ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting Carbon

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Does anyone know if there are any issues from painting Carbon. Can you achieve a decent finish without problem.
The reason i'm asking is my Carbon Bonnet is being painted Iceberg Silver and the guy says he cannot acheive a smooth finish as the carbon weave is grainy and cannot be smoothed down very well. This is only around the area where the bonnet bulge is.
Also, surely a stone chipped bumper is an easy fix? It's nothing bad, just the usual stuff on the front. I thought i might as well have it painted while i'm having the bonnet done.
I went to pick em up today but wasn't happy with the work so he said he would get them done again but made excuses for the poor work.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Two-pack priming anything will give a smooth finish. It needs to be left overnight to dry, that'll fill any pinholes etc. Then a quick flick of black primer over the top(to use as a guide), and use a 1200 wet'n'dry to remove all the black dots (so you know it's evenly smooth).

Take it to another bodyshop.

hes talking s**t, like the rest have said basically, the finish of the paint is all in the prep work with primer etc, we spray carbon frames (push bikes) in work and sometimes we even have to blend the colour into the carbon, so its defo possible

80MPG BEEZA
plus the laquer is smoothed on a carbon bonnet to a smooth finish so it should be no problem

Megane 230 R26
It's amazing, some of the places that call themselves bodyshops... then again it's the same for garages in general sometimes! If they don't know something, it's not possible - god forbid that they just might not know how. As they say, "a little bit of knowledge is dangerous".

How much was the carbon bonnet btw?

80MPG BEEZA
im after one at the mo 2 ther;e son on ebay for £250 but it pictures the mk1 ph2 and says its for the rs1 and he aint very good at messaging back