ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overfilled Brake Fluid

1.6 Ford Focus
I got my rear brakes done last week along with a brake fluid change and I noticed they have filled the fluid container right up to the brim, way past the max marker.

Is this an issue? Can it cause any damage to the braking system? If it does would the garage be responsible for overfilling it in the first place?

172 cup, Impreza P1
I would drop the level as brake fluid expands when it is heated and can overflow on the exhaust manifold and possibly catch fire (worst case). Drop it to the max level with a large syringe when cold.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
get a little eye dropped from boots, there about a quid, easiest way, or use a squirty bottle and suck some out, just dont do it if the exhaust is hot! more flammable than petrol!

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Or a clean rag / kitchen roll does exactly the same thing and costs nothing...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I use my wifes Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner.

Get an old bottle, unscrew the trigger, put the tube into the brake fluid, and squeeze the spray trigger into the old bottle. When you've finished put the tube back into the bottle, screw it up, bin it.

Done.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Surely if something is labeled MAX .. it's for a reason, and probably a good one....

common_sense_god_damn_super_power.png

Clearly the YTS apprentice filled it up. Either way, you should have checked simple things before you left, or at the very least when you got home.

Brake fluid, as well as being flammable, is highly corrosive evil stuff ! You don't want that spilling anywhere :dead:

Lesson learnt ;)