ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Owning/running two cars

Lee

BMW M2C
After a brief period of wanting shot of the Trophy and replacing it with an Elise or a 350Z I'm starting to think I'll stick with my original plan of keeping the Trophy. It's too special (to me) to part with and is already a classic.

So I'm considering getting a 197 to join it in the new year. The Trophy will then spend most it's time in the garage and come out for fun and track days, although the 197 will also do some of those too.

I'd probably only tax the Trophy for 6 months during summer, but obviously insurance would still be loads as I'd only have NCB for one car. I already pay a lot and don't want to have to do that twice, although it would be on very limited mileage.

Is there anything else that's going to sting my pocket as well as the obvious ones I've mentioned?

S-Max
No I think you have mentioned it all apart from. You have twice the worry, have to wash 2 cars and if something goes wrong with one you know something will go wrong with the other like the following week....

If your going to own two cars I'd get a classic/something unreliable not two new cars.
I used to hate when I had to cars. The cost of insurance etc kept shocking me, then again I'm cheap.

Mot plus there the unexpected running costs of a car brakes servicing etc.

If I was buying a second car it would'nt be 197. Its too similar to what you already have; whats the point? Get an elise or a caterham if your keeping the Trophy.

80MPG BEEZA
or just buy a cheap runaround like a fiesta and put some money into your clio making it more special perhaps throttle bodies and the like

Maz

LY 200
Couldn't you just insure the Trophy for track day use Lee ?? not 100% clear of the ins and outs of insurance so I maybe a long way off here ..

Couldn't you just insure the Trophy for track day use Lee ?? not 100% clear of the ins and outs of insurance so I maybe a long way off here ..

Yep rally day insurance is an the option. But day normal insurance from dayinsurance.com is cheaper often £10 a day but you cannot use it to buy road fund so you'd ned to either get a policy then cancel it within 14 days and get your money back as you only need a certificate for the froad fund or swop the other cars policy to cover the car.

Maz

LY 200
Could you not get a trailer Lee and take it to track days that way it thats the only thing you are going to use it for ??

I ran two cars for a couple months, a month or two back. I'm with direct line and they insured my other car with full no claims discount, ie matching the no claims bonus I already had on the 182.
Direct Line are cheap and the car was a Xsara VTS, which is the same insurance group as the 182.

I'm with the others buy something that you don't have to drive everyday, caterham, westfield, lotus, vx etc...

106 GTi
When I was running my 205 GTi and 306 XSi it was costing me alot more than having the 182 and my current 306. I am not sure I would go back to running to expensive to insure and run cars again though. The 306 is 1.4 so it has cheap tax, insurance (200 quid a year f/c) and 40 quids worth of juice lasts two weeks or 400 odd miles. The 182 costs me nothing apart from lots in road tax (12 months) that I never really take advantage off, and even on limited mileage it is still double the cost of the 306 in insurance. Lots of insurance companys offered the two cars on one policy but it still worked out cheaper to start building up a second set of NCB on the second car.

Lee

BMW M2C
Basically I want a 197 because I like it, and it would be great for daily use with the occasional track use. I like having new cars and do a fair few miles so like the warranty and reliability.

The Trophy is staying purely because I'd never be able to replace it and I know I'd regret getting rid.

I don't want a track car and a daily driver. I want a car I can use for most things as I do the Trophy, that way I can stop using the Trophy quite as much as I am and have a nice new car again.

Obviously this depends on what F & F deals come up on the 197 and mortgage repayments. lol

Renaultsport 220T
I'd wait for the 197 cup version.

Then get a glass box for the trophy, or park in in your living room!

It's a nice dilema to be in.

:D

Lee

BMW M2C
Cup packed 197 would do me nicely.

Spending all that time in one yesterday hasn't done me any favours.:eek:

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
TBH Lee its a pain. In my position, I don't like driving my track car to events so I trailer it. Theres alot of prep that goes into it.

Your track car uses consumables twice as quickly as your road car so fuel, tyres, brakes, oils, etc, and requires changes twice as often. My kit car gets seviced after every track outing so its not cheap.

Again budget the same for insurance as you'll need to insure it for the full 12mths even if you're only using it for 6 because of its value.

Plus take into account the amount of space it takes up - might only seem like another car but when you have to shuffle cars to get the family in/out it can get awkard if working on it.

Clio DCi 65
That new insurance thing is out where they record the miles you do..

But they can also telll how fast u hit corners etc so thats a no go lol

Leon Cupra 300
yeah its no good insuring it just for track days.. what if someone nicks it from your garage?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Phil, in my scenario... its insured and strapped to my trailer, which has a hitch lock, is bolted to the floor and wheel clamped. Want to steal it? Be my guest.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
lee, your best to try and get your NCB on both cars. directline do that and im planning to take them up on that with the plate change for 07s

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Lee is one of teh few people on here who has had alot of time with 197's on and off the track. So i'm sure his disison is justified

^What horrid spelling!

Phil, in my scenario... its insured and strapped to my trailer, which has a hitch lock, is bolted to the floor and wheel clamped. Want to steal it? Be my guest.

Pretty sure a gun to the head would make you hand over the keys LOL!

Unfortunately I know of lots of Imprezas stolen in this way :( trouble comes when you claim on insurance as theres some weird loophole that says if you hand the keys over even if its at gunpoint its not theft. Most of the cases resulted in a pay out but some didnt...... the law sucks!

BTW I hope this does not happen to anyone.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I dont think the trophy is as much of a classic as you might think.
Literally anyone i know would not know what it is ,and for that sticking it in a garage would be a waste of time.
Best to use it or loose it mate.It is a very special car for what it is but its no M3 CSL or lichfield scooby.
As it is at the moment im running 2 VR6 highline golfs in mulberry.Both doing between 22-26mpg.There not cheap to run and im going to sell both soon and get the wife a fiesta tdci(50 quid a year tax)and i may treat myself to a quick little hatch of some sort.If your doing the same then keeping the trophy would only be for love ,not for gaining a classic.
Treat yourself to a much better car now and i promise you in 5 years you will find a mint trophy somewhere for peanuts and then you can look after that and cherish it.As it stands your goint to loose all your hard earned on a renault that just sits in the garage

ian

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Lee,i can understand you wanting to keep the trophy but i cannot for the life of me think why'd you want to buy a 197 aswell. Surely you'd be better off buying something different?

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
^^^ yer agree.
They are 2 similar for me.
Id sell the trophy now while its still worth a few £££. I dont think the trophy will ever be a classic.
If it helps i have the cup and rx7 insured with bell direct and they include my NCB or the rx7.
the cup is 500 with mods included and the 7 is 300

Maz

LY 200
Basically I want a 197 because I like it, and it would be great for daily use with the occasional track use. I like having new cars and do a fair few miles so like the warranty and reliability.

The Trophy is staying purely because I'd never be able to replace it and I know I'd regret getting rid.

I don't want a track car and a daily driver. I want a car I can use for most things as I do the Trophy, that way I can stop using the Trophy quite as much as I am and have a nice new car again.

Obviously this depends on what F & F deals come up on the 197 and mortgage repayments. lol

Sorry I misunderstood when you said "the trophy will come out for fun and track days"

Then get a glass box for the trophy, or park in in your living room!

It's a nice dilema to be in.

:D

LOL

Lee - it is a nice dillemma to be in. Its your money if you really want a 197 and a Trophy go for it, I'd love to hear your comparisons.

Just one question - are you a bit of a Renault nut?

Turbos.
I don't see the point getting the 197, although don't get me wrong, i like them as much as you.

The fact is though if you want a runaround it seems a bit pointless getting something so similar. I'd rather get a more comfortable and more economical car for the money. At least that way the Trophy would feel even more special...

172 mk2 Iceberg
my second car had very low milage insurance

was set to 1500 miles
great for the weekend car

Lee

BMW M2C
I can see where people are coming from with regard to having two similar cars, but there are a few reasons why.

I could get a run around, but I couldn't put up with driving one each day. I have to get some fun out of my journey. I like the 197, it strikes a good balance between comfort and fun and is excellent on track should I want to take it out. I'm hoping the 197 gets a decent price on F & F at some point, as the 182 did when I got that, and the Trophy to a degree. If it does then what I'm thinking isn't as mad as you might think.

As I've said, I like having new cars. It's been years since I had a second hand car and like knowing I'm the first abuser.

Lee

BMW M2C
Dam forum, I just typed a response and it died.

Basically I want a new car that's the short answer, and if I were buying a new car now it would most likely be a 350Z, but that would mean getting rid of the Trophy which is something I really don't want to do. So further down the list of cars I want to own is the 197.

A runabout would be fine, but I hate driving a car I don't enjoy. Got a 206 Verve at the moment and I can't stand it. So the 197 would be great for my commute and occasional track day.

The biggest problem I have is I want a new car. lol

This is heavily dictated by how much they do F & F off a 197. Both the 182 and Trophy came in at a very nice price. Full whack there's no way I could get the 197 as well.

WTF, now my original post is there 5 times. lol

Turbos.
Lol.

I'd ask yourself why you feel the need to have a special car day to day. What void are you trying to fill? ;)

Lee

BMW M2C
LOL, good point. Some people have one big car to compensate, I want 2 small ones.

Maybe I'm vein too. Okay so I am.:eek: