ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oulton park in the 197

R26
Drove down from Edinburgh and went to Oulton park on Sunday last. Had a shot of the 197's that they have there.

Originally - I was not at all impressed when the 197 came out - I had hoped for so much more (like power etc). However, down I went and on to the track in the 197. I had a chat with the instructor about the car and about my 182. He reckoned that the 197 was faster (although he admitted that he was a cooper S man) than the 182 and better built.

I have to agree with the "better built*" comment (*it had only done 1800 miles) but I definately could not say that it was faster. Anyway, after the drive he asked my opinion and I have to say I liked it. The car felt quick and I loved the sound it made - so much more of a bark as standard than my 182 and the steering wheel was nicer. However, I told him that I still thought my 182 felt quicker even if it does sound like a bag of nails.

This experience has definately changed my opinion on the little 197 somewhat. I was quite tempted to go buy one (when the cup packs come out) just on the strength of the quite intoxicating sound that filled the cabin and the way the car handled. However, after 2 days - i'm still interested but the thought of being tailgated by a teen in a corsa with no means of showing him a clean pair of heels kind of puts me off. Infact, If Renault had offered more power in the motor I wouldn't be writing this, but instead down at the dealer handing over the cash!!!!

Anyway, just thought I would share with the community.