ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC vs Consoles Official Thread

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Rather than clog up every single FPS thread, how about a nice cup of shut the f*ck up, where we can discuss the merits of each system in a dedicated thread. So, pretty much not shutting the f*ck up, actually. Still...

I'll say once again that I have not experienced mouse and keyboard combination gaming, so cannot give an opinion on it. It sounds like it couldn't work, but it obviously does, as it's all the PC brigade seem to talk about - along with which version of DirectX needs installed to play Horace Goes For a W*nk II (I believe it's DirectX7?).

I'd much rather play with a pad for games. I can't even imagine how a mouse would work for games like Fifa and Batman? Unless it's purely shooters that take on these peripherals? Say on Battlefield or Modern Warfare, is it basically point the mouse at the enemy and press a button to shoot? I can see how that could become very user friendly, in fairness, but would have to experience it first to realise it's potential.

Nevertheless, console and pad for me. If I had the money to spend on a PC gaming rig, I'd probably still use a pad. All the buttons and butt plugs are at my very disposal. Is nice.

:cool:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I can't see how it's possible to enjoy gaming more using a mouse and some keys than a controller.

They both have their merits though but for gaming (except FM, and PC oriented games) Console wins.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I can't see how it's possible to enjoy gaming more using a mouse and some keys than a controller.

They both have their merits though but for gaming (except FM, and PC oriented games) Console wins.

I really need to test it out, because people swear by it :

"What the f*ck am I doing using a mouse and keyboard?!"

etc.

K&M for shooters only. Wheel for racers. x360 pad for everything else.

On the subject in general - it's a known fact that most console monkeys prefer their machines because they're cheap, and easy to use. Therefore console gamers are poor and stupid. Fact.

IMO.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
K&M for shooters only. Wheel for racers. x360 pad for everything else.

On the subject in general - it's a known fact that most console monkeys prefer their machines because they're cheap, and easy to use. Therefore console gamers are poor and stupid. Fact.

IMO.

Ahh, so a pad for every other game other than shooters or racers. That makes sense. Kinda.

Your fact is also very accurate. As facts usually are.

:dapprove:

Edition 30
PC is better for RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 and RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 only.

Consoles are for kids and slobs.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
PC is better for RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 and RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 only.

Consoles are for kids and slobs.

I can't quite work out which side of the fence you're sitting on with that comment. PC is only good for 2 games, but the consoles are for slobs and kids. Hmm.

Edition 30
Although Roy has a point about shooters.

I would take many shooters on PC over console.

Scutch, like gally said PC oriented games for PC, majority of others for console.

And it isn't two games, I only said one ;)

Keyboard and mouse for FPS games absolutely destroys any consoles pad.

As for games like PES and Fifa its pretty easy on a PC. WASD for movement, JIKL for the action buttons.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Although Roy has a point about shooters.

I would take many shooters on PC over console.

Scutch, like gally said PC oriented games for PC, majority of others for console.

And it isn't two games, I only said one ;)

LOL. So you did.

Ahh, so a pad for every other game other than shooters or racers.

Pretty much. For me at least. It's far more accurate, and way more instinctive to shoot what you see, and with the mouse you instinctively point where you look. It feel seamless, and not like you're holding a mouse. Then there's the speed and reactiveness. I don't know about you, but it doesn't take me 4 seconds to spin around on the spot when I hear something behind me. Gun in hand or otherwise. Console shooters, in comparison, feel like you're on a turntable covered with treacle. Just my opinion of course, but I have no fanboy allegiance. I own a PC as well as both main consoles. The PC only really gets used for shooters and driving sims. Although I did play a Tomb Raider game on it recently and used my x360 pad for that.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Pretty much. For me at least. It's far more accurate, and way more instinctive to shoot what you see, and with the mouse you instinctively point where you look. It feel seamless, and not like you're holding a mouse. Then there's the speed and reactiveness. I don't know about you, but it doesn't take me 4 seconds to spin around on the spot when I hear something behind me. Gun in hand or otherwise. Console shooters, in comparison, feel like you're on a turntable covered with treacle. Just my opinion of course, but I have no fanboy allegiance. I own a PC as well as both main consoles. The PC only really gets used for shooters and driving sims. Although I did play a Tomb Raider game on it recently and used my x360 pad for that.

Decent point about spinning around with a controller, but because it's all I'm used to, I have nothing to compare it against, so that's the norm for me - much like the treacle comment. Like I said, I'm sure my eyes would be opened if I had a blast with mouse and keyboard. I think the keyboard is the off-putting thing for me, if anything. I always hated playing games by pressing keys. I'd even prefer to snap joysticks playing Daley Thompson's Decathalon than use a combination of Z and M to run. The mouse I could probably get used to.

F82 M4
There is NO single FPS game in the world that you could beat me at if you were using a pad and I was using a keyboard and mouse. It's just far more precist. Playing Half Life 2 for example, if there's a tricky bit that involves me needing to "flick" the mouse to hit multiple targets, I would find it very difficult using a pad. Imagine trying to navigate the internet using a pad all the time? It's kinda like that. (Imagine having to click the [X] button in the browser quickly, you would be much faster using a mouse than a pad. Now imagine the [X] is someone's head you're aiming at. You see?)

The only problem is, people who have been used to using consoles for FPS's may struggle to grasp the concept of using a keyboard and mouse. I started playing FPS's on the PC when I was about 10 so I've had a lot of experience now. Don't get me wrong, I'm still good at FPS's using a pad, I'm just 10 times better using a keyboard and mouse.

(Also for RPS's like Command and Conquere. It would be a nightmare playing Red Alert 2 using a pad!!)

Last edited:
  UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
There is NO single FPS game in the world that you could beat me at if you were using a pad and I was using a keyboard and mouse. It's just far more precist. Playing Half Life 2 for example, if there's a tricky bit that involves me needing to "flick" the mouse to hit multiple targets, I would find it very difficult using a pad. Imagine trying to navigate the internet using a pad all the time? It's kinda like that. (Imagine having to click the [X] button in the browser quickly, you would be much quicker using a mouse than a pad. Now imagine the [X] is someone head you're aiming at. You see?)

The only problem is, people who have been used to using consoles for FPS's may struggle to grasp the concept of using a keyboard and mouse. I started playing FPS's on the PC when I was about 10 so I've had a lot of experience now. Don't get me wrong, I'm still good at FPS's using a pad, I'm just 10 times better using a keyboard and mouse.

(Also for RPS's like Command and Conquere. It would be a nightmare playing Red Alert 2 using a pad!!)

Agreed. Games like that need a mouse.

I have an Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and a PC.

For pick up and play purposes the consols are good fun, but i have never stayed and played a consol game for hours on end. Well, maybe CoD but thats because my friends played it on the PS3.

However, for FPS games - it has to be played on a PC. A mouse lets you have far superior control over where you aim. A pad is impossible to aim as well on, hence slight auto aims.

Take a look at these videos, shows just how much precision a mouse lets you have.

watch

Just shows how competitive PC gaming is and what still goes on, with rather big prize money still.

Then theres the better quality issue. Xbox360s hardware is 6 years old, it's equivilent is like an nVidia 7600 card which is worth 50p.

NOM.

joo1.jpg

So, pick up and play - have a laugh etc... consols.

From a proper FPS gaming session, PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent point about spinning around with a controller, but because it's all I'm used to, I have nothing to compare it against, so that's the norm for me - much like the treacle comment. Like I said, I'm sure my eyes would be opened if I had a blast with mouse and keyboard. I think the keyboard is the off-putting thing for me, if anything. I always hated playing games by pressing keys. I'd even prefer to snap joysticks playing Daley Thompson's Decathalon than use a combination of Z and M to run. The mouse I could probably get used to.

The main controls are usually WASD and shift to jump. It soon becomes second nature. FYI, back in the days of the original Halo on xbox, some online gimps were telling me how much better K&M is over a pad for shooters. I pretty much refused to believe what I was being told, until I started playing Medal of Honour with K&M and quickly realised it's the way forward. It's simply, faster, more accurate, and more intuitive. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be the pointing device of choice for computers. Neither control method is like holding a gun so that's moot IMO.

F82 M4
If you're in the area Scutch I'll stick the kettle on and let you have a bash on the gaming PC, then you'll understand! :cool:

Easy way to look at it is, you know when your browsing on the Play Station - you move the pointer really slowly trying to click that button... and you go too much to the right, then to the left again, and you can't go diagonally etc. Then your browse on the PC and you move the mouse to where you want it to go, simple as that. It's the same with aiming - you point and shoot. Or spray and pray as Krispy use to be like in the CS days ;)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
But it all seems really easy and pretty accurate using the analogue sticks on the 360, certainly for Bad Company 2. I can understand from an outsider looking in that it should work at all and be really slow and clumpy, but it's damn good, considering.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Ahh yes, Roy, but that's where the graphics card comes into play. Your average jobbie won't be able to render that well, then you need a decent processor to keep it all running smoothly, add more RAM for the sake of it, buy a bigger harddrive to cope with the graphic content install etc. etc.

Does look nice, though, definitely. Fantastic detail.

Shift to jump? Pffft mwheeldown for jump :p Shift is there for walking :D

Either it was the effects used in the video or because I haven't played in 6 months but the newer top level of CS players seem to use a fairly high sensitivity level compared to what the older guys used. Also console chaps that game is Counter-Strike and, although the graphics are from the middle ages, could piss all over any CoD release with ease when it comes to gameplay and addictiveness.

I have BC2 for the PS3, and the aiming i find is just too slow and clumpy!

Which is why BC2 for the PC should be turning up on my door step tomorrow, ready for BF3 when that drops later this year.

Going to have to treat myself to a few upgrades as well, had this PC a while now and i fancy a new Sandybridge system!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What about movement using a keyboard?

Are you just running or stationary? How do you get the analog effect of just nudging a joystick very slightly forwards to crawl/walk silently instead of running?

But it all seems really easy and pretty accurate using the analogue sticks on the 360, certainly for Bad Company 2. I can understand from an outsider looking in that it should work at all and be really slow and clumpy, but it's damn good, considering.

Yeah fair enough. Whatever floats one's boat. I've used both extensively and massively prefer a mouse. I was converted to K&M from butt plugs, so it's not like I haven't tried them enough.

CS is by far one of the best FPS games ever!

Shift for crouch Kris! Thats where you been going wrong all these years :D

What about movement using a keyboard?

Are you just running or stationary? How do you get the analog effect of just nudging a joystick very slightly forwards to crawl/walk silently instead of running?

Yeah that is a downside. You're walking or standing still. Or running with the run key. Pads are better for creeping. But creeping is for homos. Pads are also better for constant circle strafing, but you only need to do that if you're not good enough to kill everything on site.

F82 M4

Either it was the effects used in the video or because I haven't played in 6 months but the newer top level of CS players seem to use a fairly high sensitivity level compared to what the older guys used. Also console chaps that game is Counter-Strike and, although the graphics are from the middle ages, could piss all over any CoD release with ease when it comes to gameplay and addictiveness.

100% agreed. + 1 for Shift = Walk as well :cool:

I use the "mousewheel button" for Jump, easier to bunnyhop etc! I've also noticed all the new CS players using a high sensitivity. I use 1.3 :cool:

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Yeah fair enough. Whatever floats one's boat. I've used both extensively and massively prefer a mouse. I was converted to K&M from butt plugs, so it's not like I haven't tried them enough.

Out of interest, how much is your gaming rig worth? Sorry, ditch that. How much did it cost you?

Evo 5 RS
PC: FPS, RTS, RPG, General simulation tripe

Console > Racing, sport sims, platform, 3rd person adventure s**te

Everything else is somewhere in between.

Most people who are heavily into Xbox live don't own a gaming pooter
jwynf7j71qfnioxnnqqknhn.png

After being a hardcore CS:source clan player, to a console player putting in lots of hours (I try to play for fun but still hate losing).

I have to say it's down to choice.

I hated having to constantly update my PC, buy new bits and upgrade others. It just got on my tits! Console gaming makes it much easier.
But the mouse v controller argument, mouse wins everytime.

The precision a mouse can move at compared to a controller is unreal, hence why console games have that gay assed sticky aim, does my nut in!
You don't need that on a PC, as if you flick your mouse never mind doing a 360, you've probably just done a 720. It's so easy to home in on someone with a mouse as you are completely in control of it's movement the whole time. There's no flick back off the sticks like a controller.

Easiest way to judge is watch a MLG match or the like, same game, watch a console match, then watch a PC match. You will see for yourself.

Out of interest, how much is your gaming rig worth? Sorry, ditch that. How much did it cost you?

Difficult to say, as it's evolved over many years. Much like Triggers' broom. The stuff that's currently in it, had I bought everything together at the time, would probably have been maybe £3k. Of course it's pretty out of date now, but thanks to you console monkeys dragging PC games down to the lowest common denominator (i.e. you) it still plays everything maxed out. I was looking at a major rebuild for Crysis 2 but it appears there's no need. I will rebuild it though. Probably later this year.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
I understand that PC's can outdo a console game in terms of graphics etc but using a mouse and keyboard sucks so much dick its insane.

I used to play a few FPS on PC (although not a great one) but i still got to see how it works and i just dont like it.

The fact i thought CS was s**t too played a part.

But its Controller vs Mouse & Keyboard for me rather than Console vs PC.

Controller > Keyboard & Mouse all day, erry day and therefor Console > PC

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Isn't that another perk of using PC though? Being able to customise it to what you want? I usually use Shift for sprinting tbh. :)

D.

F82 M4
I'll have a bash on deathmatch when I get home and upload a video. You'll see a massive difference in the speed PC gamers play at.