ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] Battlefield 2142 revisited.....

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Three years on and this thing still captivates me like no other FPS game out there. After the v1.50 patch for the BF2 thread, I reinstalled BF2142 again. Going straight to single player mode to get the 'ol mouse and eye coordination back up to speed, I got an in-game buddy message from Racingblue182 (hai! x)

I switched to online mode and unfortunately lagged like a biatch. What I didn't realise until afterwards was that I was connected via wireless - hence the shiote response time.

Anyways, I 'got' it more or less straight away and despite playing quite badly, it was SO enjoyable. Frentic, chaotic, organised and fun all rolled into one. I've tried desperately (in my own mind) to highlight what makes this game really addictive. It doesn't look much cop anymore, the sounds are ok and the maps can appear a little samey.

But it works.... and works brilliantly. There are so many aspects to the game - one in particular was with flying the gunship. I'd normally setup an analogue joystick for it, but this time I thought I'd try the mouse and keyboard combo. Despite flying into things quite a lot :eek: - the single player mode allowed me to get to grips with it, rather than be made absolute mincemeat of, if I went online.

Now I can hover, fly sideways, re-arm and slowly target the enemy so it looks like I actually know what I'm doing - lol. Even after 280+ hours online, this is an entirely new aspect for me in this three year old game.

I thought I'd post a few screenshots, for those who might be interested and haven't give it a try before.

Last ditch defense..... which worked. :)

BF21422009-09-0920-58-47-92.jpg

Issuing orders via the commo-rose....

BF21422009-09-0921-01-09-98.jpg

Covering my tracks after climbing some ladders. The enemy was definitely down there as seen with the red name tag.

BF21422009-09-0921-04-18-35.jpg

The walker on my team firing at the enemy gunship

BF21422009-09-0921-11-16-73.jpg

Sniping from a ledge - just as an orbital strike is called in...

BF21422009-09-0920-56-18-18.jpg

Ready to board the gunship

BF21422009-09-0920-47-00-06.jpg

Mowing down the guys trying to capture a flag from the comfort of a walker....

BF21422009-09-0920-44-29-64.jpg

Anti-air turret on the walker providing aerial defense

BF21422009-09-0920-44-09-93.jpg

Gunship in flight

BF21422009-09-0920-40-08-78.jpg

Enemy gunship viewed through sniper scope

BF21422009-09-0920-38-37-21.jpg

Team-mate (AI bot) prone and sniping

BF21422009-09-0920-26-47-96.jpg

Cop for that Russian-speaking geezah ;)

BF21422009-09-0920-26-55-96.jpg

EMP charges going off as the walker on my side goes in

BF21422009-09-0920-26-34-37.jpg

Walker again

BF21422009-09-0920-26-28-40.jpg

Walker & tank battle on the Suez Canal map

BF21422009-09-1021-52-30-26.jpg

Friendly sniper on the roof of our team's Titan

BF21422009-09-1020-45-57-46.jpg

Enemy Titan shields down - in go the drop pods...

BF21422009-09-1020-46-39-10.jpg

Landing deck of our Titan

BF21422009-09-1020-29-15-82.jpg

One of the belly-turret views from the Titan

BF21422009-09-1020-19-41-39.jpg

Covering one of the Titan entry points with one of the best weapons in the game - the medic/assault class's Voss assault rifle

BF21422009-09-1020-34-20-07.jpg

As said, it's not new, but for people wanting an FPS game for the PC that is massively entertaining, enjoyable and thoroughly addictive, then I can't recommend BF2142 enough. It's only £18 at Play at the moment also - and that includes the Northern Strike expansion pack. Try it. You might like it. :D

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3582293/Battlefield-2142-Deluxe-Edition/Product.html

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182
Yeah this game just wasnt made for single player against the AI, get online i still play this every now and again.

Nissan 350z
Oh god you've made me miss this game. Im going to dig the disks out later now i reckon. I need to get the expansion pack though from somewhere! :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Oh god you've made me miss this game. Im going to dig the disks out later now i reckon. I need to get the expansion pack though from somewhere! :)

From £6.99 at Play. :)

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/330...hern-Strike/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0

Did my favourite 'Titan finale move' last night again! :cool: Our Titan got destroyed and as people bailed out off the deck, one of the opposition was ahead of me.

I jumped off after him and he pulled the parachute too early. I fell past him and opened my 'chute at the last possible moment. SMG out, crouched and waiting - he landed about 10ft away a few seconds later. Emptied a clip in him for a final kill.

D.

I used to love this game. Achieved the top rank and my favourite weapon was the Baur with Rocket attachment.

Have they fixed the issue yet with not supporting widescreens very well?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I used to love this game. Achieved the top rank and my favourite weapon was the Baur with Rocket attachment.

Have they fixed the issue yet with not supporting widescreens very well?

^^^ - take skillz that thing to use well, what with the recoil! I always found it better to switch to single-shot mode on that - a bit like a rapid firing rifle then. The rocket attachment unlock is vital on Titan mode, imo.

I still think that widescreen issue has yet to be resolved - if ever now? I run it on a 19" TFT, so 1280x1024 suits me fine for now. :)

Use to love it online, remember when i was ranked like in the top 5000 and thought i was amazing.

I managed to get in the top 2,000 globally in using the tank - which obviously isn't as good as your player rank in getting sub 5k! My favourite was in trying to take out gunships or air transport at low level. Lead the target...... account for the shell drop with gravity and BOOM! :approve:

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Started with a new soldier last (BF2142 allows you to have up to 4 at anyone time) and I'm progressing up the Recon tree. As it was previously the class I played the least with, I thought I'd go with this one. Managed to get a few unlocks so far....

BF21422009-09-1210-24-25-25.jpg

I would say that the Recon class is by the hardest to make any impression on the enemy with - at the start. The standard weapons are really weak, compared to those of other class starting kits, but at least the RDX explosives pack is one of the first unlocks available.

The RDX allows easy points - not only if you can place them on enemy vehicles or strategic points to catch out enemy infantry - but in denying the enemy assets, like their radar, EMP launchers, etc. This ties in well with the fact that the ranks and unlocks come thick and fast in the early stages - allowing you to get the Recon class very potent indeed.

As a word of warning to newcomers though - I'd leave the Recon class initially and pick one of the much easier classes of Assault or Support to use. :)

* - the unlocks with the small snowflake type symbol at the top are only available if you have the Northern Strike add-on.

D.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Now then Darren, as a matter of fact i was on this 2 weeks ago for a hour or two thought i get in back in the swing of things, god it's been a while be about 15 months since i was last on since getting my PS3, it is a very addictive game like. Still knife everybody and still go in rambo style lol.

If you want send me a pm for your email address and have a few battles, i'm still using my LordGedi name, i see you got a new name now i might start a new one too, not too sure tbh last i was on i was in the low 2000's in the world on rank and now i think i'm in the mid 4000's in the world

Give me a shout

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I like to play in the 16's 32's servers not too bust not too quiet, you still get people hogging the gunship like flies, there a low ranked guy and took my gunship not once but twice while i was standing next to it people got no manners anymore, so if i do start again i might start of as a sniper and get my unlocks on that one keep my distance and get low deaths and get high kills

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Now then Darren, as a matter of fact i was on this 2 weeks ago for a hour or two thought i get in back in the swing of things, god it's been a while be about 15 months since i was last on since getting my PS3, it is a very addictive game like. Still knife everybody and still go in rambo style lol.

If you want send me a pm for your email address and have a few battles, i'm still using my LordGedi name, i see you got a new name now i might start a new one too, not too sure tbh last i was on i was in the low 2000's in the world on rank and now i think i'm in the mid 4000's in the world

Give me a shout

Hi m8 - I'll buddy request you in the game again to add you to my new soldier. That's makes a definite 3-player 2142 setup from CS with ourkid from N.Ireland. We should try and arrange a time when we'll all be on - would be pretty good three of us vets on Titan Mode showing the noobs a few things or two! Hopefully! :cool:

D.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Aye Darren, cant wait i will do some more practice on Single player i think i need it after over a year without playing i should get in the swing of things quickly.

Do you think i should start fresh on a new player as this is my only first online pc game, at mo i''ve got 46 buddy's what did you do with yours? have to say this is one of the best FPS game out there even more so it's an old one

Cant wait to kick some noob asss lol, when i was on the other day or whatever there was still fresh recruits so the game has it still

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Aye Darren, cant wait i will do some more practice on Single player i think i need it after over a year without playing i should get in the swing of things quickly.

Do you think i should start fresh on a new player as this is my only first online pc game, at mo i''ve got 46 buddy's what did you do with yours? have to say this is one of the best FPS game out there even more so it's an old one

Cant wait to kick some noob asss lol, when i was on the other day or whatever there was still fresh recruits so the game has it still

I think if you start a new player, probably pick a class that you didn't really touch on before. I did that with recon as I never really give it much of a chance before and focused pretty much purely on the engineer class. Its giving me plenty of new challenges - especially sniping which I'm currently hopeless at - lol! The biggest issue you'll have with the new player is the crap stamina and sprint distances, etc!

D.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Aye i know what you mean, im thinking of calling my new player "Get_Some" lolol, got it of Generation Kill mini series. I'm going on now for a quick single player blast

Edit: it allready exists proper FTL

Almost bought this today with the orange box in Games 2 for £25 offfer but have too many other games to play and a kitchen to fit lol!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
1942 ftw!

im also hooked on 1943.

even the desert combat addon was ace!

BF1942 is still a benchmark, I think. It raised the standard by a massive margin and I was genuinely shocked at how good a game it was when that Tobruk demo was released.

As I've said on quite a few threads, I still think that the El Alamein map on BF1942 is one of the best on any FPS game. The scale of it and detail within the map is truly impressive.

And Desert Combat was superb as a free download. No wonder DICE poached most of their staff!

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd have a dabble with the screen res on this game - as it ALWAYS gets installed onto my PC. I wondered if it would support 1920x1200? And sure enough, it did. :cool:

Slight edit of the launch icon..... and bingo!

BF2142resize.jpg

BF21422010-01-0919-40-31-21.jpg

BF21422010-01-0919-31-40-81.jpg

BF21422010-01-0919-31-34-93.jpg

Not bad for a 2006 game and running in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit OS. :approve:

D.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
still looks amazing that game, and also remember those shotguns i ruled the titan defense with those baby's got kicked off the server countless of times thought i was cheating, and no i wasnt cheating

Octy VRS
It holds up pretty well for a 4 year old game. BF2 was awesome too. Still liking BF1943 after the BFBC2 beta finished.

Megane R26
I spent hourrrrrs on this game. I was #2 in the UK with the Walker at one point, must have been back in 2007 though. I remember I had a month off work ill with bronchitis and spent the time getting all of my gold badges so that I could be the 5* General for a week, but I didn't get it :(

I haven't played it since, but I'm up for a game. I was lethal with the Baur towards the end - 2 shots and you're down. Voss was such a noobs gun :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
still looks amazing that game, and also remember those shotguns i ruled the titan defense with those baby's got kicked off the server countless of times thought i was cheating, and no i wasnt cheating

Funnily enough m8, I was hopeless with the shotgun on the larger monitor - thankfully in single player. Need a little more practice. However, the Ganz HMG was a welcome return - in prone & firing bursts, FTW. :)

It holds up pretty well for a 4 year old game. BF2 was awesome too. Still liking BF1943 after the BFBC2 beta finished.

Not tried BF1943 yet. Is it any good?

I never did try the titan mode on this!

Awww man - you're missing out! Especially on the servers that allowed moving titans. Get one of the larger maps and it was FPS brilliance on an epic scale. The number of objectives to do in order, combined with the mix of infantry, ground vehicles and air vehicles and the fluid defence/offence play - made straight forward DM or TDM game modes in FPSs, seem boring in comparison.

I spent hourrrrrs on this game. I was #2 in the UK with the Walker at one point, must have been back in 2007 though. I remember I had a month off work ill with bronchitis and spent the time getting all of my gold badges so that I could be the 5* General for a week, but I didn't get it :(

I haven't played it since, but I'm up for a game. I was lethal with the Baur towards the end - 2 shots and you're down. Voss was such a noobs gun :)

No. 2 in the UK? That's good going! Walker's used to be one of my main targets as I spent the most amount of time as an engineer with the Pilum rifle and piloting a tank. Going after other tanks was high on my priorities too.

The hover tanks took a little while to get used to, but after a while, I preferred them - especially on the retreat where you could strafe, reverse and look in an alternate direction, all at once. Just brilliant.

BF2142 to me was a highlight in FPS games - nothing I've played before or since is on level par with it. BF1942 and BF2 were good games in their own right, but BF2142 I thought, evolved to a point where is just worked so well overall.

To this day, it's by far the most time I've spent online with a game and I would just love the idea if the development team made a true follow-up to it. :)

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Posting non-native screen caps is ultimate fail :(

Being respectful of the size of images uploaded onto the forum, isn't fail however. ;)

Look how much the weapon in my earlier pics on this thread, takes up in the lower-right corner compared to the 1920 res ones. FPSs are just brilliant at this resolution. I swear I'm more accurate as well - but it could be all in the mnd.

D.

Yeah 1920x1200 shooters are f**king awesome. Immense detail as you peer into the scene. Throw in plenty of AA and it's even better.

JB

RB 182 Cup
This game is cack, sorry but BF2 for me over this.
Hah true true! BF2 was amazing when it first came out, never bothered with BF 2142 as I didn't like the futuristic approach (though the mothership idea looked cool) and I'd grown bored of games by the time it was released :(

Might re-visit BF2 sometime although I seem to remember it never ran at the correct resolution for my 22" monitor.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hah true true! BF2 was amazing when it first came out, never bothered with BF 2142 as I didn't like the futuristic approach (though the mothership idea looked cool) and I'd grown bored of games by the time it was released :(

Might re-visit BF2 sometime although I seem to remember it never ran at the correct resolution for my 22" monitor.

I haven't tried BF2 for quite a while, tbh - though that resolution tweak above works fine on BF2142 on a 26" screen.

I think with the latest BF2 v1.50 patch (which incudes both Euro Force and Armoured Fury expansions for free) - that they may have sorted the resolution issue out on that as well?

http://www.gamershell.com/download_50494.shtml

D.