ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Orange/t-mobile to get 4G in september

Clio 172 cup
The company that owns Orange and T-Mobile has been given the go-ahead to launch superfast mobile internet.
Telecoms regulator Ofcom approved an application by mobile operator Everything Everywhere (EE) to use its existing spectrum to deliver 4G ahead of the upcoming auction.
The next generation of mobile broadband - seen as crucial for video, gaming and downloading from your phone - could potentially be available within weeks as the company was given the OK to launch 4G any time after September 11 this year.
Ofcom said that allowing EE to use its existing 1800 MHz spectrum in this way will "deliver significant benefits to consumers".
Other mobile operators will get the chance to bid for lower frequency 4G spectrum in an auction process due to begin towards the end of 2012.
More to follow...

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
What kind of download speeds are we speaking? Isn't it phone dependant as well?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Couple of things to note.

1. Its using the existing 1800mhz bands which are unsurprisingly different to the 2100/700mhz bands that the US is using. (So your 4G iPad wont work)
2. Luckily a lot of mainland Europe is using 1800mhz for LTE too so devices are ready to go. (You'll need new hardware to use this)
3. I highly doubt 4G coverage is going to be spectacular at launch.

Basically, don't get too excited. This is more posturing than anything genuinely useful.

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that the next iPhone could support LTE on the 1800mhz band as several big markets use the band (Australia and Korea for example)

Typical download speeds should be around 2mb-40mb, but this is very dependant on coverage.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
As I barely get any signal at home, I'm guessing this won't make anything better for me?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
As I barely get any signal at home, I'm guessing this won't make anything better for me?

Bit off topic but if you have poor signal at home you can buy a box which plugs into your phone line and then will omit a signal that your phone will pick up.

It works exactly like wifi but better range and just for your phone really.

Listerine & Poledo
Costs you quite an amount though IIRC, good idea for businesses in remote locations but not really a household item

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Bit off topic but if you have poor signal at home you can buy a box which plugs into your phone line and then will omit a signal that your phone will pick up.

It works exactly like wifi but better range and just for your phone really.

Really? Got a link?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder whether this will change my mind when the new iPhone comes out whether I stick with Voda or move to Orange for Simplicity?

Clio 182 FF
Lol shame down here in Cornwall it won't make any difference. I went to Switzerland and their Edge network was faster than the 3G here in the UK!

Nissan Jewk
Getting very busy in my office these days with the 4G announcement, but it was half expected, so not much has changed here. Am also involved in some 4G live testing, so exciting times ahead!

Nissan Jewk
LOL with your internet at home you must be chuffed.

My slow broadband is still quicker than my T-Mob/Orange 3G. Have to use wifi on my phone once indoors, as data speeds are that bad. Enfield is one big blackspot. And Orange has an RNC in Enfield, right by Eros. Sucks.