ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting with rattle cans

Right, im currently trying to spray up some door bullets in inferno, but I just cant get them right. I got a tin of paint mixed up at my local motor factors.

My process was:
grey primer
3 coats of inferno
2 coats of lacquer

They have come out looking a bit red, and they dont match the car very well. Is there anything im doing wrong? What else could be causing them to go red-ish?

Thanks for any help.

Petrol Blue 182
"i got a tin of paint mixed up at my local factors" lol, colour matches are pants!!!!

my advise, send them to "spray shack" check out there website. www.[B]spray[/B]-shack.co.uk/

winner winner!!! ;)

"i got a tin of paint mixed up at my local factors" lol, colour matches are pants!!!!

my advise, send them to "spray shack" check out there website. www.spray-shack.co.uk/

winner winner!!! ;)

It was properly mixed, not just a bought tin. Iv had paint mixed up from there before and the colour match was perfect.

Dont want to send them there just yet, I dont like to give up!

Williams 2
Right, im currently trying to spray up some door bullets in inferno, but I just cant get them right. I got a tin of paint mixed up at my local motor factors.

My process was:
grey primer
3 coats of inferno
2 coats of lacquer

They have come out looking a bit red, and they dont match the car very well. Is there anything im doing wrong? What else could be causing them to go red-ish?

Thanks for any help.

Most likely the 'colour matched' colour isn't any good. Your best off going to a paint shop and getting them to mix a bit up and put it in a can.

Otherwise if you sprayed the colour on too 'wet' (too heavy and thick) this will make the metallic colour look a lot darker. Try painting it with lighter coats holding the can a little further away to lighten it a little.

And then, on top of that, rattle can lacquer is s**te. Often comes out quite dull, you could try buffing it a bit with compound and polish to bring out a deeper shine.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
mettailic build up. applied to much heavy coats which then makes the tinny metal particals build up making it more lighter and crap.

what he said above is about top notch!

Williams 2
What is that and how do i stop it? :eek:

Same as my above post, its when the metallic in the paint is sprayed on heavily and particles do not disperse properly in the paint making it look darker. Try painting it with lighter coats.

Finish on the last coat with a very light, fast 'dusty' coat about a foot and a half away to make the metallic stand out before lacquer.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Are you matching the inferno colour to the door paint or the side strips? As the side strips are different to the door colour.

mettailic build up. applied to much heavy coats which then makes the tinny metal particals build up making it more lighter and crap.

what he said above is about top notch!

Same as my above post, its when the metallic in the paint is sprayed on heavily and particles do not disperse properly in the paint making it look darker. Try painting it with lighter coats.

Finish on the last coat with a very light, fast 'dusty' coat about a foot and a half away to make the metallic stand out before lacquer.

Ah tbh, I think I may have put them on a bit thick. Thanks for the help there guys. :)

When you say you've bought paint from there before and it matched OK, was it Inferno?

No, but the principles of mixing paint are the same, yes?

Are you matching the inferno colour to the door paint or the side strips? As the side strips are different to the door colour.

They look the same to me on my car?

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
ive sprayed engine cover and interior trims had no problem, can made up by local paint shop :)

The IXELL (what renault used) Inferno Orange requires an oxide red ground coat,.............they should tell you that when you ordered the paint.....matching a small peice of plastic but up to anouther you wont ever get spot on unless you blend it.

Also ive seen mixes requiring to go over a white on different schema's (Lechler etc), check with your paint supplier......also if you lacquering is lacking gloss compared to the car it will darken the colour, also you should do a dust coat after 2 coats of the base coat.

Obviously we've done 100's of sets of bullets lol, so if you get stuck drop me a PM

Cheers,
Simon @ SS

Well yes, but Inferno is a s**t load harder to match than say black for example. Did they compare shade chips next to the car before mixing?

They showed me the paint before they put it in the tin and it did look a lot like inferno.

The IXELL (what renault used) Inferno Orange requires an oxide red ground coat,.............they should tell you that when you ordered the paint.....matching a small peice of plastic but up to anouther you wont ever get spot on unless you blend it.

Also ive seen mixes requiring to go over a white on different schema's (Lechler etc), check with your paint supplier......also if you lacquering is lacking gloss compared to the car it will darken the colour, also you should do a dust coat after 2 coats of the base coat.

Obviously we've done 100's of sets of bullets lol, so if you get stuck drop me a PM

Cheers,
Simon @ SS

Red oxide primer? They never told me that. Right ill have another go with all the tips from this thread. Thanks for all the help, if I get stuck again ill give you a shout! lol

They showed me the paint before they put it in the tin and it did look a lot like inferno.

Problem is, there may well be more than one shade of Inferno which has appeared over the years it was in use, due to Renault swapping paint manufacturers among other things. If it's the wrong shade, it won't match no matter how well you apply the paint, so you may well be better off handing them to a pro.

Problem is, there may well be more than one shade of Inferno which has appeared over the years it was in use, due to Renault swapping paint manufacturers among other things. If it's the wrong shade, it won't match no matter how well you apply the paint, so you may well be better off handing them to a pro.

They got the paint code from my reg, so surely it would have came up with the correct shade? But anyway, ill try them again and see what happens. :)

Your reg will only give them the code for Inferno, different paint manufacturers have different shades. Their system may only have one shade for Inferno mind but it's another possibility as to why it's off.