ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC'ers Help Please With Products For Racing Blue

VRS
i will be dabbling in the arts of pc'ing shortly and could do with some product tips off the experts

i currently hand wash with:

megs shampoo
clay
srp
clearkote vanilla moose wax
poorboys ex-p
p21s

my paintwork is in good condition but has lots of light swirls
what should i be getting to solve this?

i have been recommended the Menzerna PO106FF Final Finish / Menzerna PO85RD3.0x Intensive Polish to use instead of the srp, how does this sound?

also which pads should i be using the above products with?

cheers

andy

A slow one :-(
I was going to get the Poorboys SSRs... apparently they are easier to use for us pc amateurs.

VRS
I was going to get the Poorboys SSRs... apparently they are easier to use for us pc amateurs.

that was the alternative i was thinking of but iver on detailing world i was pointed toward the menzerna range :(

decisions decisions

106 GTi
Poorboys SSR range is easyist to master as a beginner. It is easy to tell when they have been worked long enough etc.

The Menzerna Intensive Polish and the two Final Finishes leave a higher level of gloss and a sharper finish, but are a little harder top master, can dust, have a longer work time, the amount of product used is also crucial.

As said in PM a 4 inch spot pad set is a must for the Clio

AG SRP also works well as fiinishing polish by PC, works better than ny hand.

Racing blue can be a sod to pc as the colour highlights micromarring - ultra fine swirls induced by the pc and normally invisible on say a metallic colour.

You will need to really work the final polish to esnure its fully broken down to minimise the above something like meguiars #80 which also contains glaze can be a good final option.

I used Meg's no. 83 & 80 a couple of weeks back by PC

like wise on sfx 3 and 1 after a similar start to you with wash and clay.

then 6 AG EGP and P21s wax;

DSC02730.gif

jamie

VRS
rite seeing as i have got most of the bits i think im gonna start with:

poorboys ssr 2 and 2.5
super resin
vanilla moose wax
ex-p
p21s

:D

hopefully it will look ok

SMURF!!!
I know this is slightly off topic, as this wasn't done with a pc polisher but just to show you the results you can get from Shiny's Waterless Car Wash:

shiny1kf3.jpg

This next pic is the bonnet:

shiny2tk6.jpg

shiny3oq4.jpg

shiny4yl6.jpg

VRS
also it looks like my dad and sister will be blagging me to do the tt, 9-3 aero and tvr :(

they are all silver, would these products be ok for that:

poorboys ssr 2 and 2.5
super resin
vanilla moose wax
ex-p
p21s

or should i be getting anything else?

soon: 172 Cup
Took the plunge as well fella and bought a PC,

I used Poorboys SSR2.5 on a White, then yellow (Moved to yellow as many defects were still evident) followed by Jeffs Prime then Jeffs Acrylic Jett Trigger and it gave good results on a Ford KA!

Racing blue isnt an easy colour to see good results from PC'ing i dont think.. here was mine just after a wash and wax..
DSC00820.jpg

and this was it after the full treatment, sealant/wax/pc etc
DSC00847.gif

DSC00844.gif

VRS
i generally get good results from hand cleaning but i really need to sort out the swirls so i think pc'ing is the best option for me

also i get to do the family cars and charge to recoup my money lol

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
i find with racing blue if its cloudy ur car just doesnt seem to shine as much as metallic or black, kinda annoyn in winter really

VRS
i find with racing blue if its cloudy ur car just doesnt seem to shine as much as metallic or black, kinda annoyn in winter really

thats the problem with having a flat colour rather than metallic :(

still the best colour tho ;)

i generally get good results from hand cleaning but i really need to sort out the swirls so i think pc'ing is the best option for me

yeah same here, but then i didnt really notice any swirl marks before PC'ing.. was actually a bit disappointed once it had finished, but maybe its because the car was in good nick before i started

Broken Diesel Megane :(

yeah same here, but then i didnt really notice any swirl marks before PC'ing.. was actually a bit disappointed once it had finished, but maybe its because the car was in good nick before i started

nah, should just got a proper METALLIC painted car lol

VRS

could be yer

every time i give the car the full works i end up dissapointed cos when the sun catches it i can see the swirls :(

hopefully this will get it up up to scratch (no pun intended lol)

Broken Diesel Megane :(
aw fireman juz got to stay? hahaha

ok well you can post it and the car will be all clean and ready for when you get back ;)

just non-essential personnel getting booted off, so clearly im important :approve:

why dont we go into renault, u trade in my car for your megane, i'll take yours and u give me say £5k? :D

Fiat Coupe 20vt
i have been recommended the Menzerna PO106FF Final Finish / Menzerna PO85RD3.0x Intensive Polish

Menzerna PO106FF is in my book the easiest polish i've ever used, ever. It's very forgiving with no dust even by rotary.

The P085RD 3.01 does need a bit more care but is still pretty easy and i'd still reccomed them to a beginner. They arn't SSR 2.5 easy but as Rich points out ultimately it produces a better finish with less fuss.

New Clio paint is very tough so if you were using SSR as a bare minimum you will probably find you need the 2.5 and a few hits. If you got any Sonus polishes in the kit, these are a really good intro into polishing. Very easy to use and produce fantastic results. The SFX-1 has just enough bite to cirrect even tougher paints. They are what I cut my teeth on.

@Justin, those final pictures do look superb though! That flat Blue is a difficult colour (very close to Fiat Coupe Sprint Blue!)

VRS
i have been recommended the Menzerna PO106FF Final Finish / Menzerna PO85RD3.0x Intensive Polish

Menzerna PO106FF is in my book the easiest polish i've ever used, ever. It's very forgiving with no dust even by rotary.

The P085RD 3.01 does need a bit more care but is still pretty easy and i'd still reccomed them to a beginner. They arn't SSR 2.5 easy but as Rich points out ultimately it produces a better finish with less fuss.

New Clio paint is very tough so if you were using SSR as a bare minimum you will probably find you need the 2.5 and a few hits. If you got any Sonus polishes in the kit, these are a really good intro into polishing. Very easy to use and produce fantastic results. The SFX-1 has just enough bite to cirrect even tougher paints. They are what I cut my teeth on.

@Justin, those final pictures do look superb though! That flat Blue is a difficult colour (very close to Fiat Coupe Sprint Blue!)

so do you rekon i should give the menzerna products a try instead of the ssr range?

106 GTi
The main thing I have found with the Menzerna PO106FF is it is harder to see when it has broken down in the way it clears on the paint, in comparison to say Poorboys SSR 2 or 2.5 which are easier to see viasably when they are worked. But results with it far surpass the finsih the Poorboys leaves. Doubt I will use the SSR range again on my own car or re-purchase them when they are gone.

The first polishes I used by PC on my Clio a few years back where Poorboys SSR 2 and Meguiars 80. Both left a great gloss and cleared up some dealer inflicted swirls, but do leave the deeper ones, so are fairly safe polishes for the first attempts IMO.

I have not had any dust problems here with the origional formula Intensive Polish or the later one, but in use its neither are easy to use as the SSR 2.5, but as you say Tim it does not quite produce IP type results.

Maybe get SSR 2.5 and Menzerna PO106FF Final Finish Mark?