ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting & Protecting Calipers

Planning on giving my calipers a lick of silver paint soon, brought a wire brush to help clean them when I was last in Halfrauds but they didn't have any silver high temp/engine paint in stock.

Does it need to be high temperature/engine paint? or will standard 'Hammerite Smooth' do the job. Obviously I don't want it to bubble, flake or peel off and look ****!

I was also thinking about laquering them too, along with some sealant to help make cleaning them easier? Along with giving them a bit of a shine.

Though I'm not sure if there is any point as they're bound to get caked in brakedust which will probaly just work it's way through due to being pritty much on the pads. If it is worthwhile I guess high temp laquer will be needed. Would a special sealant be required too? I have some poorboys on the wheels atm which is doing a class job :cool: but am not sure how long it will last under high temperatures.

Any help, recommendations, photo's or experiences would be great!

BennyC

Mine were originally done in high temp paint, but then i fancied a change so wire brushed, cleaned and then just sprayed using normal body paint. its been fine for a good few months now.

Mine were originally done in high temp paint, but then i fancied a change so wire brushed, cleaned and then just sprayed using normal body paint. its been fine for a good few months now.

Thanks for the reply.

I know Halfords used to stock high temp hammerite, as I used to work for them, but have never been able to find any in store recently.

1.5dci
can you paint the outside of the drum brakes too, and would it be the same method.?
If i'm ever gonna get my alloys perfect then it'd be nice to not have them looking so shappy and corroded/rusty/what ever it is on them! I'm thinking just black inside the silver alloys might be quite smart

Clio 182
can you paint the outside of the drum brakes too, and would it be the same method.?
If i'm ever gonna get my alloys perfect then it'd be nice to not have them looking so shappy and corroded/rusty/what ever it is on them! I'm thinking just black inside the silver alloys might be quite smart

when doing the drums give them a good wire brushing down before painting them. plus i wouldnt paint them in any colour apart from black. tbh id rather have rusty drums than coloured ones.

1.5dci
when doing the drums give them a good wire brushing down before painting them. plus i wouldnt paint them in any colour apart from black. tbh id rather have rusty drums than coloured ones.

Yea defo either black or just left to standard. I was considering trying to see if i could colour match them body work wise, but think that could be a little pants and over the top.

Actually might try to find some pictures of what it'd look like first, still not completely sure if it's be worth the bother