ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Upgrade Recommendations (£1000 budget)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
what's the point in the two PCI-E slots then? With my budget, based on that system, I've got £181.98 left for improvements.

Better than yours. C*nt.
what's the point in the two PCI-E slots then? With my budget, based on that system, I've got £181.98 left for improvements.

You can use ATI's Crossfire.

I'm fucked if I know their strategy behind this, as ATI are now AMD anyway so they're only helping their competition, but hey!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-000-EA&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=205

That mobo I used to have wet dreams about, they're ace and even better now I've got one!

And get some memory to match your Processor's FSB, they've got this on offer there at the moment:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-082-OC&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=817

You'll enjoy all of that...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The motherboard isn't SLI compatible AFAIK. I don't think Intel have an SLI-capable chipset as yet? Tbh, if you can push your budget a little more look for an nForce680 based board, I prefer them!

You sure can - they've even had nForce 4 mobos in Intel & SLi combo for quite sometime. More often than not, nVidia make both an AMD and Intel spec of the same chipset - such as the 590 and the 570. Clearly, the 680i is an Intel-only option at the moment though.

Just make sure (because I'm lazy and can't arsed to check!) that the Gigabyte mobo offers true x16 on both PCI-E interfaces - effectively giving you x32 in SLi combo. Some of the older gen SLi mobos only offered one x16 and one x8 PCI-E slot.

As for your SLi question, you never get true double-performance with two cards in. A good 60-75% increase can be achieved normally - perhaps more when the game is optimised for it (like Call of Duty 2).

D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i think this is the same board (cheaper) :

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=491417

but the memory speeds are 1200 / 800 / 667 / 533 not 1066?

I think I may just go with the single gfx card then, but upgrade to a mobo that can support 1066 memory and get 2gb in 1066 instead. I want a QUICK machine for Windows and one that can play games WELL, but it doesn't need to be EXTREME on the graphics.

T

thecremeegg

Change your graphics card. For the money you've got available, definately get a 8800GTX 768Mb, or at the very least an 8800GTS 640Mb....the one you've chosen isnt as futureproof as these two, and of course a fair bit slower. With the rig your building, no point having an unnecessary slow gfx card

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
i think this is the same board (cheaper) :

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=491417

but the memory speeds are 1200 / 800 / 667 / 533 not 1066?

I think I may just go with the single gfx card then, but upgrade to a mobo that can support 1066 memory and get 2gb in 1066 instead.

That's the best way to go, m8.

Buy a great card now and then track it's price over the next 6 months. Then nab another one when it's probably half price! ;)

D.

Last edited:
Reading TomsHardware, did some tests on an two SLI card v one card at the same price of the two SLI cards. Tests came up that the SLI was a better for some and worse on others. Hit and miss i suppose.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Reading TomsHardware, did some tests on an two SLI card v one card at the same price of the two SLI cards. Tests came up that the SLI was a better for some and worse on others. Hit and miss i suppose.

I'd definitely agree with that - swings and roundabouts!

SLi is the danglies when used properly though. The other benefit of the 8800 cards (compared to my 7900GTX's) - is the support for DX10 as well.

D.

SLK 350
Personally I think SLI and Crossfire are a complete waste of money, by the time they become common place with worthwhile performance benefits the game will have moved onto the next gimmick. Theres no software out there that will push a good rig to unplayable quality.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I think SLI and Crossfire are a complete waste of money, by the time they become common place with worthwhile performance benefits the game will have moved onto the next gimmick. Theres no software out there that will push a good rig to unplayable quality.

Not to 'unplayable' quality as such - but certainly with enough wallop to make you realise that the hardware is working overtime to run it all smoothly.

Oblivion maxed-out, outdoors and in the rain is a big resource hog - as it Supreme Commander, to name but two.

D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
ok chaps, thanks for the advice. I'm currently looking at (for the base system):

CPU.gif

MB.gif

PSU.gif

RAM.gif

HDD.gif

which comes out at £722.03

with:

VIDEO.gif

at £1013.29

or with:

VIDEO2.gif

at £1093.19

or with:

VIDEO3.gif

at £1121.52

so it depends on money at the end of the month.

Last edited:
  Better than yours. C*nt.
The motherboard isn't SLI compatible AFAIK. I don't think Intel have an SLI-capable chipset as yet? Tbh, if you can push your budget a little more look for an nForce680 based board, I prefer them!

You sure can - they've even had nForce 4 mobos in Intel & SLi combo for quite sometime. More often than not, nVidia make both an AMD and Intel spec of the same chipset - such as the 590 and the 570. Clearly, the 680i is an Intel-only option at the moment though.

Just make sure (because I'm lazy and can't arsed to check!) that the Gigabyte mobo offers true x16 on both PCI-E interfaces - effectively giving you x32 in SLi combo. Some of the older gen SLi mobos only offered one x16 and one x8 PCI-E slot.

As for your SLi question, you never get true double-performance with two cards in. A good 60-75% increase can be achieved normally - perhaps more when the game is optimised for it (like Call of Duty 2).

D.

If you read my post I'm talking about Intel chipsets, which is listed on the motherboard he's chosen at the moment (a 965, to be specific). The chipsets you mention are all nVidia.

If you're going to correct, at least be correct:rasp:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
you may need to refresh the screen as I've re-used some of the image names on photobucket, the motherboard is now the EVGA one and the memory is 1066.

Its probably not worth going for the EVGA board thinking about it now though, if I'm not going to do SLI, then I may as well get a different board that supports 1066MHz memory, they seem thin on the ground though, the only other one I can find is an Abit, but its costs almost £220.

Last edited:
  Better than yours. C*nt.
you may need to refresh the screen as I've re-used some of the image names on photobucket, the motherboard is now the EVGA one and the memory is 1066.

Its probably not worth going for the EVGA board thinking about it now though, if I'm not going to do SLI, then I may as well get a different board that supports 1066MHz memory, they seem thin on the ground though, the only other one I can find is an Abit, but its costs almost £220.

The EVGA one is top in loads of areas, including dual gigglebit LAN and high USB transfer rates compared to the Intels.

And I'd go for the OCZ memory I recommended - it's significantly cheaper and I hear nothing but good things about it - had a fairly high failure rate with Corsair stuff recently.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
ok cheers Mike, I'd like to save a bit of money where I can, its a bit more than I want to spend at the moment.

EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3
ok chaps, thanks for the advice. I'm currently looking at (for the base system):

CPU.gif

MB.gif

PSU.gif

RAM.gif

HDD.gif

which comes out at £722.03

with:

VIDEO.gif

at £1013.29

or with:

VIDEO2.gif

at £1093.19

or with:

VIDEO3.gif

at £1121.52

so it depends on money at the end of the month.

I think you need a 600w PSU at least to run those new 8800 graphics cards.

EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3
They are massive aswell so you should make sure they will fit in your case, I had to struggle to make mine fit.

Leon Cupra
the GTS will be fine with that PSU if your going for the GTX go for the 620corsair. and as the guy above said make sure it fits. my GTS only just fit in my coolermaster case

D

dick

£1000 for a pc>?!

madness
get laptops for like £500 from pc world

so probly less for pcs

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
ah ok, well my case will take 275mm, but thats the absolute max, so I need to try and find the length of the GTX somehow. What do you think of the GTS anyway James? Which do you have? BFG? XFX?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

D.

If you read my post I'm talking about Intel chipsets, which is listed on the motherboard he's chosen at the moment (a 965, to be specific). The chipsets you mention are all nVidia.

If you're going to correct, at least be correct:rasp:

Ah, I see what you mean.

Ok smarty-pants, if you want to nitt-pick, SLi is actually a proprietary nVidia trade-mark - so even if Intel made an 'SLi capable motherboard', they would still have to licence the technology from nVidia. That, or come up with an architecture all of their own. :rasp:

nVidia started to lock-out other manufacturer's chipsets years ago to make sure that only their drivers worked efficiently with their chipsets. Obviously there are hacks out there to get around it, but isn't that the same for most things?

D.

no worries mate, im gonna be upgrading soon too. This thread just pointed me down the Intel route, was gonna get an AMD but bang for buck the intels are just plain better. and the 2mb cache ones are really overclockable.

Heres what im looking at currently:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.86ghz Socket 775 FSB800 2MB cache Retail Boxed Processor

Asus P5N-E SLI NF650i SLi, S 775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

2GB (2x1GB) CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-12

400 Gb Seagate ST3400633AS Barracuda 7200.9, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.2 ms, NCQ

320MB BFG Technology 8800GTS Overclocked, PCI-E, Mem 1600MHz, GPU 550MHz, 96 Streams, 2x DVI/HDTV

Pioneer DVR-111DSV Silver 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer DVD Writer (Reduced Length) OEM

Comes just under £600. shame i dont have your budget :(

Also that doesnt include a case and it doesnt include vista.

And the processor i would probs change to the E6300 or E6400, not sure i can afford the E6600 without compromising somewhere else, plus i would need the 680i mobo which is another £50 on top. Would mean a lower spec graphics card. ooo decisions....

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
You might want to wait for the new ATi R600's to come out, they seem to be benching way higher than the nVidia 8800GTX and they still only test versions.