ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Packard Bell Easy Note LJ71 - Black Screen help?

Hi guys,

Friend of mine passed me his laptop to take a look at because he switched it off for the night then next morning tried turning it back on and the screen just stays black.

I've had it apart took the ram out to test that and that makes no difference tried taking the wifi out hdd out battery out and just running from the power lead. Still no luck, tried inserting the ram one at a time and seeing if that changes things and nope it doesn't. Tried taking all those above parts out and taking the lead out and holding the power button for 60 seconds to refresh it apparently and that doesn't help.

Tried plugging in a VGA lead and HDMI lead into the outputs and that doesn't display anything? Is the graphics card fooked? Do we reckon or is there any other tests I can try? The processor is getting hot so that's working. There isn't any post beeps when I take the ram out or have it in whether it has post beeps or not?

Any clues guys.

Cheers

Nick

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I have one in my office draw that does this, not a clue what causes it so I'd like to know too. Loved that laptop!

I noticed that although my hard drive is fine it doesn't start when in the laptop, does yours?

The screen stays black with the HDD in or out of it mate. Wouldn't mind but it's a decent laptop and he's a great mate (my detailer ;) ) so if I can get this sorted some free valeting muhaha. If you look real close the screen does a very small flicker then stays off the rest of the system powers up the lights all light up on the keyboard and one light stays lit not a clue what it's for though? Possibly touch pad lock, here it is:

null_zps3ed9c951.jpg

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Exactly the same as mine mate, the hdd light doesn't flicker or make a noise at all

The only noise the HDD makes is when it switches off it makes like a high pitched whine that fades away as the HDD spins down I assume. I've plugged the HDD into my computer and backed up all his data just in case but wouldn't mind understanding why one minute the screen would work the next... Nothing. Bloody systems! LOL

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Mine was turned off, then an hour later I got the black screen when I turned it on, repeatedly tried turning it on and eventually it did. I had it on for hours and it was fine. Turned it off and it's never booted up again.

I might email them asking if it's a common error on this model? Might be worth a shot, in the mean time if anyone has any ideas fire away! I'm confident with taking it apart so if that's what it takes that's what I'll do.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It does seem common from a google search but no one has answers. Hopefully you come up with something!

See what I can dig up dude, just tried using the Packard Bell trouble shooter... Your suppose to follow what it says and tick a check box whether it worked or not. Turns out not even their trouble shooter is working LOL! Just says Undefined on all the options and no questions are being displayed. Good start this.

About as much use as a chocolate teapot mate.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Screen stays black

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Sunil) - 11/11/2013 07.41 AM
Dear Nick,

Thank you for contacting Packard Bell Technical Support.

I apologise for the delay in responding to your e-mail.

I understand your concern. To resolve the issue, I will provide you with the best possible solution.

As it seems to be a hardware issue, I request you to send the unit to our repair centre for further evaluation and possible repair.

For further assistance, please provide us with the Serial number, or the SNID, the date of purchase of the unit and the name of the store from where the unit was purchased.

With the help of serial number, I can validate the warranty status and the technical specifications of the unit.

To locate the serial number of the unit, you can use the link below.

http://packard-bell-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7828/kw/locating serial number

For further assistance, please do not hesitate to e-mail or contact us on 0871 467 0008 (UK), +353 (0) 818 202 211 (Eire), from Monday to Friday, between 09:00 and 06:00 PM, BST.

Regards,
Sunil Kumar BVL
Agent ID 1313
Packard Bell Technical Support Team

The laptop is 2 years old and put of warranty sack sending it to them!

Got any further with this?

I emailed him back saying it was out of warranty and didn't want to pay for what seemed to be a common fault stating you had the same problem with yours here was his reply,

Subject
Screen stays black

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Raj) - 14/11/2013 11.21 AM
Dear Nick,

I sincerely appreciate your efforts in providing the information and performing the troubleshooting steps.

Regarding the issue, I suggest you to send the unit to our repair centre for further evaluation and possible repair.

As per our records, the unit is not covered under warranty; hence, this would be classed as chargeable repair. The process would be as follows:

•You will be charged £55.15, which covers the courier and the initial assessment

•Upon receipt, we will forward the shipping details to your email address. Once we have received the product, the technicians will diagnose the issue. A written proposal with complete details of the repair will be sent to you by post/e-mail, and you will be given ten days to respond

•You have the option to accept or reject the proposal. If you choose to reject, the product will be returned un-repaired

•If the proposal is not signed and returned to us by fax or post within ten days, the proposal is deemed rejected. The product will be returned un-repaired

If you would like to book your product for a chargeable assessment, please contact our ‘Out of Warranty’ booking line on 0870 853 1110, between 09.00 AM and 05.30 PM, Monday to Friday. They will assist you further.

If you do not wish to send the unit for a chargeable repair, please contact a local technician to resolve this issue.

For further assistance, please do not hesitate to e-mail or contact us on 0871 760 1000 (UK), 0818 202 210 (Eire), from Monday to Friday, between 09:00 and 06:00 PM, BST.

Regards,
Rajkumar K
Agent ID 4734
Packard bell Technical Support Team

I never replied,

Thomas I haven't actually pulled the CMOS forgot about that one to be honest if I get a chance at the weekend ill give it a go!