ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oversteer (how to)

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Morning folks,

When pressing on a bit I have had oversteer in the clio a few times. It only ever happens when at relatively high speeds and it has always been perfectly controllable. I like it.

What I don't like is the fact that I can only have this fun at high speeds. I understand that a FWD platform doesn't lend itself to oversteer at low speeds as easily as RWD but I would like to play around a bit.

So anyone have hints or tips for me so that I can play about at lower speeds? At high speed its more of a progressive break away/slide, I want to be able to have a bit of oversteer on command but at sensible legal speeds.

NO Mcdonalds tray suggestions etc.. Just me and the car

Give me a technique please.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Buy Some broken rear shock, that'll send the back end right on these things, Mine came with Busted ones it was fun for a few days.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Go in hot hard on the brakes to get weight over the front, power through to apex & lift off mid corner which will get the back out like a hero (or if you have no minerals you'll end up binning it).

At low speeds, wrong line & upsetting the balance of the car will also cause it.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Get a rear arb. Could pretty much do it at any speed in mine with the whiteline roll bar fitted.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
The Scandinavian flick will also help, Right hand turn coming up throw it to the left then right and watch what happens afterwards, Sideways all the way round.

197ff, 172
Rear anti roll bar, harder rear springs/ dampers. Brake bias to front, Over inflate rear tyres, buy rubbish rear tyres, positive camber. If none of those appeal to you pinch a couple of trays from a fast food restaurant and park the back tyres on them apply the handbrake and drive.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Go in hot hard on the brakes to get weight over the front, power through to apex & lift off mid corner which will get the back out like a hero (or if you have no minerals you'll end up binning it).

At low speeds, wrong line & upsetting the balance of the car will also cause it.

I don't want to be doing daft speeds but if I find the right location I may try this.

Otherwise, low speeds and upsetting the balance. I have done this a few times and it doesn't really want to go, New rear shocks earlier this year don't help I suppose.

Any tips for getting it to slide when wanted? A friend has a 197 and he has no problems inducing oversteer.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
The Scandinavian flick will also help, Right hand turn coming up throw it to the left then right and watch what happens afterwards, Sideways all the way round.

Wouldn't recommend doing that on the road for the first time round though lol

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Tbh if you're having to ask how to induce over steer in a car you're quite familiar with, you shouldn't be trying on a road

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I went for this 'setup' on the Trophy as its my preference:

Excellent condition front dampers
F*cked rear dampers
Whiteline RARB on full hard
V12's with lots of tread on the front
V12's with less tread on the rear
Removal of rear seats, isofix bar, etc.
Aircon removal & lightweight pulleys, quicker reduction in revs when lifting off

Produced many lols, especially at Llandow in the rain.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Cheers, Point noted. Be aware though that I am not talking about town centres or anything like that, open land/industrial estates only.

Whenever I have tried a bit of lift off oversteer I make sure im high up the revs in second gear mid corner, lift off and even a bit of a flick and nothing happens. The car just pulls through the bends.

Go and find an industrial estate in the wet. Lots of hgv's usually equals a fair bit of grease/diesel down which makes for easy sliding. 50psi in the rears and go and have fun.

Disclaimer: if you put it backwards through someone's warehouse door I am in no way to blame.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Go and find an industrial estate in the wet. Lots of hgv's usually equals a fair bit of grease/diesel down which makes for easy sliding. 50psi in the rears and go and have fun.

Disclaimer: if you put it backwards through someone's warehouse door I am in no way to blame.
Haha sounds like you talk from experience. Really as high as 50psi or is that an exaggeration?

Hahaha Love it.

I'm wondering how this thread has got so far without pointing out that this is a retarded idea!? If you want to practice oversteer, do it on track not on the roads, where -
a) you don't know what the f**k you're doing.
b) you could hit and/or kill someone.
c) you will look like a tw@.

I'm not trying to spoil the fun, just think about how much council estate flange will be dripping when they see you ken blocking into the town center, and how all the respectable girls will think you're a bell piece. ;)

f**k it, who am I kidding?

All right look man there lots of ways you can do this all right. Handbraking is the easiest so the first thing I want you to do, I want you to rip that E-Brake all right. After you rip that E-Brake then I want you to power over.

Cup In bits
Oversteer on a FWD isn't going to happen at low speeds as its all about weight change.

Anyway what we used to do was put the rear tyres on the wrong direction on the rear (basically swap left to right) pressures up a bit and use engine braking into a corner and a tug of the wheel or wheel spin a bit and a tug of the wheel. Handbrake is what you really want for low speed stuff and trail the brake while doing it.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
A bit of rake might help aswell.

My clio kicks the back out no problem with a bit of lift off and a quick turn in. 40mph is a decent enough speed

Just dont do anything stupid on the public roads :l

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've only deliberately put the car sideways twice, on the roads. First time was to avoid being tailgated by entering a corner at a silly speed, and again when I entered another corner at a very silly speed. Small jink to the right, then about a quarter turn of lock to the left and lift right off the throttle. Be ready to catch it, and if you are looking like you've overcooked it and are going to go right round, low gear, full throttle and steer right, and as the front comes back out again steer straight, in order to prevent a pendulum.

See, we really need proper areas to practice this, even on a racetrack it's not a brilliant idea to be deliberately getting the car very sideways with little or no practice. Fortunately there are these large things called carparks, which are big empty spaces where you can safely spin. Just don't pick one with people, cars, or houses nearby, and really don't pick one with lampposts in it.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Of course, with the right setup, you can combine power and handbrake to hold the back out, but you will absolutely destroy rears, and will absolutely need a hydraulic handbrake.

Last edited by a moderator:
never tried in the clio yet but i use to do it all the time in my 205 in an old air field in llandow. Few cones in the boot lay them out and away you go.

Me personally i think everyone should be able to control/correct themselves when the back end kicks out or when they get major understeer before they past there test.

Ph2 172
Lift off the power harshly at the apex. Clios are pretty easy to slide, trail braking into tight corners in greasy conditions works too.

Just remember to point the wheels dead ahead and power on hard to catch it.

RB 182 cup
xsara VTS/306GTI6 and the saxo/106 are legendary for lift off oversteer. I always found my 172 well planted on the rear.

As in the video, on a round about accelerate fairly quickly up to the point the car just begins to understeer then let of the throttle and the back end will usually follow.