ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

optimum gear change light

Why didnt Renault fit this at the top in the center of the dashboard, instead of down in the corner where you cant see it??

Nippy white cup

I agree with you m8, only really noticable in the dark. Prob is mine doent come on in 4th until 120+ lol

hi, what does this light look like? Is it the one of a gear stick?

Just the manual says this is the light that comes on when you are over reving the engine.

Cheers

P.S this is my first post, so pls be gently

my god his first post and he is right hehe welcome :)

its nowt to do with optimum change its the over rev warning light hence its not in a really visibal place

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yes I dont think renault ever claimed it to be an optimum shift light, just a "ouch its starting to hurt" light.

no the brochure for renault says it is an optimum gear change indicator and that is why it comes on around 6500 rpm, ie peak power but at the end of the day you shouldnt need a sh*tty little green light if you know how to drive.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Locky on 10 October 2003

Why didnt Renault fit this at the top in the center of the dashboard, instead of down in the corner where you cant see it??
Its on the left of the rev counter on the mk1 (if fitted) and its a better place than where it is oin a mk2/Cup!

To be honest, I dont even use it as I cant feckin see it!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 10 October 2003

Because its not an optimum gear shift light, its a warning light to say, "CHANGE GEAR!"
Correct...

It just warns you that youre approaching the limiter, hence why it comes on earlier when the car is cold(er) and the rev limit is restricted!

I have to look over the top of the steering wheel to watch it come on. You know, foot to the floor, waiting for the light to come on, crash into car in front.......

I dont use it either as the rev counter tells me whats going on, but its just one of those things that seems silly... Of course I wanted to see it come on after I ran my car in so I gave it some and I had to peek over the steering wheel.Its more dodgy than a useful warning as you are looking for it while the cars screaming and things are coming up fast in front..

I think its more a novelty item but it was just a passing thought... none of the other warning lights are tucked away where u cant see them.

Oh and by the way... whats the deal with the so called stainless steel exhaust. I went around my exhaust with a magnet and its only the tail pipe that is stainless...

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 10 October 2003

i can see it but dont need to use it just use ya ears or the rev limiter lol
I didnt know i had one till you showed me yours ;)

you shouldnt be driving around looking at the bloody thing anyway, lol

i think passengers would be scared sh*tless if i was thrashing around looking at the dashboard rather than the road

Quote: Originally posted by BaBOo on 10 October 2003

I got a Pivot shift light, it helps heaps.
Is this one of the ones that wires in to the coil? Was it hard to fit? Any pics? How much etc. etc?!

And yes, the dashboard shift light is just on the 172s. Later MK1 172s dont have them for some reason.

E36 323i coupe

Yeah but Steve, your seats are so low that you cant see the dashboard at all.

For anyone who doesnt know him Mr steve-hall has a very nice pair of KONIG seats in his car, which are very comfortable, grippy and very low... just like a good sports car, and a fine young lady*.

*I may be getting a Cup in a couple of weeks, but might just have to keep dreaming the perfect accessory