ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Orange Engine light... safe to drive?

2004 182FF
Bought my 182 last week and just paid for membership :approve:

My girlfriends using the car for the weekend whilst I'm at my parents and I just got a call saying that the orange light is on. Are these usually emissions/sensor related issues?

I've driven 1000 miles and had zero issues, and she's saying the car drives absolutely fine and she made it out of town before she noticed the light (or, it came on then). She drove it back to her house and it felt fine as well.

Now I have a theory... The rear cats are fucked, and need to be replaced. I hit the cat with a spanner and it sounds like its full of broken glass, so the honeycomb has collapsed. It def won't pass the next MOT emissions test.

Which left me wondering... is there an o2 sensor after the cat (ie... the cat not working properly has legitimately set off the light). If so, could that be the cause.

If not, or, if its possible but not the only possibility... is it okay for her to drive the car on a 150 mile round trip, she's meant to be going to visit family this weekend.

Also, whilst I'm here I may as well ask... anybody got a video available of their car bring driven. Wanted to hear if a noise I'm finding weird is normal or not.

2004 182FF
Well she got it home okay and took it to her uncles garage to have the code read. Turns out the only code was "a brake light pedal sensor thing" that he disconnected, reconnected and rechecked the codes... no more light. So just one of those random things.

He also did an emissions check for me and the exhaust is still MOT friendly. Sweet.

Renaultsport Clio 172
That is odd, I never saw a check engine light due to a brake sensor, that fault is pretty common on the clios and does not fire light. Glad you got it sorted

None
I had the light come on too a while back and Paul at RS Tuning checked it and said it was ABS related so i'm guessing that would be brake sensor too, stayed off since though :)