ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting 182 interior door handles?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

Just after some advice and suggestions regarding the interior door handles on the 182. We all know about the crappy rubberised, sticky coating that comes on them and I was just after removing them and spraying them matt black.

Is there a best-practice to this? Removing the remnants of that coating with hot water and Fairy liquid? Does the surface afterwards need prepping for spraying, or will something like a can of Plasti-Kote be sufficient?

I'm not particularly after outstanding results - but ANYTHING is better than the handles being left in the shitty appearance that they have now! :p

Cheers.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Soak them in Dettol overnight and the rubber coating just peels off.
They'll need a good wash and dry afterwards, make sure they're grease free and clean then prime with plastic primer before painting and lacquering.
I never actually got round to finishing mine.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for that - it's something that I want to do.

Not fussed about colour-matching as they are scratched/caught with people's nails, rings etc - just something to make them look better than what they do already.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just fit bog standard ones Darren.
To be fair Mossy, I put them in a warm bucket of hot water and Fairy liquid mix and left for an hour. Came back with a sponge scourer and the result on the right was literally a couple of minutes of going over with the sponge.

I'd say it's got rid of at 95%+ of the sticky crap that was on there - I bet with a quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol or similar, the last dregs will come off completely. :)

1594366702192.png

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Next step done. Went over them for a few minutes with a fine grit paper. Got rid of the last bits without any need for further chemicals. Plus, it keyed the plastic a little for the primer - even though it probably didn’t need it.

1594542138404.jpeg

Using the primer, in several light coatings, it certainly applied itself well.

1594542250694.jpeg

Then left them out to dry for a while. Will hopefully be painting them later today, followed by a clear lacquer tomorrow. So far, all good. 😃

1594542414047.jpeg

Attachments

• 1594542228610.jpeg
    1594542228610.jpeg
    631 KB · Views: 110

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted them in earlier. A big improvement, but not flawless by my (lack of) spraying skills! They started to get some dust on them within seconds it seemed, but at least they can be wiped with a cloth easily now.

And yep - I'll activate the passenger air-bag again when I next get back in it. :)

1594924183898.png

1594924202749.png

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Fitted them in earlier. A big improvement, but not flawless by my (lack of) spraying skills! They started to get some dust on them within seconds it seemed, but at least they can be wiped with a cloth easily now.

And yep - I'll activate the passenger air-bag again when I next get back in it. :)

View attachment 1485988

View attachment 1485989
Looks a decent job. Much better than the old sticky coating.
What colour did you use?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looks a decent job. Much better than the old sticky coating.
What colour did you use?

I used the following three products. Got the primer and paint from Amazon and the acrylic from The Range as an afterthought.

Plasti-kote 25001 400ml Primer - Black
Plasti-kote 23101 400ml Premium Spray Paint - Matt Black
Plasti-kote 24002 400ml Premium Spray Paint - Matt Clear Acrylic

In hindsight, I would have probably used the Plasti-Kote 25003 grey primer to make coverage visibly different during spraying, but that was a minor thing.