ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting blasted wheels

Astra gsi turbo
I have just had my 182 wheels blasted. What's the next step before painting as they are very rough feeling after the blasting. Do they need sanded ? And what primer do I use ?

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Hi i did a set a couple of months ago,if you put a few layers of primer down then sand em down they will be nice and smooth for top coat and laquer
I just used the grey primer from halfords did the job fine

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Was told by a local wheel paint man that blasting permenently damages wheels ndvare really only able to be powder coated afterwards.

Obviously this depends on the grade of shot used but it sounds like your wheels have had quite a wavy shot used and so they have quite deep pitting. High build primer and some patience is all I can suggest

172 + 1.2
Halfords aerosols aren't very high build, you can get Upol high 5 in Halfords which although is more expensive it'll fill far deeper marks and save you in the long run

172 + 1.2
Assumed it was aerosols you were using, must be really deep marks if 2k high build primer isn't filling them!

Astra gsi turbo
I'll try get pics tomorro. So far I did 2 coats of etch and 1 coat of high build. Now I'm sanding

Don't bother sanding 1 coat of high build. Get 3 good coats on it then sand. No need to sand in between. If it's proper UPOL high build stuff out a tin you're using they should be fine after that, although it's hard to say without seeing them up close.

There's no need for more than one coat of etch either, for future reference.

If it's the same UPOL high build stuff we use at work it's meant to be mixed 4:1 with appropriate hardener, we use UPOL's stuff to go with it. You can throw in 5% thinner if you find it too thick, again we use UPOL's stuff for that.

Dodgy one
Id have probrably 80 gritted them then finished in 180 before high building them, it all depends what media was used to blast them with as to how much prep is needed