ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ordered a 32" samsung tv from 247electrical...

172 M69 eater
... which was the LE32R74BDX - £584 quid delivered...

218711_01_huge.jpg

..and I think I can speak for munchkin and myself when i say.. what a load of toss!!! Ordered about 10 days ago and had 2 emails this week... one saying we will get them in stock on the 22nd Jan and the next saying they won't get in till the 5th February!!

sooooo i tossed it off, asked for a refund and bought this...

H4451-451-00010.jpg

Toshiba 37WLT66 for £750.... arrives pretty soon :D feel happy now as I walked into comet yesterday and felt i should have bought a 37"!!

Last edited:
  RenaultSport clio 172
I did exactly the same, rang them up when it wasnt delivered and they said they had a delay on stock. They could have rung me to tell me! I cancelled my order and bought one from laptops.co.uk and they delivered it within 20hours, it was £15 more expensive in the end!

I had to have the samsung, it looks so good!

Dont worry about the 37inch, they all look smaller in the shop!

That Samsung is a supurb set, though. My mate has the Samsung and the picture is one of the best I've seen, I'd say better than another friends overpriced Sony Bravia (or whatever they're called).

That Tosh is a good set, and a 37" for that price is rather good, though the contrast ratio is well below the standard of the Samsung!! Makes up for it with two HDMI slots though.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST3
im after a samsung but this model LE32N73BDX but after seeing the tosh might have to have a look at that first, the contrast is well below the samsung though

toshiba= 1000:1
samsung= 6000:1

any know what the visual diffrence would look like when its actually sat in my front room

im after a samsung but this model LE32N73BDX but after seeing the tosh might have to have a look at that first, the contrast is well below the samsung though

any know what the visual diffrence would look like when its actually sat in my front room

Well, this is the definition of 'contrast ratio' in this context;

"The contrast ratio is a metric of a display system, defined as the ratio of the luminosity of the brightest and the darkest color the system is capable of producing. High contrast ratio is a desired aspect of any display, but with the various methods of measurement for a system or its part, remarkably different values can be measured of the same subject."

So basically it is the difference between the darks and lights, so the higher the contrast ratio is the better defined the image is (as in subjects and particually colours etc on the screen, not as in resolution). This will be noticably improved on the Samsung as it performs so much better in this area.

Also, the higher the contrast ratio, the less effect the ambient light in the room has on the picture on the screen. For example, a projected cinema screen has a contrast ratio of only 500:1, but needs a completely dark room for the image to be seen as intended! So in theory, the Samsung will look bright and clearly defined even with loads of light shining on it and shouldnt display any refections at all with the screen running.

Screen v screen (size not being a factor) the Samsung is actually the better one.

Last edited:
  Leon Cupra R 225
nice one I had same sort of treatment from amazon. does my nut in that they advertise it and say "order now" when they know it won't be in for a month. think of the consumer you f**king t***s. don't advertise until it can be dispatched!!

VRS
i went for samsung and love it :D
bought it off play.com just after the summer, ordered it on the monday and got it on the wednesday! :D

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I bought the 74series "32" Samsung, it's an awesome TV.

I don't know that much about TV's but it was recommended everywhere.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Well, this is the definition of 'contrast ratio' in this context;

"The contrast ratio is a metric of a display system, defined as the ratio of the luminosity of the brightest and the darkest color the system is capable of producing. High contrast ratio is a desired aspect of any display, but with the various methods of measurement for a system or its part, remarkably different values can be measured of the same subject."

So basically it is the difference between the darks and lights, so the higher the contrast ratio is the better defined the image is (as in subjects and particually colours etc on the screen, not as in resolution). This will be noticably improved on the Samsung as it performs so much better in this area.

Also, the higher the contrast ratio, the less effect the ambient light in the room has on the picture on the screen. For example, a projected cinema screen has a contrast ratio of only 500:1, but needs a completely dark room for the image to be seen as intended! So in theory, the Samsung will look bright and clearly defined even with loads of light shining on it and shouldnt display any refections at all with the screen running.

Screen v screen (size not being a factor) the Samsung is actually the better one.
ok, this is incorrect guys, basically Samsung always quote their 'Dynamic' contrast ratio which is the same as a digital camera quoting an interpolated resolution like fuji used to do to make their products sound better (i.e. they use a 3mega pixel CCD but quote 6mp pics).

The true contrast ratio of the samsung is much lower and more like the 1000 of the toshiba.

I am not sure of the exact ratio as it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere, funny that eh!

I don't use the dynamic contrast as it can make the picture change to adapt all the time and as such i use the normal contrast which I think on mine is 800:1 and is perfect, absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever, it even looks better than my new sony bravia with a higher contrast screen.

The Tosh is a great set and they are quoting a realistic figure rather than the giggery pokery figure.

Hope that clears it up and makes sense that the contrast ratio of all the big name sets on the market at the moment are all around the same, there are only about 3 different companies that make lcd screens anyway in the grand scheme of things.

^^^ hmmm, not convinced as the current Samsung LCDs are reknowned for the improved depth and definition thanks to higher contrast ratios... Horses for courses though.

In actual fact, the all panels on various makes of TV are essentially the same, and are made by, as you say, only a few key companies. Its the electronics in the TV which actually make the difference.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
^^^ hmmm, not convinced as the current Samsung LCDs are reknowned for the improved depth and definition thanks to higher contrast ratios... Horses for courses though.

In actual fact, the all panels on various makes of TV are essentially the same, and are made by, as you say, only a few key companies. Its the electronics in the TV which actually make the difference.
trust me, thats the reason, its purely a stnamic contrast figure, lots of complaints on the internet of people wanting them to give real figures rather than the dynamic ones, fuji got away with for years until camera companies were made to advertise the exact figure the ccd produces and then it was a level playing field again.

i'm going on the basis that the tosh has won a few awards and the sammy hasnt!!

Lol, they've both won awards, ironically the current Samsung bunch won a recent EISA (European Imaging and Sound Association) award for, and I quote;

"its premium display technology in terms of contrast ratio (5000:1), color expression (6.44 billion colors, 92% color gamut) , viewing angle (178 °) and response time (8 ms)"

Though I'm not sure what half of that means... Anyway, lets just say you cant go wrong with either telly!

Last edited:

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
i'm going on the basis that the tosh has won a few awards and the sammy hasnt!!

Lol, they've both won awards, ironically the current Samsung bunch won a recent EISA (European Imaging and Sound Association) award for, and I quote;

"its premium display technology in terms of contrast ratio (5000:1), color expression (6.44 billion colors, 92% color gamut) , viewing angle (178 °) and response time (8 ms)"

Though I'm not sure what half of that means... Anyway, lets just say you cant go wrong with either telly!

Apart from the first one.

dk

911 GTS Cab
anyway, i have a samsung and its amazing but i didn't buy it for its exagerated contrast ratio, i bought it as MS were showcasing the 360 on it everywhere and I know they would have chosen a good screen to show the technology off and as i wanted it for my 360 it was the obvious choice, plus it was the leader at the time but a year on and all the others have caught up now and i have a thing about companies using marketing to make something sound better than it is like with this contrast ratio and fuji with their interpolated figure on their digital cameras, it shouldn't be allowed without giving the true figure along with it, consumers who don't know any better will just accept it as its been said or written down somewhere.

these days it would be very difficult to buy a bad LCD screen as the technology has got so good but if you don't believe what I am saying then go visit a proper AV forum and ask there, or maybe do a search. I would suggest avforums.