ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overheating Smell, Possibly Exhaust or Oil???

RB 182
Every time I drive my car over the past 4-5 months I get a burning smell as though it's the exhaust. I have looked into it and seen the 'new exhaust smell' threads but don't think it this as I put my K-Tech stealth on in January, so some time ago.
Is it possible that it can be my catalytic converter on its way out? (I didn't want any 'cat gone jokes', haha) How would I know if it was the cat? The car seems to be running a little flat when cold in the mornings now and over the past week or so the exhaust has started the ticking noise when cooling down, which it never used to do.

The only other thing I was thinking it could be was a small oil leak that is heating up?

Does anyone know what this could be and if its oil wheres the most common place to look?

Note, the car temp is normal and coolant is full.

Clio 172 phase 1
Won't be cat cats stink of rotten egg when they go. Check around the rocker cover for leaks and around all the oil breather pipes I'd say its probably just burning a little couldn't comment much more sorry but I'd rule out the cat

RB 182
Won't be cat cats stink of rotten egg when they go. Check around the rocker cover for leaks and around all the oil breather pipes I'd say its probably just burning a little couldn't comment much more sorry but I'd rule out the cat

Cheers, well it not a rotten egg smell so I'll rule that out. I'll have a look around the rocker cover when I get chance and see if I can find the potential cause.