ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Panel filters - Do they actually make ANY difference?

Clio 182
i have an ITG and the only difference i would say was in mpg, but then again my standard filter wasnt the best ever.

if you apply a little thought, you can satisfy your curiosity by removing parts of the OE system to see what difference their absence makes.

that said, the fuelling/timing will need setting to suit to see maximum benefit.

Maxogen is a shocker at £400 IMO.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Perfomance on track tells another story.

As do RR figures.

Makes a big difference high up the rev range.

So no it's not all in my head & some of us don't worry about the cost.

Thought everyone on CS was on £30K+!!! ;)

RB 182
Ive just bitten the bullet and got an ITG one, and yeah i reckon its made a difference. Coming back from Manchester airport uphill on the M62 in 5th @70ish, put my foot down and it just wanted to go! Only downside ive noticed is my wheels now bounce more than ever on accelaration!

Black PH2 172 FF
I have a Maxogen & yes there is a difference.

I hear that the Maxogen does give positive results, but I was just asking about panel filters. :)

Seems that the one to go for, if any, is an ITG then.

I take it that these are like the K&N and NEVER need to be replaced...

a clean paper one will flow just as good as an aftermarket one in reality. its much tighter yes but the increased surface are compensates for that.

a clean paper one will flow just as good as an aftermarket one in reality. its much tighter yes but the increased surface area compensates for that.

a clean paper one will flow just as good as an aftermarket one in reality. its much tighter yes but the increased surface area compensates for that.

205Gti,HondaCBR600RR
I dont think it makes a difference on its own but helps when you have other mods. Ive got an ITG.

E30 318iS x2
Had this chat at college n we came ti the conclusion that (obviously) cars just can't be modded the way they used to be. In an older car yes it may well make a noticable difference but engines are so advance not a little air filter wont change much if anything.

Best thing to do is change the cams for some high lift, longer duration cams, a re-map and then the filter could make some difference.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
DSC_0224.jpg

Red standard, blue Viper and GDi exhaust

You don't always need a remap to get a response out of basic mods :p

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
no lol wast of money imo.

all in ya head dude ..lol only diff is that they cost more ....

Waste of money? Cost more?

An ITG panel filter costs £47 once, and it lasts forever...or you could pay £15 for a paper one at every service.

You do the maths.

I take it that these are like the K&N and NEVER need to be replaced...

I've done probably 85k on mine now, and all it gets is a blast from Mike's air-hose at every service (6k).

As far as any difference goes...can't say I've ever noticed any - apart from the cheaper servicing.

C63 AMG
Actually, you'll still be charged for the filter at a service; they'll charge for washing it. And if you take it to Renault for a service (which is the worst thing a sane person can do) then they probably won't even clean it - and still charge the £15ish for it!!

'07 Impreza, 182 sold now
:lolup: Renault will not charge u £15 and of course they dont bloody clean it!

how is this thread 2 pages long ????? NO panel filters dont make any difference what so ever, it will just save money over x number of years

Not sure if this has been posted before, but this test shows that foam filters perform badly in filtering efficiency, while "wet/oiled" cotton was a little better.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

In the test below, it showed that a clean paper filter is in fact the least restrictive.

http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/

With this in mind I intend to stick to the standard oem or a good quality paper filter and change it regularly to have the best performance and protection.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my car made 175ps (173bhp) on the rollers, at a RR day where the results were VERY accurate and consistent.

obviously different cars /engines are different, and make different power but when most 182's and 172s were making just under book power, mine making over seemed to be good!

172 Race Car
Not sure if this has been posted before, but this test shows that foam filters perform badly in filtering efficiency, while "wet/oiled" cotton was a little better.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

In the test below, it showed that a clean paper filter is in fact the least restrictive.

http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/

With this in mind I intend to stick to the standard oem or a good quality paper filter and change it regularly to have the best performance and protection.

^ interesting read