ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC vs Consoles Official Thread

1.8 Civic EX
The biggest factor for me, besides the controls, is not the graphics per se. It's the immersion you get from peering into a very highly detailed scene on a monitor that fills your field of vision. You simply don't get that on the sofa, no matter how big your TV is. Shooters are first person. In other words played from your point of view. You need to be immersed in the world you're playing in, not sat on the sofa, detached from what's going on. Even a hundred inch screen at a normal distance from a sofa would not fill your filed of view like a proper monitor, and even if it did, you'd be peering into muddy 720p graphics, with screen tears and very little or no anti-aliasing.

Yes. One pays the price for the benefits that a proper PC setup offers (and yes there are also negatives) but then we all spend our money on what we like.

That's possibly the most sensible sentance I've ever seen you post on here....:)

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
The biggest factor for me, besides the controls, is not the graphics per se. It's the immersion you get from peering into a very highly detailed scene on a monitor that fills your field of vision. You simply don't get that on the sofa, no matter how big your TV is. Shooters are first person. In other words played from your point of view. You need to be immersed in the world you're playing in, not sat on the sofa, detached from what's going on. Even a hundred inch screen at a normal distance from a sofa would not fill your filed of view like a proper monitor, and even if it did, you'd be peering into muddy 720p graphics, with screen tears and very little or no anti-aliasing.

Yes. One pays the price for the benefits that a proper PC setup offers (and yes there are also negatives) but then we all spend our money on what we like.

Indeed, there are too many variables to compare the 2 fairly imo. Mainly the fact that something like a controller vs a mouse & keyboard will always cause a big divide as the 2 are so different.

No matter how much better a PC might be the simple fact that you have to use a mouse & keyboard will bring it down... in my eyes and the console heeds, we're a simple folk.

What CPU you running at the moment Roy? The new Sandybridges look lovely, 2500k would be me nicely. Also wouldn't mind an ATI HD 6950 (flashed to 6970) - then have 2 in crossfire when BF3 comes out just to make sure it can handle it!

I'm still rocking an old QX9650 Extreme at 3.8Ghz on an old 780i SLI platform. Like I say, it's pretty old now but still chomps through every game no problem. I am rolling 4GB of DDR2 at a mere 840Mhz (1:1). Graphics card is a GTX295.

The old girl still soldiers on :)

No matter how much better a PC might be the simple fact that you have to use a mouse & keyboard will bring it down...

You don't have to use K&M though. Most PC shooters can use a pad. In fact they nearly all work out of the box with the x360 pad.

EDIT: AFAIK, if I'm wrong then I stand corrected.

275 Trophy
FPS shooters written for consoles are coded to be slow and to include slight auto aiming. For me, speed and accuracy are the reason I want to play a FPS. PC's for FPS & proper driving sims (rFactor), consoles for everything else.

To the console fanbois, how many individual controls can you operate at once with a controller? M&K, I'm looking at at least 8 plus full 360 degree horizontal movement and 180 degree verticle movement in a split second. If you were really in that enviroment, how quick would you like your reactions to be?

If you were really in that enviroment, how quick would you like your reactions to be?

This for me is another vital factor in the immersion. When I want to look up, I want to look up, not push a stick and wait for my retarded eyes and neck to catch up. Granted, with a mouse it can sometimes be too fast, but if you tailor the sensitivity to your tastes, it's entirely convincing, and just feels natural. Like you're there...not really controlling anything at all. The whole point of a first person experience.

Evo 5 RS
Just add fcuking mouse and keyboard support to the 360, can't be that hard right? Only then everyone with a controller would get their rear peaches handed to them on a plate :D

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Just add fcuking mouse and keyboard support to the 360, can't be that hard right? Only then everyone with a controller would get their rear peaches handed to them on a plate :D

I don't want to sit 3 feet away from the screen though, so they'd have to be wireless. I also don't want a desk near my sofa in my living room, therefore I'd like the mouse and keyboard to be built into my leg. Somehow.

On another note, who plays inverted? I absolutely MUST invert Y when playing with sticks, but I absolutely must NOT invert it with a mouse.

I simply cannot use a non-inverted control method with sticks, and I simply cannot use inverted controls with a mouse.

275 Trophy
Like you're there...not really controlling anything at all. The whole point of a first person experience.

Exactly that^ The controller shouldn't get in the way in any game IMHO. An analogy would be playing rock band/guitar hero with a normal controller - possible, but stupid.

I don't want to sit 3 feet away from the screen though, so they'd have to be wireless. I also don't want a desk near my sofa in my living room, therefore I'd like the mouse and keyboard to be built into my leg. Somehow.

There is some mental control system for the PS3. Basically it's a mouse for looking, but with an analogue stick for moving. I was looking at getting one for Killzone 2 before I decided it was a s**t game and not worthy. Perhaps something similar is available for the xbox?

So, for me.

K&M = natural, not feeling like there is a control interface at all. I point the gun where I look, and shoot where I point. I move quickly & instinctively.

Sticks = wading around on treacle. I have a robotic neck with underpowered motors. I wave my thumbs around in order to hover about and sway around. Aiming becomes a conscious exercise in thumb control.

1.8 Civic EX
Exactly my point from earlier...

So, for me.

K&M = natural, not feeling like there is a control interface at all. I point the gun where I look, and shoot where I point. I move quickly & instinctively. Easy to be very good

Sticks = wading around on treacle. I have a robotic neck with underpowered motors. I wave my thumbs around in order to hover about and sway around. Aiming becomes a conscious exercise in thumb control. more "skill" required to be very good, although neigh on impossible to be as good as someone using K&M

F82 M4
On another note, who plays inverted? I absolutely MUST invert Y when playing with sticks, but I absolutely must NOT invert it with a mouse.

I simply cannot use a non-inverted control method with sticks, and I simply cannot use inverted controls with a mouse.

Exactly the same. I HAVE to invert the Y axis when playing with sticks and keep it normal with a mouse. I believe I must of picked this up with Golden Eye on the N64 as "C-down" was "look up" as default.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I find the console better for all gaming apart from things like champ man and simcity etc I think what confuses the pc gamers is that it takes 2 d pads to look around and so there not used to it so feels stupid to them but in return I think ya get a more realistic game. As for speed you can turn sensitivity up on consoles so you can turn around and shoot really quick. I quite like the rumble in the pad during games aswell.

Why did you buy an extreme chip?! Too much monies. Should of gone for q6600 and an overclock. I'll start my new build at the end of April I would imagine.

What is this continued bunkum about 'more skill'. PMSL talk about clutching at straws. A good game doesn't need controls getting in the way of the experience. Anyone who sits there hi-fiving themselves at how awesome they are at controlling their thumbs, is sadly serially missing out on the seamless immersion that shooters can offer. The controls are not meant to require skill. You're supposed to feel like you're trying to kill or be killed, not constantly battling to perfect your thumb motions. I want to feel like a very skilled soldier with lightning reactions and a natural ability to wield a weapon with deadly accuracy, not a gamer that's good with two sticks. That is the fundamental difference for me.

Evo 5 RS
Mouse & Keyboard to navigate Mac OS X = YES

Mouse & Keyboard for FPS = NO simply no.

I'm never ever ever going to agree. You're all wrong.

PC is clearly the best machine for gaming but for ease of use and price i'd always take a console, and my personal preference is for a controller. Thats purely what i base my extreme views on. I dont like change!

I say Controller you say tomato! What ev's!

1.8 Civic EX
What is this continued bunkum about 'more skill'. PMSL talk about clutching at straws. A good game doesn't need controls getting in the way of the experience. Anyone who sits there hi-fiving themselves at how awesome they are at controlling their thumbs, is sadly serially missing out on the seamless immersion that shooters can offer. The controls are not meant to require skill. You're supposed to feel like you're trying to kill or be killed, not constantly battling to perfect your thumb motions. I want to feel like a very skilled soldier with lightning reactions and a natural ability to wield a weapon with deadly accuracy, not a gamer that's good with two sticks. That is the fundamental difference for me.

my point. you missed it.

1.8 Civic EX
:butt:

Lets try and break it down....

FPS - K&M - PC Wins
Racing Sim - Wheel - Draw
3rd Person/Platformer - Pad - Console wins (although arguably a draw ;))
RPG - Pad - Console wins
RTS - K&M - PC Wins
Graphics (value for money) - Console
Graphics (Money no object) - PC

etc etc

Last edited:
  Astra SRI/ Hornet
What satisfaction do pc gamers get from a kill though? From a console point of view it takes a certain skill to be very accurate so it's my skill vs others not who has the fastest wrist. How doesnt every1 just snipe as all ya doing is clicking a mouse on a screen with a 50cal you could take a whole team out in a second. Lol unless I'm not understanding it right.

What satisfaction do pc gamers get from a kill though? From a console point of view it takes a certain skill to be very accurate so it's my skill vs others not who has the fastest wrist. How doesnt every1 just snipe as all ya doing is clicking a mouse on a screen with a 50cal you could take a whole team out in a second. Lol unless I'm not understanding it right.

Good point. One skilled soldier has often destroyed an entire army.

The skill is NOT in combating the controls. If it is, then it's a poorly designed game.

Fiesta ST
I've always been brought up on keyboards for playing games (spectrums, Amstrads, Amigas, PC) so K&M is second nature to me. I've always been a PC Gamer and spent god knows how much money over the years on keeping my PC updated, but that was part of the enjoyment as well, unwrapping a brand new graphics card and installing it.

Granted I have both consoles - but I tend to use them for casual play and only certain types of games.

You defo could never ever play a MMORPG on a pad!

DCi
When I used to play PC shooters online i used to turn the graphics down to zip for the magic 333 frame rate anyway.

i work on pc's all day now so i cant be arsed and stick to xbox when i get home... i am a traitor but i dont care!

I've always been brought up on keyboards for playing games (spectrums, Amstrads, Amigas, PC) so K&M is second nature to me. I've always been a PC Gamer and spent god knows how much money over the years on keeping my PC updated, but that was part of the enjoyment as well, unwrapping a brand new graphics card and installing it.

Granted I have both consoles - but I tend to use them for casual play and only certain types of games.

You defo could never ever play a MMORPG on a pad!

I found DC online worked very well on a pad!

F82 M4
Had a quick 2 mins on a deathmatch server last night just to show you how much more fast paced PC gaming is. You can't move like that with a pad.

[video]http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n16/wilky1107/?action=view&current=IMG_0326.mp4[/video]

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
No wonder the guys on PC have far more kills than the console guys :clown:

Point mouse at target. Shoot. Point mouse at several targets in quick succession. Shoot.

Right?

F82 M4
No wonder the guys on PC have far more kills than the console guys :clown:

Point mouse at target. Shoot. Point mouse at several targets in quick succession. Shoot.

Right?

Exactly. Hence why PC > Console for FPS's. Do you now agree?

rs 200
:butt:

Lets try and break it down....

FPS - K&M - PC Wins
Racing Sim - Wheel - Draw
3rd Person/Platformer - Pad - Console wins (although arguably a draw ;))
RPG - Pad - Console wins
RTS - K&M - PC Wins
Graphics (value for money) - Console
Graphics (Money no object) - PC

etc etc

Agreed!