ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Performance Increase

182 Turbo
Hey guys, so lurking around I've catched onto the fact that these clio's aren't the best cars to try and increase bhp, none the less amazing cars. However i Have another question it's pretty much similar question but from a different approach so..

If I had a full yozza decat, ITG Panel filter , matched inlets, Uprated spark plugs and a remap I'm looking to gain what? 10bhp max? So what's the performance increase on the 0-60 of the car? 0-100? Are people actually telling me that if I had all that probably with a remap, that I would still draw in a quarter mile drag with a standard clio 182? + taking the back seats out, what sort of bhp would my 182 have after those mods?

Another question is with all the above + Shrick cams what sort of power would a 182 be putting out?
Also how much is the Shrick Cams + Remap average sort of price? I know there's a few other bits u need swell it's on a 50k engine.

Also, does the clio run lumpy with cams? Like on idle and stuff?
I know Fred is the man to get hold of about the Shrick cams and remap but yeah,
Thanks for reading and hopefully you can answer some if not all of my questions.
Sorry if some of it didn't make sense. :p

Forgetting the cams, you'll get next to f**k all out of it. And you certainly WONT pull away from a standard Clio. Even with cams you still wouldn't.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
for the mods you have 10-15bhp is what id expect, thats what i got for similar mods. - uprated spark plugs are probably not helping, get them back to standard asap.

on the road you wont notice 10-15bhp a great deal, a simple thing such as a bad start or missed gear will soon wipe off that advantage. however driveability is improved which imo makes the car better and more fun to drive from a drivers point of view.

running the above mods and a set of cams high 190's probably? ive never priced them but your probably looking at £600 odd quid just for the fitting and belt change, so you then have the price of the cams on top of that and say £400 for a proper remap with them.

they will run lumpy yes, but they already run lumpy as standard

Evo 5 RS
I pulled quite happily on a standard 182 when I had my cams fitted. We're not talking day and night, but it was quicker

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 188bhp 172 pulled just over a cars length on a 182 that was bang on side by side with me from 40 to 100, its not exactly a massive gain but he was one of these guys that beleived all the marketing hype that a 182 would blow a 172 away so was quite funny!

Lionel Richie
with cams you'll be up over 190bhp (they make 170 stock) and around 170lbs/ft

if you chose schrick (there are other alternatives) you'd be paying over £2K (nearer to £3K if its complete standard) fitted/mapped/exhaust/filter yada yada yada

worth it? upto you to decide, i'm not going to say its the best thing since sliced bread as its not

I think your mad spending money trying to make a clio faster, bizare considering i do that for a living LOL

182 Turbo
with cams you'll be up over 190bhp (they make 170 stock) and around 170lbs/ft

if you chose schrick (there are other alternatives) you'd be paying over £2K (nearer to £3K if its complete standard) fitted/mapped/exhaust/filter yada yada yada

worth it? upto you to decide, i'm not going to say its the best thing since sliced bread as its not

I think your mad spending money trying to make a clio faster, bizare considering i do that for a living LOL

Haha, this made me chuckle.
Okay fair enough. I'm just gunna do a few bits to it to improve the "drivability" forget cams and stuff I'll just wait till I get my next car in a year or two's time. I will still do that stuff bar the cams though.
Another question for you guys anyhow.
Will a remap smooth out the 5k kick you get on these cars? If so I'll probably pass on that option , I love the kick.
Secondly, is getting matched inlets easy enough to fit yourself? I heard they just bolt on?
Thanks.

Best mod is shedding weight, after that handling, braking........my clio's under a ton now (stripped out, even carpets, nothing for show), best mod i ever did, miles quicker than a standard clio.

172cup
Haha, this made me chuckle.
Okay fair enough. I'm just gunna do a few bits to it to improve the "drivability" forget cams and stuff I'll just wait till I get my next car in a year or two's time. I will still do that stuff bar the cams though.
Another question for you guys anyhow.
Will a remap smooth out the 5k kick you get on these cars? If so I'll probably pass on that option , I love the kick.
Secondly, is getting matched inlets easy enough to fit yourself? I heard they just bolt on?
Thanks.

RS stamped inlets dont need matching, waste of time imo

182 Turbo
There is an RS stamp on the front of the lower inlet
Do you need to unbolt the inlets and take them off to see this? Or can you see it by eye just looking in the engine bay? (sorry my knowledge of cars is minimal to non existent)

Listerine & Poledo
Take3 the sum of money you have for these mods to any reputable 2nd hand car dealers, along with your 182 and you can turn it into something that will comfortably cane any RS Clio in a straight line.

Like a lunar-mileage EVO, for instance.

clio 172
The 172 is powerful enough really ! what are you using it for! just do the usual, air filter, exhaust and maybe a re map but you wont see big gains. But do you really need gains? its a pocket rocket !

260% JCW
Take3 the sum of money you have for these mods to any reputable 2nd hand car dealers, along with your 182 and you can turn it into something that will comfortably cane any RS Clio in a straight line.

Like a lunar-mileage EVO, for instance.

Then be prepared to spend the same amount on insurance.

Listerine & Poledo
it was an example suggestion.

Lad I know runs an Evo as a daily, a GSR (if that means anything to you experts) with anti-lag and all sorts and he isn't exactly flush.

Still, OP wants tangible a performance increase, they're in the wrong car unless they strap a blower to it, or a turbo....... or a bucket of course

182 Turbo

This is often a subject that gets a bit blown out of context, obviously if I wanted a drag racer I would of bought a diff car , I'm not looking for a 50bhp increase like some of you seem to think I'm saying lol.
My main issue is my mate has a car that is a little but quicker than myne so i just wanted to shave a bit off the 0-60/0-100 times of my car and you guys have given good answers to do that, I think I'm going to get the exhaust system, panel filter , possibly the inlets if mine aren't RS stamped and think I'm going to take the back seats out and hopefully this will have sorted the problem thanks.

One more question for you experienced guys;

I spoke to a mechanic friend the other day and he advised that I didn't get a decat on my exhaust system because apparently with decays your gunna get problems down the line or something? Do decats slowly f**k ur engine? Thanks. ;-)

Listerine & Poledo
What is the obsession with 0-60/100?

Are you on a promise of car-park fingerbang aciton if you crack the 10-second 1/4 mile?

182 Turbo
What is the obsession with 0-60/100?

Are you on a promise of car-park fingerbang aciton if you crack the 10-second 1/4 mile?
No obsession mate, just want a fraction more performance to keep up with a mate is that ok?
I think I have mentioned already about a thousand times that I don't expect a drastic increase.
If you know the answer to my questions input would be appreciated, otherwise don't comment.
Don't be a hater. <3

This is often a subject that gets a bit blown out of context, obviously if I wanted a drag racer I would of bought a diff car , I'm not looking for a 50bhp increase like some of you seem to think I'm saying lol.
My main issue is my mate has a car that is a little but quicker than myne so i just wanted to shave a bit off the 0-60/0-100 times of my car and you guys have given good answers to do that, I think I'm going to get the exhaust system, panel filter , possibly the inlets if mine aren't RS stamped and think I'm going to take the back seats out and hopefully this will have sorted the problem thanks.

One more question for you experienced guys;

I spoke to a mechanic friend the other day and he advised that I didn't get a decat on my exhaust system because apparently with decays your gunna get problems down the line or something? Do decats slowly f**k ur engine? Thanks. ;-)

I can only assume what he meant with the Decat was that you will most likely not pass the MOT with it due to emissions!

is1

Integra Type R DC2
No obsession mate, just want a fraction more performance to keep up with a mate is that ok?

Where do you race? And why is your mate in a hurry?
Seriously though, enjoy the car as it is, they are great out of the box. Take it from somone who has been there, spend your money on travel, broaden your horizons, save up for a rainy day.
Or, and this is a serious suggestion, it is often said by the wisest on here, the best way to take seconds off [whatever] is to get some proper driving lessons where you will be taught about car control, braking, car behaviour etc. It will be a lot more fulfilling.

What happens when after the 0.5 seconds you gain on your mate, he gets an Evo or an Impreza and leads you by another 2.5 seconds?

big boost cup
What ever you do other than stripping the guts out of it ITBs or forced induction wont really make a noticeable difference
Tbh. Or you can get your self some nitrous then you might see some improvement

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Should have gone to specsavers Martin.

But, the theory is the OP could shave more time by showing absolutely no mechanical sympathy

keeping in mind we own a driving school, i think our pass rate would fall substantially if we only gave people gearbox lessons, i doubt the examiners would be equally impressed by our pupils using heel and toe to blip on the downshift ;)

GTiR 394bhp
Sell yours and buy one with the mods already done for probably the same money(modded cars never keep their value as well as standard) and no need to spend £3k.