ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pauls Sunflower - in it for the long run

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
I bought my Sunflower just over a year ago now, wasn’t sure if I would be keeping it, but a year on its safe to say the flower is staying put. I wasn’t sure if it would work as a family car with 2 young boys, but its making do, yes I have to move the seat forwards alot when I have my youngest sat in the back but its manageable.

As soon as I drove it about 1/2 mile on the test drive I knew somehow I would make do, I instantly loved it. When I bought it, it wasn’t the tidiest and still has jobs to do, but I could see something special in it and bought my way into the Sunflower. Next say alot of snow oh well....

So here it is when I picked it up with 63k on the clock and im now the 5th keeper

Picture001.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture218.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture217.jpg
[/IMG]

looking at the pictures it doesnt look too bad, but trust me, she was filthy especially inside.

few bits I knew straight away I needed to do other than a through clean inside and out included fixing the airbag and serv light, re syncing the central locking also an annoying scrape on the drivers side needed something doing to it. Half way home the speedo stopped working, hhmmmm thought what have I done came to mind.

So got it home and thanks to this site soon had the airbag light and central locking working again. then trip to the local dealers for a gearbox sender for the speedo and we were back in business.

bonus of bonus then noticed the stainless exhaust from cat back :)

Couple of 'renault checkers' and the scrape is out of sight for the time being.

Picture526.jpg
[/IMG]

whilst by the Renault dealer, I popped into the Seat and came out with this, still not sure now a Cupra splitter fits so well.

Picture007.jpg
[/IMG]

From memory that takes me upto the first month of ownership, couple of cosmetic touches, a good clean inside and a couple of niggles fixed.

il update more shortly

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Looks good! Sunflowers are the best <3 common as muck now iirc. ;)

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Looks really nice mate. Gotta love PH1s!

definately, im a fan of the Ph1, just not smitten with the ph2 as much. cant beat the front view of a ph1

Nice plate.

someone mentioned the plate before, I didnt get it tho lol

Looks good! Sunflowers are the best <3 common as muck now iirc. ;)

only 31, but i can think of at least 6 on here, wonder how many there actually are left in the UK?

Nice but I think id rather have the scrape then those stickers.

I know not to everyones liking, i prefer the cleaner look too, but until funds allow for a respray they stay put.

i like it, especially the cupra splitter :)

suit the Ph1 so well i reckon and protects the bumper, didnt think it was that low but it scrapes a bit on the odd incline

This.

Looks great though. They really look amazing when clean!!
Has your rear bumper faded slightly? Looks slightly lighter in the pics. Exactly the same as what mine has done :eek:. Will keep my eyes on the thread.

its not as bad as the picture looks, but it is a little lighter but when polished up looks great, saying that the cars flithy at the moment now its milder il get out there.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
It was then due its first proper clean, im not a full detailler but a keen washer lol

Picture021.jpg
[/IMG]

looking better

Picture023.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture013.jpg
[/IMG]

Other mods over the year include addition of a cup spoiler, i still need to get this painted sunflower its Black at the moment. Im tempted to hunt down a Trophy or V6 one tho.

Also set of Sportlines and new rear shocks have been fitted, definately made it feel alot more stable. would prefer a lower stance especially at the rear, but handles and rides well.

New Brembo discs and pads up front to

Picture034.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture033.jpg
[/IMG]

so what does the future bring?

well depends upon the role the car takes, at the moment its a daily driver. Having just been made redundant all plans are on hold but probable il have to buy something diesal like to munch up lots of miles. IN which case the flower will get parked up for a while and become a weekend / evening toy.

my hopes include...

refurb of the wheels, either oe silver or a gunmetal silver (not quite antracite but mid way between silver and antracite) however could be tempted to track down a set of 16" F1's? opinions 15's or 16's??

want to tidy the paint work up, couple chips on the bonnet and also the scrape on the 1/4 panel. but worried once i start painting il be chasing the yellow all round the car trying to get the colour match spot on. bloody yellow.

engine, very tempted for the forced induction route. previously ran a Vectra which initially had a supercharger and later a T34 turbo and Autronic ECU. loved the power so very tempted to boost the Clio. But lessons learnt il prob stick to a 'reliable ish' 250-260, just not sure which route charger or a 225 type conversion. Time and money will tell.

SUNP0004.jpg
[/IMG]

other thoughts interior, would love some trendlines, but wouldnt we all. if I went this route, would likely update with a Ph2 interior or trim some Recarros to match the OE Ph1 blue.?

all I know is the Sunflower has found a home for a long time.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
ok got a bit distracted today, planning my turbo conversion if my work situation goes to plan, then the clio becomes a weekend car. id be looking for 250bhp ish but above all driveability not a big headline figure.

Ive been really inspired by Jacks recent turbo in his black Ph1, seems to have achieved good results and taken quite a straight forward route, so my thoughts for today...

run standard block and pistons and machine the combustion chamber on the head to lower the compression, to match a 197's head

the alternative to fit 225 pistons into my block or a 197 head itself. (is the expense time and money worthwhile over the above option? )

turbo - t25/28 seem to be the standard
manifold - any thoughts? ktec/engine dynamics? but sure read somewhere (and cant find the post) that a standard renault one was basically the same as the ktec manifold for fraction price - any more info?
downpipe - ktec or custom?
225 head gasket
225 injectors
airfilter
uprated fuel pump
forge or similar intercooler
mocal or similar oil cooler
solid engine mounts
air con delete kit
uprated rad / fan
mtech v4 ecu (thanks chip for the suggestion)
oil feeds and returns

factor in a cambelt change at the same time and i think im almost there.

any other bits ive missed (prob the most obvious) or other ideas / suggestions

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Paul your sunflowers looks like a very clean example from the pics :approve: & another boosted sunflower would be cool!

If I was you though I'd look into fitting a Megane 225/230 engine rather than 197 route. Have a look at Owens build he did it all himself & it was great, if I hadn't SC mine I'd defo be doing this.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?592446-F4rt-ph1

il have a read of his build cheers.

for its age im happy with it and think its really tidy, took all the wheels of last weekend to clean in the arches and amazed how good its looking.

you could always think about selling me your charger and build a turbo ;)

just need couple of work things to fall into place and i can get spending.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
good read and great project (owens) however would megane pistons in my block not be more straight forward in the long run, or even forged pistons and then just a 225 head etc on top?

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
is it really that straight forward a drop in tho, seems owen had lots to play with, would the hybrid not be a quicker conversion?

You have to change the Megane sump to a Clio sump & drill the block to match the holes for the Clio g/box & the wiring for the ecu/loom.

Drop Owen a PM to see if there's any other little things that need doing, & I'm sure he would even do the wiring for you.