ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overheating Problem

Guys the Willy is overheating again...

Basically, when its running the fan doesnt kick in at all, ive just let it sat there and took it up to the last big notch if u follow me...

But as soon as I switch the engine off, the fan kicks in.

Wots up with that?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

have you tried a new fan switch. its probably got a timer fan relay as well which will cut the fan in for approx ten minutes after you switch the engine off to cool it down faster.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

When the fan cuts in like that its often due to the latent heat in the rad.... i.e. as soon as it stops circulating the water the temp rises in that one area and therefore kicks the fan in...

might be that the resistance of the switch is poop and needs replacing... (easy job) you can acutally get to that one with the rad in!!

Andy

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Bridge the thermoswitch plug with car running to make sure fan/loom wiring is OK with car running....its obviously OK with it stopped....

Otherwise, more than likely the thermoswitch as already suggested.

Paul

Im not sure mine is even kicking in atall, where on the temp guage should it start kicking in, mine has been up the the 2nd big mark 2/3 way round wihtout the fan kicking in

Quote: Originally posted by Infinicar on 01 May 2004

Bridge the thermoswitch plug with car running to make sure fan/loom wiring is OK with car running....its obviously OK with it stopped....

Otherwise, more than likely the thermoswitch as already suggested.

Paul

Guys I done wot Paul suggested, and the fan was kicking in even without the engine running,

In otherwords with or without the ignition on the fan was still spinning.

Does this mean the switch is faulty, or am i lookin at problem with the loom aswell?

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

they work with or without the ignition on...

switch is easy fix and cheap... worth doing...

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Agree with clean never lets the valver get to hot, good for underbonnet temps as well for anyone runing an induction kit. Also recomend the low temp thermostat.

yep, first mod i have carried out on all of my valvers, low temp thermo and fan switch, cost 25 quid all together and take half an hour to fit, running temp never goes past the first line now

I presume this is the same for the 1.2 mk1?

Where do you get them from, you you have to ask for them from k-tec, i cant see them listed on the website

the 16v/willy engine runs very hot, so its a worthwhile mod, if your engine doesnt run hot(fan kicks in in moderate traffic etc) then you wont really see any benefit from the loe temp gear.....

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

indeed... also the fan will make a racket (usually) before it goes... so you will have warning..

IMO low temp stat is not such a good idea, but switch is good....

Andy

on a 1.2 when should the fan cut in??

Mine has gone up the the secoond large marker (about 2 thirds of the way around) before the fan cuts in , should it go this far of is the fan buggered?

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Thats about right. My mates 1.2 takes agaes for the fan to cut in. On a valver though sit in traffic for 3mins and its on.

500bhp Scoob

my mk1 ph1 rt 1.4 gets up to about 3/4s then cuts in, does run a bit hot for my liking but been told thats normal.

172 Cup

he is in cambridge mate. my fan just stayed on constant and would not go of!! just needed a new switch and it was sorted! i would say try a new switch first as they are not much money.

Paul