ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passport Hardrive broke?

6/468 17poo
Just plugged in a 1 month old WD external hard drive and spins up 3 times then isnt recoginised at all on my mac?

Anyone else had problems with these?

its a 500gb one...it worked half hour ago light just flashes but no info!

Mondeo ST TDci
sounds odd, but have you tried re-booting ya mac then plugging it in again? i had something similar earlier but a quick reboot solved it.

6/468 17poo
Nope rebooted mac and nothing the drive flashes but its not coming up?

Its well annoying, i reckon its knackard?

Mondeo ST TDci
:( have u got another pc to try it in? if it doesn't pop up .... does it show up in disk utility? if it doesn't..... then i think its dead..

6/468 17poo
Plugged it in the ps3......tries to spin up 10 times then nothing!

Doesnt show up on my mates vista, so i presume its broken?

God ive just put loads on it too!Rubbish!

Mondeo ST TDci
bugger :( think its dead then mate. as a last resort, you might be able to strip the HDD out and try it in a caddy..... it might just be a problem with the interface circuitry ??

6/468 17poo
I have no idea what that means stuart? lol

Its only a month old was an xmas present, ill take it back to currys? they probably wont honour it though!!

Jeeeez ive had a book one for years and thats been fine - i knew this tiny one was too good to be true!

Conneh - You serious freezer?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
WD Passport drives are covered by a 3 year warranty

sounds odd that it's failed so quickly though, WD drives are one of the more reliable ones

Rusty Cup
plug it into your mac, run disk utility (use the the search in the top right hand of the screen) then select the disk and run "repair disk".

The most likely out come is that you will not see the external drive in disk utility but this will prove that the drive is faulty...

If the drive is clicking then it is def broken!!

Rusty Cup
WD Passport drives are covered by a 3 year warranty

sounds odd that it's failed so quickly though, WD drives are one of the more reliable ones

WD are good, we sell loads and never see them come back. It could be that a USB-Y cable will sort the issue as it combines the power of two usb's but thats me assuming the drive has never mounted before...

306 TD Slut
a lot of wd passports do this. theres plenty of similar senareos if you google it, doesnt seem like there much you can do about it either which is a shame!

Rusty Cup
if its in warranty you got no probs sorting it, if that fails kick up a fuss where you bought it saying it was miss sold to me and doesnt meet any of my requirements :)

Ok that last one might be getting a bit creative :p

Clio Dynamique
Currys are absolutely useless with brignign stuff back but according to the sales of goods act 1979 if a product breaks within the first 6 months then it is assumed by law that it was faulty when you purchased it and it is the shops responsibilty to exhange or refund not the manufactures so go there and say that and kick up a fuss thats what i did and it worked as its the law at the end of the day you cant argue