ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fiesta ST swirl removal

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Had an 07 plate Fiesta ST arrive today for some swirl removal.

I didn't bother with any 'before' pics as it was fairly clean and the swirls were hardly visible.

Snow foamed and then washed with my favourite shampoo Poorboys slick and suds using 2 bucket method.

Next was iron x and tar x followed by another wash.

Clayed using Bilthamber clay bar but there was hardly any contamination at all. The owner told me that he had Clayed it about 2 weeks ago.

Gave it another wash and then dried with my trusty Asda drying towels.

I then got busy with this stuff
image.jpg

I've been very impressed with this compound and it's my go to product for swirl and hologram removal. I used a green 3M pad on my Megs DA.

I decided to then go over the car again with this
image.jpg

This stuff smells very similar to Prima Amigo. Not sure if has the same fillers etc as Amigo?

I used this with a Scholl concepts black finishing pad.

Here are the final results
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The headlights were in dire need of sorting out so I did those too with 2500 wet and dry paper and some G3 scratch remover.

The owner arrived a little while ago to collect and was double pleased. He was particularly impressed that I'd done the headlights too :cool:

Thanks for reading

RDR

@gally @Scrooge what you think chaps?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
That ST looks great, top job!

Did you go up the polish range before settling on Menz 400? Its obviously a heavy cut polish and might not be necessary unless the paint is really damaged / hard.

Be good if you got some 50/50 and before/afters!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
That ST looks great, top job!

Did you go up the polish range before settling on Menz 400? Its obviously a heavy cut polish and might not be necessary unless the paint is really damaged / hard.

Be good if you got some 50/50 and before/afters!

I've used this a few times now and I knew it was suitable for this job tbh :up:

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
The owner of this car knows you Kyle. Met you at iOClean :up:
Yeah alex is a nice lad. I made a start on this until it rained but ive just not had the chance to finish it. Done a gd job there mate. Im glad someone good sorted it. With starting a new job in less then 2 weeks and trying to get the cup sorted ive just not had the time. Im now stopping the detailing now

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Typically ford paint is relative soft, and have never needed to use anything as aggressive as fg400 on one. Only used it a few times on badly swirled VAG paint, and when combining it with a 3m green pad that's a really aggressive combo, especially if you say the car wasn't all that badly swirled to start with. It was very dusty too iirc.

Might be worth looking into the rest of the menzerna range as the old number the 203s was pretty good at single stage cutting and refining

None the less. Looks a tidy little finish in the finished photos

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Yeah alex is a nice lad. I made a start on this until it rained but ive just not had the chance to finish it. Done a gd job there mate. Im glad someone good sorted it. With starting a new job in less then 2 weeks and trying to get the cup sorted ive just not had the time. Im now stopping the detailing now

Yeah he's a really nice fella :up:

Typically ford paint is relative soft, and have never needed to use anything as aggressive as fg400 on one. Only used it a few times on badly swirled VAG paint, and when combining it with a 3m green pad that's a really aggressive combo, especially if you say the car wasn't all that badly swirled to start with. It was very dusty too iirc.

Might be worth looking into the rest of the menzerna range as the old number the 203s was pretty good at single stage cutting and refining

I do have various other grade menzerna polishes so I'll bare that in mind when tackling a similar job.

This is all a massive learning curve for me,

But like you say the finish was amazing and the owner was really really pleased. He's text me since thanking me again saying it so glossy it's unreal.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I find IP2100 is very good for a single cutting stage and refining with CP reflect. Its a great combo

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks immense Dave, really really impressed with that finish.

What LSP?

I have to echo what Dave said though. I corrected my ST with 203s on a white hex via DA iirc and I'd say it was pretty bad!

just food for thought. One day you'll take a heavy polish and pad through some thin paint and be devastated.

Tip always is find the softest combo. I would add that you may also discover correction takes longer but you only need one step.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Looks immense Dave, really really impressed with that finish.

What LSP?

I have to echo what Dave said though. I corrected my ST with 203s on a white hex via DA iirc and I'd say it was pretty bad!

just food for thought. One day you'll take a heavy polish and pad through some thin paint and be devastated.

Tip always is find the softest combo. I would add that you may also discover correction takes longer but you only need one step.

I'm going to grab your mobile number so I can phone you for occasional advice :up: :tonguewink:

My guess is CP reload
He loves it does our ron

lol yeah CP Reload

To be fair if I hadn't run out of Hydro 2 I'd have used that :up:

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200

Who are you!? Its been a while!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I've just realised that I put I used a green 3M pad but I didn't lol

I actually used a Blue 3M hex pad which is a lot softer.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Blue hex with that compound, you're a special guy Dave. Pm me your number over mate. I'm at the end of a text or call if needed.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
3m blue should be copied into the jeweling part. One of the best on the market for that.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Brilliant work again :) but I'll echo what's been said above.

Don't jump straight for a heavy cut straight away, trial lighter pads and polishes until you get the cut you want.

lol bad combo then?

It seemed to work ok?

It will have, but it's like hammering a nail with a sledge hammer, so to speak. The nail will go in, but the same job could've been done, safer, with a smaller hammer.

It's as Gally said, you'd be devastated if you went through some thin paint accidentally.

I had no idea old bmws had incredibly soft paint. So if I went straight at the e36 I did a while back with a heavy cutting compound, I could've done some damage.

I started with a finish polish, then down to a regular cut polish, found that more than sufficient and cracked on.

As you say though, it's a learning curve but you're getting very good, very fast :)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Lesson learned :up::smile:

And thanks a lot brosef!

It's something I get a fair bit of pleasure out of so its all gravy.

See you next week :up:

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Who are you!? Its been a while!

Hello mate. Will drop you a message later on

Now you could have been really unlucky @Sunglasses_Ron and the st could have had soft sticky paint like Ryan's ST fiesta. That was leaving holograms with my softest combo and was a pain to work. I've since gone and bought softer pads and polishes just incase I encounter anything like that again as most of the cars I bother to correct are hard German paints

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Hello mate. Will drop you a message later on

Now you could have been really unlucky @Sunglasses_Ron and the st could have had soft sticky paint like Ryan's ST fiesta. That was leaving holograms with my softest combo and was a pain to work. I've since gone and bought softer pads and polishes just incase I encounter anything like that again as most of the cars I bother to correct are hard German paints

My Fiesta was (is) ridiculous. Sneeze and you have a hologram that needs refining.

I must admit though, I rarely wash it now. It's just a machine :(

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Still haven't touched my fiesta with a machine, no swirls either thankfully otherwise it'd drive me mad.

I really really hate soft paint.