ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pads 90% worn....

CTR EK9 turbo

Now seeing as Renault are bound to charge me something huge for the cost of ordering and buying new pads, does anyone recommend where and what pads i should get?

Should i just buy some Renault boat pads? or go for something a little more snake oil-esque like EBC green bogies? Do anywhere do cliosport discounts for new pads?Halfords?

thanks guys and gals in advance!

The only place you will get standard rear pads for 172 is from a Renault dealer unless someone can tell me otherwise (been there etc!) so you may be just as well to get something different

CTR EK9 turbo

how many would you like ben? ill need a down payment, or just sexual favours first please ;)

Ive heard theyre pretty good- but you have to bed them in aggressively, really stompin on the pedal to get the best results??

where did u hear that from! lol

you can get std pads from halfords, the clio 16V/williams uses teh same rear calipers.

CTR EK9 turbo

i heard it from some dude called Julian Philips - a "race director"(?) who works for Aurok. I met him as he was wokring in some shed in the middle of knowhere preparing a Clio Cup car for racing and aslo some MGFs and a MGB gt race car. (he got me that Group N ecu) Dont spose youve heard of him? hes got loads of framed pictures given to him from Race teams such as the old volvo touring cars - signed by the drivers etc, loadsa stuff. I think hes quite well known in the racing world? hes involved with Ohlins suspension..... i wish i could tell you more about what he is/does. I dont really understand......

Trophy

Ben,

I also found that once the EBC Greens were abused they worked really well and anybody who went in my valver can vouch for them!

Mat.

CTR EK9 turbo

Ben - do you really know him or are you pulling my (third) leg?

Do they leave green brake dust on your allys? i dont want my wheels looking like theyve gone mouldy!!

Clio Gtt

they are good cos they let of no dust but they are poo for stopping, however they are better than my standard ones.

they leave green dust and chloroform, so you cant clean the wheels as you keep knocking yourself out.

I know OF him, not personally. We had alot to do with racing and most major playing pop up in conversation.

CTR EK9 turbo

Cool, i may buy a set. The renault tech bloke said the rears were only good for another 3000 miles. Its the second set of front pads im onto after 28,000 miles...

hard question....which are best for you?

how much do you use your brakes, how hard, do they fade on you, do you care abotu dust/noise/cost etc etc.

I dotn really care about dust, but price is pretty important.

I use mintex simply becuase A) i know they dont fade on me B) they are priced very very well c) they dont give off any mroe dust than std pads and they dont make any extra noise. I use std plain discs, from maxtorque.....non of this fancy drilled/grooved/dimpled/slotted etc.

You can spend more on some pagids you wont really use, ferodo but they are no better than mintex, red dot/tarox/ebc/black daimond etc if you want to pay for a fancy name.

Problem most people have is that they use the brakes and rely on them far too much, which is how they get perfectly fine pads to fade, and their fluid isnt usually in teh best state.

im still running std halfords pads i go the car with on me valver......not had them fade and they were fine on the track, infact.....ask loony...we had a locking problem hehe.

CTR EK9 turbo

and now for the annoying question - does anyone know how much a set of ebc green bogie front pads part number z3234987234079823471097hjfli28h for a 172 is? Cheers in advance! ;)

hey BEnR i fitted some discs and pads (uprated) and now theres soo much more bite just touching the brake pedal makes it respond real well, but when i really stand on them the clio seems to be hell of lot less twitchy braking from speed why is this, not like im complaining

Skoda Fabia vRS

K-Tec sell EBC Kevlar pads, and EBC Green Stuff

the normal KTR Kevlar pads are EBC Kevlar pads, and are not part of the colour range

i ordered some KTR Kevlar pads today so ill let you know what there like

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 29 April 2003

im still running std halfords pads i go the car with on me valver......not had them fade and they were fine on the track, infact.....ask loony...we had a locking problem hehe.
trust me braking was not a problem and no fade and we were going warp speed on the ass of a 300bhp scooby that couldnt shake us

and yeah ben that valve needs a little adjustment still as it was definately locking up the rears a bit on full on braking

haha, you noticed!

avon rise on the 2nd lap was exciting eh!

ive backed the valve off and its fine now....but i might bring ti back up for the nxt one!!! lol

what the hell have you been doing to your pads Si ?

ive done approaching 22k and the fronts are apparently half done and the rears were shot at the last service (november, 14k miles)

no im pretty sure i use my brakes fairly "enthusiastically" on most occassions and what the hell had happened to my back ones then ?

the garage did check the brake bias valve ? is that it ? but i seem to remember reading that the back pads were made of a different material or something....

I ordered K-Tec EBC Kelvar rear pads (havent arrived yet though). You cant get Green Stuff rear pads for a 172.

Mintex/ferrodo do good rear pads.

CTR EK9 turbo

Hey, cheers for all the replys guys. Ill probably get these ebcs now. £49 isnt too bad, and maybe just stick with renault rears......