ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Outlook 2007 Help

Not a Clio
I'm using Gmail IMAP. All I want to do is have the desktop alert (little popup alert, not the envelope) when new mail arrives.

I have "Display a new desktop alert (default inbox only)" ticked. I also have the Gmail inbox opening on startup. The only reason I can think that it's not working is because outlook is not classing my gmail inbox as the "default inbox" but I can't see any kind of option for this.

Any ideas?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Open 'Accounts' from the tools menu, modify existing accounts and there's a button to set one as default.

Not a Clio
Slightly different wording but it says my Gmail IMAP is already default.

I guess that's not why the desktop alert won't display then. I can preview the desktop alert in the settings so I know it physically works, but for some reason it won't display when I get new mail.

Tesla MP3 2021
Maybe it has something to do with the default data file Outlook sets up when you add your google account, which annoys me btw hence why I switched to Thunderbird. You seem to have already tried some things I was going to suggest!

Not a Clio
Does Thunderbird give you desktop alerts when you get email via Gmail IMAP? I don't mind switching, have used thunderbird in the past.

Edit to answer my own question - Thunderbird does provide a desktop alert.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST
Outlook is crap for Imap mail tbh.

Suppose you could make a mail rule to copy your email from imap inbox to your outlook personel inbox that might alert you?

Tesla MP3 2021
Does Thunderbird give you desktop alerts when you get email via Gmail IMAP? I don't mind switching, have used thunderbird in the past.

Edit to answer my own question - Thunderbird does provide a desktop alert.

Yeah just to confirm it does :)

Not a Clio
Outlook is crap for Imap mail tbh.

Suppose you could make a mail rule to copy your email from imap inbox to your outlook personel inbox that might alert you?

You were right about outlook being crap with IMAP. Opening and deleting emails took ages, I thought this was just an IMAP trait but with Thunderbird it's instant.