ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pappasmurf Mingo project

pappasmurf

ClioSport Club Member
  Arctic Blue 182
Not a massive update but, finally got the track wheels and tyres sorted.
Grabbed some used R888 of the bay for what I think is a pretty good price.
Only fifty percent worn and even across all four. Wheels have been powder coated and look pretty good. Just need to sort a stud and nut kit now.
DSC_0006.JPG

pappasmurf

ClioSport Club Member
  Arctic Blue 182
Small update, have ordered a stud and nut kit from PMS which will hopefully arrive this Friday. I'll see if I can get them fitted then or Saturday. Pics to follow.

pappasmurf

ClioSport Club Member
  Arctic Blue 182
Update, well, kind of.
So for the past month, I've basically abused the mingo, all miles no love.
Being my daily, its been hard to do much with it.
However, it was that time of year again and off it went for mot. Fairly confident, didn't pay it any thought. First mistake.
So it failed, outer cv gator split, number plate too small and emissions through the roof. All of these things I can do myself, when I'm not doing every hour under the sun. So, begrudgingly, I let them sort it. Turns out cat was knackered which is really annoying as Ive got a straight through pipe to fit after it went through mot.
It's now certificated so I thought, I'll get it cleaned. Mistake number two.
They did a shite job so now it's looking very sorry for itsself.
It has kicked my arse abit though though so today I will be stripping down my karcha to get it sorted and I'll go back to washing it myself. I use snow foam and two bucket method with lambswool mits but that's the extent of my detailing knowledge. Expect some questions on products shortly regarding wax sealers etc.
I also have a fair few bits to fit which have been accrewing. So in the next week or so I have to fit:
Straight through pipe
New coolest bottle with type D
PMS stud kit
Stainless bleed nipples and brake fluid change (motul 600?)
Track wheels while the day to days are refurbed

pappasmurf

ClioSport Club Member
  Arctic Blue 182
I'm sure there's a couple more things in there somewhere too. Either way, expect some reasonable progress coming up.

pappasmurf

ClioSport Club Member
  Arctic Blue 182
Well, reasonable progress didn't happen lol. Unfortunately, due to job
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
requirements I've done very little to the mingo. However, due to a track day at Donnington tomorrow, I've actually had to do something.
So, finally fitted my stud kit that's been sat around forever. Also, really glad I had a look over the car prior to tomorrow as pulled the front pads out to find them in a shitty state. Quick run to Suttons and twenty quid later, some Ferrodo pads to be destroyed.

pappasmurf

ClioSport Club Member
  Arctic Blue 182
So I survived my first ever track day.
I'm very happy to report that I didn't stop play for anybody and the Clio performed faultlessly throughout the day.
To say that the car is standard with the exception of a decat and the r888 I had on (didn't realise their bloody old 07)
I managed to keep within my limits and got a reel feel for the car. As advised, I did six or seven laps at a time, a cool down lap and then came in. Did this from half nine up till three and only really got the brakes over hot once.
The tuition really really helped though.
So, what I learnt.
Should of fitted the poly dog bone back in before hand but I forget. Some brembo disks and better pads are needed but the biggest thing is gonna be a set of seats. I'm not a small guy so was having to fight with myself to stay in place. Some very kind gent in a clio let me sit in his Monacos which fit me bang on so gonna get a set of those.