ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Operating system???

clio 16v
I'm currently building a new PC. The PC I have at the moment is installed with XP pro the 32 bit version for which I still have the disk and key for. The PC im building is an upgrade to dual core and my question is do I need a 64 bit version of XP? or will the 32 bit version work?

Better than yours. C*nt.
32 bit will work and be better unless you have 3Gb+ of RAM.

Also beware, if it's an OEM licence it cannot be legally transferred.

clio 16v
Ok thanks. Im only installing 2GB of RAM until the end of the month so will just start with the 32 bit. Are there any advantages to installing a 64 bit version?

340i
youll be fine with 32bit, as stated above not worth it unless you using more than 4GB of ram..

Also there are more avaliable drivers for the 32bit O/S.

BMW Z4 3.0i
I thought the whole 64-bit thing hadn't really kicked off at all. Isn't 64-bit pretty redundant unless you're using 64-bit programs? (of which I thought there are still hardly any).

...and with regards to Mike having a problem with continuing using your legitimately purchased copy of Windows when you build a new pc. Really? I mean really mate? come on. IMO it's cheeky as fook of Microsoft to expect you to buy a new copy of windows each time you upgrade your pc. Do you buy a fresh copy of each of your games?

Better than yours. C*nt.
I thought the whole 64-bit thing hadn't really kicked off at all. Isn't 64-bit pretty redundant unless you're using 64-bit programs? (of which I thought there are still hardly any).

...and with regards to Mike having a problem with continuing using your legitimately purchased copy of Windows when you build a new pc. Really? I mean really mate? come on. IMO it's cheeky as fook of Microsoft to expect you to buy a new copy of windows each time you upgrade your pc. Do you buy a fresh copy of each of your games?

No, I'm just advising on the cold hard facts. If you bought your system with the OS installed or bought an OEM licence for the computer then that is legally tied to that computer, not your new one.

I have sufficient licencing to cover my machines through select agreement, but it's up to you.

IMO it's cheeky as fook of Microsoft to expect you to buy a new copy of windows each time you upgrade your pc. Do you buy a fresh copy of each of your games?

It's not really. The price for an OEM copy is MAJORLY cut down for this reason..

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
IMO it's cheeky as fook of Microsoft to expect you to buy a new copy of windows each time you upgrade your pc. Do you buy a fresh copy of each of your games?

No becuase I buy full versions of games, they don't do OEM copies :p

As Griff said, the OEM license is cheap as chips compared to the full versions most of the time.

340i
To be honest you should be fine unless you use the same serial key on the same computer a few times, as it may say this key has already been used and if you make a few hardware changes like i did you get something like...

"this computer has gone under significent hardware changes, please contact microsoft or your system admin"

but if you call Microsoft and say your old PC died, majour hardware failure, ive upgraded a few parts etc etc they should give you a code which you could use on your new PC ;)

TBH you should be fine as enough people do it and Microsoft know they do!

clio 16v
I dont have an OEM copy it's a downloaded from newsgroups. Have used it on about 10 different pc's;)

There are ways around WGA!

BMW Z4 3.0i
I thought it was only Vista that makes any kind of note of the hardware paired with the copy of windows and I thought even in that case it only recognises it as a new system if you use a new motherboard.

Ethics and details it turns out are all irrelevant in this case because he's not even using a genuine copy to begin with!

clio 16v
sorry I probably should have made that clear to begin with. IMO microsoft are scum and I'm not about to pour more money into bill gates coffers.

*runs, hides and awaits the abuse for copyright infringment*

Last edited:
  BMW Z4 3.0i
RE: jbennett1375 I'm not arsed mate. Next time I build a desktop I will probably buy a genuine copy of Vista. But I have used copied versions of XP in the past and certainly won't hesistate to keep using the same copy of Vista when/if I were to upgrade my computer.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Microsoft are scum, but I'd say their software is very expensive IMO. It must provide them with an excessive profit margin.

clio 16v
RE: jbennett1375 I'm not arsed mate. Next time I build a desktop I will probably buy a genuine copy of Vista. But I have used copied versions of XP in the past and certainly won't hesistate to keep using the same copy of Vista when/if I were to upgrade my computer.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Microsoft are scum, but I'd say their software is very expensive IMO. It must provide them with an excessive profit margin.

Thats a better way of saying what I meant. They arent scum but as you said they make far to much money from overpriced products. When and if I do upgrade to Vista I will buy a legitimate copy simply because I've heard of MAJOR problems from people running copied versions.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I personally think £60 for an OEM copy of Windows isn't overkill on a new machine, particularly when you take into account that some of the people that whinge about this cost are the people who have paid MORE for an arguably slower memory technology (DDR3).

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I personally think £60 for an OEM copy of Windows isn't overkill on a new machine, particularly when you take into account that some of the people that whinge about this cost are the people who have paid MORE for an arguably slower memory technology (DDR3).

Exactly, that's what 2 or 3 games at todays prices.