ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC usa - uk transformer

hi guys and girls, just a quick question.

recieved my PC from the USA in time for xmas :D:D but have been a bit slow off the mark in getting the transformer. . . been in to maplins and looked around. . . .

was just wondering if it HAS to be a 750va unit or whether i can use a 300va transformer and not have to cut off the plug (as the one i have looked at already has the 2pin american plug socket)??

is there any reason why i have to cut off the plug and attach another one and use this transformer shown in the guide;

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.as...-Meynell-7501-Single-Outlet-Transformer-750va

cheers for any help people

jamie

106 GTi
The PC is a 110V US machine - UK mains is 240V the important bitthe transformer needs to step down the mains voltage from 240 to 110.

I dont understand enough about electrics and know what the kva bit is all about. My old chap did explain when he got the transformer for mine.

For what it's worth mine is a 110v Transformer 1000kva what ever that means!

ah ok cheers rich, ive got the 110-240 step down transformer, just need to know if there is a need for a 750 or 1000 watt one, as i have bought a 300 watt one?

presume it will just mean that i have less power???

jamie

106 GTi
Not sure what power the PC needs to run, maybe worth seeing what it had written on it.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The va bit is the voltage / amp rating . Its to do with what appliance your running off the transformer , bigger transformers usually have a larger kva rating and more often than not 2 output plugs for running more than one thing at once .

^^^ so does that mean that it will work what ever the device, but will just not give it as much power MRBILLYUK?

jamie

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I wouldn't imagine the pc being that power hungry .I can't say 100% for sure but thats my guess anyway . Plug it and try it , best way to find out .

haha thats what i want to do, but i dont want it to blow up since it is quite a pricey piece of kit (for a student anyways!!!). you sure that it will either just not run, or just run very slowly?? and not blow up :S (the transformer as well??)

jamie

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It won't blow up if it has less power .I would imagine it'll run just as good as a higher rated transformer .

Skoda
The Kva here is only relevant to the demand factor i.e. the load that the device you are powering will draw on the circuit... It should tell you on the back of the computer or in the documentation.... it will be in Kva or amps...
Either way it shouldn't do any damage to anything as the amps is what the device is trying to draw so if its not available it can't draw it..

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Most people end up getting a 1KVA (1000vA) transformer with two power sockets.

about £50.

A search might help you find the answer you're looking for as to the duty of your 300vA one.

Skoda
Your converter should have a watts rating of about 50% higher than the device you are powering
To find watts if thats not on the computer..multiply the imput volts by the amp rating and this will give you the watts i.e.Volts x Amps = Watts or 110V x 1.5 A = 165W.... clear:S

Skoda
If your monitor is 110v then you will need a rating 3 times the watts because of the power surge on switch on

okkkkk.. . . . . . so my piece of kit says 3.7 amps, and needs 110 volts, so i would require something in the region of 407 . . . correct? god i hated physics GCSE lol :)

cheers for this guys, very much appreciated!

jamie

btw its a PC polisher not a personal computer, sorry if that was misleading in the title :)

jamie

just re read it and it is confusing, sorry for that, i mean a porter cable polisher for a car.

Polo + Micra
you'll melt the tranny if you pull to much current through it

get a 750va to be safe as i imaginge the the pc won't have a very good power factor as it is a fairly loaded up motor

ah ok, the only reason im having a prob is that its new year etc and there is no delivery. so i need a shop to buy from and maplins only go up to 300. might have to find myself a proper electrics stockists or something of the sort.

many thanks for all the help guys, really appreciated

happy new year to all

jamie

Skoda
okkkkk.. . . . . . so my piece of kit says 3.7 amps, and needs 110 volts, so i would require something in the region of 407 . . . correct? god i hated physics GCSE lol :)

cheers for this guys, very much appreciated!

jamie

Correct..... so your converter would probably not work very well if at all... It won't melt.... lol...... Your PC cannot draw extra load if its not there and your converter will only ever give out its maximum rating... Thats why they have ratings... I wouldn't use it though!!

Polo + Micra
all thats in side these converters are just transformers

the smaller they are, the less they like being over loaded so will prolly have small output fuse that you will keep operating

get a building site tranny and you'll be fine as they can take some s**t trust me i know lol

106 GTi
ah ok, the only reason im having a prob is that its new year etc and there is no delivery. so i need a shop to buy from and maplins only go up to 300. might have to find myself a proper electrics stockists or something of the sort.

many thanks for all the help guys, really appreciated

happy new year to all

jamie

See if you have a local screwfix or builders merchants near you as a good bet.

Im having the same problem - B&Q sell them but I dont want to pay £55!! One of my mates owns a power tool shop but hes closed til tuesday so cant work out a price for me - Ill ask him about a bulk buy

b and q was 1st stop for me and the guy said that he didnt have anything like that in!! lying bugger, wouldnt mind paying 55 if i have to!!

jamie

very helpful rich, thanks, didnt know they had units as well! trafford park is a quick bolt up the motorway for me, thanks.

jamie

106 GTi
They should sell them, or did. I was going to get mine from there until my Dad said he could get me one.