ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting Callipers

Clio Sport 172
Off to Halfords tomorrow too get some Hammerite Silver and a wire brush.... How long do you recommend you leave the paint to dry before driving?

172//Crap Micra//Bus
Did mine last week... didn't get Hammerite, but the stuff i got was pretty thick tbh... so figured 1 coat was enough. I painted and just put the wheels back on, then left it bout 24hrs... just to make sure they where properly dry! Look well though

106 GTi
I would always leave it over night. Neighbour drove his after a couple of hours and the paint got hot and ended up inside the wheels!

BMW M135i
I left mine for a few hours on both the 172 and 1.6 and they were fine, both done with hammerite.

if you paint, and carefully put wheel back on ,then do otherside, put wheel on, go in for hour, then once touch dry, go out and do an emergency stop they should be fine!! done mine many a times and thas what i do!!

Clio Sport 172
I would always leave it over night. Neighbour drove his after a couple of hours and the paint got hot and ended up inside the wheels!

Thats what I was worried about. I think i will leave it 4 or 5 hours and I am pretty sure that will be fine.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Has anyone ever painted the centre hub part of there disc?

Saw a car locally that had done this with a light/ faint gold and it looked quite good. considering doing it myself as it's bound to look better than the standard dirty/ rusty look

106 GTi
Yeap Hub centres are fine with Hammerite smooth too.

P5150022.jpg

P5160001.jpg

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i left mine for about erm 20mins then took it out for a blast to warm them up n dry the paint, done this with all mine and they are all perfect

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
left mine for a day! had no problems! a day is a bit ott imo! just luckly i didnt want to use the car ;)

Image032-1.jpg

Image033-1.jpg

Image034.jpg

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I think I might do this at the weekend then, need your suggestions on colour?

I've got the anthracite wheels on my LY, painted the front calipers silver to stand out behind the wheels and was going to do the rears to match, then paint the hub centres in the gold. Now I'm thinking of doing it all silver. or maybe calipers gold? I don't know now. What do you reckon?

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
silver of black ;)

black keeps them standard looking - and silver adds a nice touch (silver looked nice on my silver 182) but i dont think it would have looked as good on inferno thats why i stuck with black)
you dont want to attrack to my attention to standard brakes! :)

Clio Sport 172

I've got the anthracite wheels on my LY, painted the front calipers silver to stand out behind the wheels and was going to do the rears to match, then paint the hub centres in the gold. Now I'm thinking of doing it all silver. or maybe calipers gold? I don't know now. What do you reckon?

Deffo go for yellow on yours. Mine are drying as we speak. I have a light close by to keep WARM and a hairdryer if needed. On my second coat. Had too park it in the garage as it started too rain... typical

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Deffo go for yellow on yours. Mine are drying as we speak. I have a light close by to keep WARM and a hairdryer if needed. On my second coat. Had too park it in the garage as it started too rain... typical

Go what with yellow? calipers?
The silver calipers aren't too bold or stand out, just look tidy when you look at the wheel. I'm thinking gold calipers would really stand out more and maybe clash with the LY.
Will it look odd with silver calipers and gold hub centres, but then you don't really see the hub centres when the wheels are on unless you're specifically looking at them.

I think silver calipers & then do the hubs gold, the hubs aren't that noticeable really. Or if you don't like the gold just do them silver.

I think that subtle is the way forward.

So far I did my front ones black too (they are ap four pots) I added the ap decals to them too, yellow decals (so they are the correct colourway)

Haven't done the rears yet, they are a faded silver:dapprove: so do I do the rear ones black as planned ?? Or do them silver ?? They will remain plain as the rear calipers look pap.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Black is the best option. Seein at the 172 calipers look pisch...I had silver till i got my 4 pots and it transformed the overall look.

DSC01306.jpg

to

DSC01455.jpg

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
Black is the best option. Seein at the 172 calipers look pisch...I had silver till i got my 4 pots and it transformed the overall look.

DSC01306.jpg

to

DSC01455.jpg

did you spray the center of the disk? what with?? :S

:)