ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting brake callipers

Clio182
Looking for recommendations for brake calliper paint! Ideally something easy to apply, long lasting and a vivid colour.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
You can put as much paint on as you like but if you don't prepare them first, they'll be rusty within weeks. It's why i do my own and not go the powder coating route.

So here's the last set i did last year. Never been on the car, but sat in the garage - which at times during the cold winter gets a lot of moisture - but as you can see still perfect. I'll fit these when the current one's go rusty, but they haven't yet ;)

Whip the old parts out, buy a kit from Big Redd. Knock off any crud with a small hammer if applicable and agitate the rusty bits with a wire brush. Buy some Bilt Hamber Hydrate-80, if you haven't already got some, then put a couple of good coats over the calipers. It'll dry a blackish colour and convert the iron oxides into a metal complex. It'll also leave a barrier to stop any surface moisture restarting the corrosion process.

Nip down to Halfords or go on interweb and buy some VHT paint - colours are a bit limited at Halfords but i like titanium so just mix Black and Silver until i get the right colour.

Brush on a few coats and leave to dry overnight. Put your new parts in and jobs a good one. I used to swap my old rusty calipers for refurbished ones but they never have enough paint on them so just rust through. Powder coating is no better long term as they don't treat the surface prior to coating, effectively sticking paint over metal that's already started corroding.

IMG_3639.jpeg
IMG_3638.jpeg
IMG_3635.jpeg

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I literally just wire brushed mine down, gave them a quick wipe with a cloth then brushed some silver hammerite on them and they’ve been absolutely fine for ages. I tend to just give them a quick once over in the summer when I can be arsed.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I literally just wire brushed mine down, gave them a quick wipe with a cloth then brushed some silver hammerite on them and they’ve been absolutely fine for ages. I tend to just give them a quick once over in the summer when I can be arsed.
Calipers, not Volvo mate.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
MS Engineering is what you want, For the price you cant beat it, Full strip down and full rebuild with new parts.

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_0371.jpg