ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

performance upgrade for 172

Titanium ph1 turbo

When I first bought my cup back in april I heard rumors on here that renault were going to be offering a 200bhp upgrade by xmas for 172 owners ? Anyone know if this is still happening ? or if not who else does it aftermarket and whats involved etc ?

Best performance upgrade is to upgrade the springs and dampers, no extra stress on the engine = no drop in reliability (yes I know its a french car)

O no I can see another anti LAD thread starting.

LAD claim 200hp but they wont seem to put it to the test on the dynos.

The best thing to do is to fit an exhaust, Bigger air filter and have the car remap as a one off.

Or stick 50hp nitro into the car (another area of disputer true tunning)

Renault have never said a 200hp is coming out the French I belive get a 180hp version

Renault woulnt offer and upgrade though they would just sell a completly new car. The new Clio may have 200hp but thats in the new car due 2004/2005 I belive and it will most likly be turbo (loads of easy tunning there)

EDD

Airfilter, decat and RSport chip and you will have a car capable of 14.1 second 1/4 mile times - a full second ahead of a standard 172. Forget bhp, these relatively cheap mods are the way forward. Not seen and LAD cars running 14.1 1.4 mile times, and these mods will only set you back £500 or so, rather than £1500 (i think) for the LAD conversion.

Shame R-Sports mods dont work on a normal 172 and they have no plans to adapt the Cup ECU for a 172 either :mad:

According to R-Sport, the engine in the Cup is different so the inlet manifold and ECU upgrades dont work on a normal 172.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The engine isnt differnt, the 172 ECU has to deal with additional side airbags, climate control systems, ABS etc you get the point.

The Cup is not FBW throttle IIRC but the engines are exactly the same.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I can sort one out through eric at Audi-Renault sports enginering

contact mailto:eric@A.R.S.E.co.uk">eric@A.R.S.E.co.uk

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

lol..

There is actually a company that we use up here called

Audio Repair Services Edinburgh.. lol

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

is it ? i thought the FBW was taken out of the Cup ? oh well there you go then they are even more the same as before.

Volvo S60 T5

I have heard a little bit of news Renault have released a mod that gets rid or the limiter and as its a genuine renault part it does not invalidate the warranty, I will keep you posted on this upgrade Im trying to find out the part number for it and I will post it on the forum as soon as I have got it.

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Mike172sport on 06 October 2003
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3>I have heard a little bit of news Renault have released a mod that gets rid or the limiter and as its a genuine renault part it does not invalidate the warranty, I will keep you posted on this upgrade Im trying to find out the part number for it and I will post it on the forum as soon as I have got it.

That will make no difference to performance as the max power of the engine is below where the limiter kicks in!

@jonnyboy.

you are wrong, if you check the figures of the powercurve you see that after the max. power there is a drop is power and afterwards the power is climbing up again !! so in general the more rpms the more power. Of course this will stop when the valves will floath at some point and then your gone. But till 8000 Rpms the car flies !!

The guys from R-Sport said that it will work perfectly on a 172 because when you order one they need your engine number to get the correct ECU. It is not for cups only.

R

rich[182]

Who are R-Sport ? Have they a website ? Does it effect the warranty ?

Quote: Originally posted by dbouwer on 07 October 2003

The guys from R-Sport said that it will work perfectly on a 172 because when you order one they need your engine number to get the correct ECU. It is not for cups only.
Does this include MK1 172s?