ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting tips, tricks and Advice thread.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I assume there's a fair few painters on here, since we've recently started doing 'proper' spray painting in work, I've started reading up on how to get proper automotive finishes, what effects orange peel, how to spray metallic and pearl etc.

This is complete overkill for work as we literally aim for a reasonable looking solid colour coat on tools... But because I'm sad I like to know the theory behind what I'm doing and want to be able to spray well for when I do my own stuff.

This blokes videos really helped me. I can (and have) watch him paint for hours lol.

This one in particular really helped me with lacquer application

https://youtu.be/MirPi4UBfO8

I've whored these around enough but until I find something else to paint, these will do.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A few colour coats of metallic followed by a 'dust' coat while the paint was still tacky.
The dust coat was to allow the metal flakes to stand up and not be pulled flat by the paint.
Once that dried, I did a close coat of lacquer, allowed that to tack off then two wet coats, allowing 10-15 mins in between to tack off.

Now, the tips and tricks advice I'm after,

I can get the automotive paint (which I use for my own stuff) to fan reasonably well, 6" fan and even coverage while settling great.

But when I use the work paint, I can't remember exactly what it is but it's meant to be a 'single coat gloss coat', I can't get more than a 2.5" fan unless I go up to about 40% thinners.

The specified 10-20% thinners makes it flow and lie awfully, giving a nasty almost textured finish. That's fine for work, but I want to know why it does this and how to stop it without upping the thinners.

Here's what I mean, that has the lacquer over the top, but due to how the paint underneath was lying, I couldn't get the lacquer to settle right.

image.jpeg

Now, I can flat the colour and/or lacquer back and flow coat the top coat of lacquer to get a nicer finish but that's not really ideal when trying to get jobs out of the door.

image.jpeg

So yeah, any questions, tips and tricks for painting are appreciated.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Here's one.

What will give a finish like this, but not take forever to dry, and be fairly resilient?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

To get that finish I had to thin the paint quite a bit and properly lay it on to get it to pool up.

But obviously that's laid on thick and will take forever to dry. Is there anything quicker, easier and better to use?

I have 'epoxy resin' in my head but I can't find anything online which matches what I'm after

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
One is a devilbiss somethingorother

And this is the other, it came in some cheap looking box set but it works brilliantly with automotive paint, just not the s**t I use in work lol

image.jpeg