ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opps I ruined a Trophy - track car build

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
That I dont know. Someone with better knowledge than I will hopefully comment on that :D The good thing about the Clio interior plastics is you just pull them off and in 30 seconds disconnect the plug!

Yeah, the button down the right hand side where the cruise control switch is fully disengages ESP.

I disable it by the button for track and it's fine.

No :D. I think the ABS either needs to detect a fault to turn off - maybe unplugging one sensor - or you remove the fuse, gain loads of rear bias and crash on the first corner...

I thought that if you were braking and the car was in a slide, it would help to activate the abs on certain wheels for stability. Either way its not needed!

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Pictures are uploaded from the day :D Is that three wheels?
50570196001_27d52541d2_c.jpg

50568773138_1bf71cdde3_c.jpg

50569564701_63304b1952_c.jpg

@Kev@KAM "you were a cracking driver and that thing handled so well" on behalf from the red 3rs 400bhp ;) ( he doesn't an account on here)

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Ha! Its a small world. Do you know Hasan as well? He trailered me home :D I was jealous of his 400bhp. Does the Meg have a diff? His corner exit and straight line acceleration made me jealous.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Nice peddling! Never seen a Trophy corner so flat 😉

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Nice peddling! Never seen a Trophy corner so flat 😉

This car is an enigma :D

The Sachs dampers have their place for sure but it would not be on track compared to this setup. My thoughts on the original car vs now (old setup was Sachs + Cooksport springs) The rollcentre correction kit and increased caster have transformed the car. It does not react to and follow the direction of the road surface as much despite being lower still on race suspension. I'd say if I could get more caster I would try it :D If anyone is going to lower their Clio these mods should be on their essential list alongside an LSD.

The Tractive suspension itself also corrects the natural understeer characteristics and it put the fun factor in. Maybe Renault missed a trick here with the Sachs suspension. With advanced damping at the rear a stiffer rear spring could have been used. I'm tempted to say with the Tractive you wouldnt need to go significantly softer to do a road setup but primarily would just want the ride height increased for ground clearance. Things have moved on technically in the last 15years.

How were the brakes?

I was able to brake as late as I wanted and the car largely stayed stable. I think I only had one twitch under heavy braking into Paddock Hill Bend for the whole day as I started to brake harder and harder as the track dried though I put that to an unknown minor driver error. Baiscally if you are never thinking about braking its doing something right :D It was not grabbing in the wet at all. I may try W5 on the rear next :D Its hard to quantify how much advantage the suspension is giving to control the weight transfer but the setup works for this car for certain. Another point to note is I am not running the same rake as the original chassis setup. If I raised the rear more it would be more nervous and maybe more likely to lock the rear brakes but I'd rather toe the rear out a little to sharpen the handling than take this route.

Ha! Its a small world. Do you know Hasan as well? He trailered me home :D I was jealous of his 400bhp. Does the Meg have a diff? His corner exit and straight line acceleration made me jealous.
Indeed, no I don't believe I do. I think he does have a diff as it's a cup Még. Doesn't hang about for sure, leaves my poor Clio standing with no effort.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
I was able to brake as late as I wanted and the car largely stayed stable. I think I only had one twitch under heavy braking into Paddock Hill Bend for the whole day as I started to brake harder and harder as the track dried though I put that to an unknown minor driver error. Baiscally if you are never thinking about braking its doing something right :D It was not grabbing in the wet at all. I may try W5 on the rear next :D Its hard to quantify how much advantage the suspension is giving to control the weight transfer but the setup works for this car for certain. Another point to note is I am not running the same rake as the original chassis setup. If I raised the rear more it would be more nervous and maybe more likely to lock the rear brakes but I'd rather toe the rear out a little to sharpen the handling than take this route.
Nice one thanks mate, so even with the more aggressive pad on the rear you weren't getting into ABS? I'm running a standard brembo pad in the rear and think I could go more aggressive.

Paddock is a tough one, I think line choice plays a big role here as with the undulation it makes braking in straight line difficult. I like to run in the middle-right of the track and aim for the marshals post that's just over the crest and brake at the end of the pitwall. The rear will be lively! This puts you in line to link up with the start of the green tarmac at the escape road where you aim for a late apex - missing the kerb - and maximise the downhill part of the track for better acceleration. Once you've got the thing turned you can get back on the power.