is a sneak peak...
img0150ou.jpg

Thanks for reading and I hope you agree how much it changes the apperance..

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Looking good! personally I'd have done them black but thats just me :)

SG9 Forester STi
Wheels look brand new. I agree on the black but the silver does make them look clean :) Well done and welcome to the site!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Honest opinion... The silver looks f**king terrible. You are just highlighting the fact you don't have rear discs.

Don't get me wrong, impressive work on the cleaning, but black would have looked a million times better.

looking good, though far too much effort put into painting the drums, wire brush, paint on the hammerite, job done!

Westy. MX5
i appreciate you look after your car but really---------Youv'e got toooooo much time on our hands.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
as said, looks good, but i would have done black,
hide the fact you have drums! lol

welcome to the site btw!

Stripped yozza'd cup
LOL. That is a seriously lengthy post for a pretty simple procedure. But At least you put the effort in.... Will be useful when you get onto writing techy posts later in your CS life :)

Welcome mate.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
needs black drums, any other colour on drums is boy racer yo. Good work though

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i thought i heard once that you're not supposed to paint the surface that the wheel bolts to either,
might be wrong though!

2002 Clio Expression
For which it seems everyone is saying what I thought..The plan was black but at the time I couldn't find the paint, after I painted them guess what turns up in the workshop.. Hey at least I didn't choose electric green * It was lying about in the workshop but I was not tempted one bit!

Yes I did put a long process into working on them "theduck" but the only reason to this is recently I been doing so much bodywork at work I have been use to rubbing down so many times xD

Answering you Soot1e I really don't have to much time on my hands, I done this between coming back from running a GT race car and had only Monday to do this. As I was off to work in the Clio cup in Silverstone for Renault World Series and yes my car did win First place by 3seconds ahead :)

FUbAr it is odd but, just say I tell someone I have the Clio in the car park they ask if it is the one with the painted hubs, question is if its for the wrong reason lol

Lets just say Vicky the one in the photo told a different tale of the others :D

Cheers Jack Kemp future posts will be pretty interesting considering we just got a sand blaster in the workshop..:p I didnt just want to add some boring post.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes as well..

2002 Clio Expression
Yes very true..My wheels are torqued everytime and my wheels come off the vehicle quite throughly, spanner check after long journeys like driving to donington park.

Dodgy one
i thought i heard once that you're not supposed to paint the surface that the wheel bolts to either,
might be wrong though!

Its to do with the fact that the wheel isnt sitting completely flat against the hub face, Minor chhance but where someones lashed it on really thick it could cause wheel wobble.

Best thing to do would be to go over it with a blade or block with some sandpaper to clean it off

Looks good, would of gone for black (only my opinion). Post the wheel guide up, I have the same alloys and there in a right state!