ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Porter Cable Polisher Importing Guide

Blue I may give 1 a go to see what they are like.

Pm me with the price please mate and give me a shout on prices from autopia for the price of 2 each of the sfx spot pads (6 in total yup).

Cheers :D

106 GTi

I dont even plan to try them. Everything I have used via PC so far has gone on so thin and wiped off so easily Ill stick to the normal MFs

106 GTi

Finally used the PC on the Clio today, unless you guys have really bad swirls I doubt you ned to go at the paint with the DCAP or a cuttng pad. My black gold came up really well with 2 passes of Speed Glaze on a polishing pad, and then Super resin on a polishing pad.

Clio 182, Yamaha R6 2006

I just have one word:

PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry many words... lol.

How you doing mate?? did you get on ok with the pc??

I picked up my 182 on monday, absolutly love it...

106 GTi

Hi Matt, Doing good, you? Glad your enjoying it....How many miles?

As for Pics Im no sure It looks any different to how it did before, just the micro marring is gone. I havent done the tailgate or roof yet or the lower half as I ran out of time and wanted to go for a blast as the weather was so nice.

Clearkote Red Machine Glaze is a really good product to use by PC.

PC is really easy to use, you soon find yourself wieding it one handed spreading wax like its as natural as doing it the old way! I havent used any harsh polishes as yet apart from at the autopia PC day. Yellow or Orange Sonus pads seem to shift the swirls I have come across using Speed Glaze so far. I have had my PC a few weeks now, but this is the first chance I have had to use it on the Clio.

Clio 182, Yamaha R6 2006

Hi mate, Yeah im good cheers as i said before loving the car and its a week old today and ive managed 260miles...

How did you run your car in?? cause when i asked renault how i should do it, all they said was drive it carefully for a couple of days and then do what i want..... ummm wasnt to sure about that!!!

im doing ok with the pc but need loads of improvement. I thought it was all going well on my old clio, i started with ssr2.5 and a orange sonus pad speed 5.5 - 6 but when i went to the ssr1 and sonus green pad speed 5.5 things just werent working well and i was finding the product difficult to remove and when i had finished it looked no better than when i had just done it with the ssr2.5. after that i did VM with a blue pad speed 5 but wasnt sure if that was to fast, i think ive got the right idea of which product with the right pads im just not to sure of what speeds i should be at... and ive yet to do proper clean on the new one but as soon as i do i will post some pics...

106 GTi

Ran mine in as the book says up to the 625 miles. I have had mine nearly 4 months and only done 1060 miles!

I havent really got aggressive polish wise yet, All the cars I have done so far have been done useing speed glaze and a cutting pad with multiple passes. The 406 I have to do next is swirl city so I think that will need some polish with some bite.

On dark colours you may need to step down with the SSRs, but 2.5 can polish down nicely ready for the wax. Work them until there is hardly anything left to remove.

VM I have been using on a finishing pad 2-4.

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Blue_182!

Got my stuff in double quick time - thanks mate very much appreciated and didnt expect it so quick.

Pity Ive not got the PC going yet :oops:

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Thinking about getting a PC, well actually trying to convince my dad that he needs to buy one so i can can pinch it lol. Thing is he keeps rattling on about buying it from the states and what if it goes wrong etc. explained to him that the equivilent product in the UK is like £50 more but he would prefer to pay more and buy it here?! help!!

Quote: Originally posted by Gary G on 19 June 2005

Thinking about getting a PC, well actually trying to convince my dad that he needs to buy one so i can can pinch it lol. Thing is he keeps rattling on about buying it from the states and what if it goes wrong etc. explained to him that the equivilent product in the UK is like £50 more but he would prefer to pay more and buy it here?! help!!
you can help some people :p, there seriously is no problem with importing, it can only take 3 days and your parcel is fully insured, and you get parcel tracking too, also you wont have to pay import duty

106 GTi

Out off all the people on various forums that I have know to buy one, only one person has had a faulty one. Autopia sent him out a new one straight away no questions asked. He didnt even send the old one back.

I wonder why I put off buying one so long now. I am able to sort peoples paint now in an afternoon which previously would have taken days and still not achieved the same results.

Is it worth getting the Sonus SFX Polishing system instead of the Megs stuff (#80 & #83), as its only $6.97 a bottle when purchased with the PC?

Im unsure if I need the DACP type polish as its mostly spiderweb marks I need to get out (both cars are black) but I do have a few scratches that I cant get out by hand.

Already got some VM & EX-P to use with it, would then top it off with Pinnacle Sig series.

Thanks

106 GTi

I havent tried any off the SFX polishes - they are on sale due to being re-formulated.

My Black 182 came out fine after #80, i would try that or Poorboys SSR2 before going up to 83 IMO. I doubt you need to get that agressive,

80, VM, EX looks good so I the same combo but with EX-p should look good.

Right ok I may need some guidance here. I used my PC for the first time at the weekend and admit to being a little disappointed by the overall result. While the level of shine was impressive, I was trying to rids the paintwork of some acid etching and some mild scratching on the bonnet.

I ended up using the orange pad (cutting) with Megs 83# because nothing else seemed to work - and even then it didnt seem to have any affect.

I was reluctant to try it at speed 6 but got as far as 5.

What am I doing wrong or is that the way it is?

Cheers.

106 GTi

Have you got any pics so we can better advise?

Dont be afraid to use 6, its a real step up in speed from 5 and it is needed in swirl removal and to break down #83. How long did you work the #83 for?

yeh like rjay says pics please, do remember that the pc is a safe machine, so will need to be worked for deep marks, i would go back over with the #83 till you achieve the result you want, also apply a little pressure, for extra cut you could try 4" pads with #83 on, or change to some sonus sfx1 which is quite aggresive

106 GTi

Good thinking Shaun, I had great sucess on removing some marks from my mates T5R with a 4 inch SFX Cutting pad on isolated areas.

Going to have my PC Polisher and all accessories for sale soon, Mate wants to use it on his car then im selling it. Would have only been used 4 times i think, total cost was just under £300. Ill post it in the for sale section tho. Might save some of you the trouble of importing it, Im in essex or will post it.

106 GTi

How come your selling? I have been doing friends/family cars left, right and center mines paid for its self already.

I tried the 4" pads with 83# but didnt apply any pressure - just the weight of the machine itself. I guess Im just a little wary of scratching or harming the surface of the car.

I went at it for around 10 minutes - should I be trying a little longer? Any particular technique to be used?

106 GTi

You need to put some pressure on, I push down till the machine starts to bog, release the pressure a little for swirl removal. This is the only way anything other than very light marks will come out.

Quote: Originally posted by r-jay on 18 July 2005

How come your selling? I have been doing friends/family cars left, right and center mines paid for its self already.
I cant be bothered, its a good way to make money but iv only polished my car with it and i just cant be bothered polishing other peoples cars, im to lazy! and need some extra cash.

r-jay thats a fantastic guide. Ill use some of the tips in there to try again.

My main problem as mentioned above I think is that I wasnt going over the area long enough and with enough pressure.

Ill try with 80# first again and then onto 83# if neccesary.

I did however find the pleasure of mopping up the spray pleasurable :( My first attempt with 80# went all over the place - walls, cupboards - the lot lol!

106 GTi

Hope it helps.

If you use to much product it then means you have to work it for a lot longer its a fine balance that gets better with trial and error. Yeah you need to use pressure when trying to remove defects. I havent needed anything more than #80 on my Clio, but it has hardly cut it on friends and familys cars.

LOL likewise!

Cheechy whilst all the above advice is great IIRC AUDI clearcoat is one of the toughest paints out there and whilst with careful use you should be able to improve it with the pc I fear that a rotary poisher may be your only answer for serious defects.

That siad IIRC again there are some specific polishes around just for audii clearcoats as they are hard, I will investigate and come back to you!

Thanks R-Jay I thought it was mezerna!

To put your mind at rest cheechy you will stryggle more to remove the swirls than burn the paint with the pc so jsut go for it!!

[Edited by brazo on 18 July 2005 at 12:12pm]

ps swap the links around!

ahh, sorry, didnt realise it was vag paint, my paint is quite hard to, compared to the 182 anyways, but thats good news too as your paint is harder to mark

How much :eek:

I had heard about the Audi / VAG paint and alas this thread has confirmed this. $50 dollars a pop for each of the polishes is quite a gamble if they dont work! Thats the same price as the PC itself.

Anyone tried this - if it does work then Ill try it but I want to make sure before Ranney gets my hard earned!

Cheers for the feedback guys - keep it coming.

The paint may be quite hard to mark with a PC but bird droppings aint a problem. If a bird so much as looks at the car it leaves acid etching on the car - thats what I want rid of. It sounds like even #83 may struggle with etching though :(

106 GTi

Have a browse over on Autopia for peoples views on it. Some people think you cant get the best out off it by PC and it needs a Rotary to perform best.

I am going to grab the Merzerna IP and FPII instead and try them first. I cant justify the high cost for a product that I will be using on other peoples cars.

Also try the Poorboys SSR2.5, people seem to get on better with this than the #83, as it seems to break down easier.

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by cheechy on 18 July 2005
The paint may be quite hard to mark with a PC but bird droppings aint a problem. If a bird so much as looks at the car it leaves acid etching on the car - thats what I want rid of. It sounds like even #83 may struggle with etching though :(

Even on the Megs forum people are advising the best way to deal with the etching is by hand and Scratch X as it allows you to concentrate on the area easier. I would use the 4 inch pad with some presssure, and move the PC really slow on the eched spot. 182 Blue had some good results with Scratch X by PC, could always see how that goes?