ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Options for hard jack points?

So guys,

I have been (and previous owners) using the sill seams as jack points and they are a little worse for wear. I find them to the be safe points but I would like to reinforce them when the car is stripped down.

My stands are the type shown below and I am wondering what I can do to suit these. I was thinking of cleaning up what is there and welding on a steel plate that these stands can securely accommodate.

Thoughts? Any photos for inspiration. What have you got?

Thanks.

download.jpg

At the rear of the car you can use the rear beam. You can also use the chassis rails front and rear, just use a pad or cardboard so you dont scratch away the rubber coating.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
At the rear of the car you can use the rear beam. You can also use the chassis rails front and rear, just use a pad or cardboard so you dont scratch away the rubber coating.

This.

I think you're looking into it too much tbh. Use the rear beam on the back and the chassis rails on the front. I've got some of these for the front as the rail sits in them perfectly and then some like the photo you've put up for the rear.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I normally jack the front up off the sub-frame bracket bolts (with a jack pad), at the back where the join the chassis. Then put the stands under the big bolt in the front subframe at the back of the wishbone, just behind the ARB.

Clio
I have been (and previous owners) using the sill seams as jack points and they are a little worse for wear. I

So are the actual seams the place where all the manuals say to jack the car up. They certainly seem a bit flimsy, but is that what they mean. Just checking cause I've never been sure and if I have to change a wheel just want to be sure it's ok.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So are the actual seams the place where all the manuals say to jack the car up. They certainly seem a bit flimsy, but is that what they mean. Just checking cause I've never been sure and if I have to change a wheel just want to be sure it's ok.
Don't use the sill at the front. Look underneath and you'll see the rails running down at the front. Use these.

Sills are fine at the back to use most of the time

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Those weak sill jacking points are a problem which I’m dealing with at the moment.

About 2 years ago, I used ATS to replace two tyres and the monkeys absolutely mangled my front jacking points.

CAC3CCA6-EDFB-4651-9013-5637CEBB7115.jpeg
Just as others have mentioned, I also never jack from those points as they are a bit too delicate. However, I’m going to sort them out and strengthen them to make sure that careless garages won’t cause me trouble again.

Plan:
- Rub down the rust to bare metal
- Apply bilt hamber rust converter
- Force cavity wax into the seam
- Straighten out using some big hammers, etc
- Make a reinforcement pad using box section steel
- Cover the box section in seam sealer where it makes contact with the body
- Bolt into place using existing jacking point hole

I’ll take pictures as I go and I’ll post when I’m done.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
As has been mentioned. I always use the chassis rails up front as my sills are butchered

I use one of these for the rear though as there's not much weight at the back anyway

Screenshot_20220213-100607_eBay.jpg

Clio
Pretty sure that won't bend.

Because the sills are like cardboard, I always felt like I was in the wrong place, even though I wasn't.

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
That’s great and it’ll make a huge difference to have an easily accessible, strong jacking point. Mine will be very similar, but seam sealed and bolted on instead of welded.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
We added a bit of box section on my old Cup.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’ve seen some weld in thicker plate on the very front of the subframe and jack off of that. All other suggestions above are also good points to jack from

Clio
As has been mentioned. I always use the chassis rails up front as my sills are butchered

I use one of these for the rear though as there's not much weight at the back anyway

View attachment 1580146
If they made a thicker version of these with the groove deeper that the sills could fit into, it would be ideal for jacking the sills and stop the sills buckling. Or maybe the groove in that one is enough to protect the sills.

Last edited:
  Clio
Actually the slot on that yellow one is too deep and is pressing on the metal each side of the sills - I'm not sure if that's a good thing or if it will crush there?

jackpad1.jpg

Clio
So as well as the chassis rails, if I want to Jack it up from the front, is anywhere on the front suspension subframe ok? Sometimes I Jack on the join of 4&5 front suspension subframe & front suspension lower arms - is that ok? Or where else is good on this diagram?

IMG_20220602_195933564~2.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Chassis rail is always the best place to jack it up with a proper low profile jack.

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
As above, use either the chassis rails or bolt 8.
I usually Jack on bolt 8 and then place the jackstands on the rails.

My brother has a 1.2 mk2 Clio and we put the Jack stands in between number 3 and 4 on that diagram because we couldn’t be arsed to move the car. The front of the sub frame started to bend slightly where the point of contact was on the Jack stand, so took it off sharpish. The subframe was/is solid too with no rot.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
As above, use either the chassis rails or bolt 8.
I usually Jack on bolt 8 and then place the jackstands on the rails.

My brother has a 1.2 mk2 Clio and we put the Jack stands in between number 3 and 4 on that diagram because we couldn’t be arsed to move the car. The front of the sub frame started to bend slightly where the point of contact was on the Jack stand, so took it off sharpish. The subframe was/is solid too with no rot.
The benefit of using bolt 8 is that theres no chance of it moving on the jack pad. I've had it start to slip on the chassis rail whilst lowering the car as the jack wheels are on block paving. Not an ideal situation when you've brake and fuel lines running down on the other side!

Clio
Just to be sure, are you saying the bolt which you can see in the picture where it joins the front suspension subframe, or do you mean a bolt just off the bottom of the picture, which you can't see in the picture?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The benefit of using bolt 8 is that theres no chance of it moving on the jack pad. I've had it start to slip on the chassis rail whilst lowering the car as the jack wheels are on block paving. Not an ideal situation when you've brake and fuel lines running down on the other side!
Jack with a 4" pad is best they never move or if it does move slightly then it aint slipping off the rail, the lugs on the edges of the pad stop it from going too far.

The diy jacks with 2" jack point are terrible for moving. Best thing i done was investing in a proper trade spec low profile jack.

Clio
So the bolt which secures this to the chassis is obviously the ideal one, but the 3 other bolts on this linkage, would they be secure as well - I just want to know out of interest is anywhere on that linkage #8 secure or is it just the one bolt to the chassis.

Clio
I've a mk3 as well, different underneath. It it best to Jack using bolts at very bottom of this picture, marked by arrows, and then axle stands under clear sill points?

IMG_20220609_105634712~2.jpg

Clio
Here's the underneath of the Mk3 - can't see any clear rails - have I got the axle stand under a solid short rail?
IMG_20230207_153216405.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
That position for axle stand is fine, i use it on the megane which is basically the same underneath