ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Perished steering wheel ruber replacement

172 Cup
I have searched the site and seen that loads of people have problems with the rubber on their 172s steering wheel, and one guy has got some carbon fibre replacements for his.

Other than carbon fibre are there any other solutions to this as it is pretty annoying. I don't really want to replace the whole thing just for the small rubber thumb grips.

Maybe I should get one of those massive pink furry steering wheel covers to hide it and have a lovely soft feeling wheel.

Any ideas?

Charged Superleggera
there is guy on here who will be making replacment rubber grips shortly. i will be testing the first ones out shortly and will be giving feedback on the quality.

its me who has done bens carbon ones, and its also me who is going to try and make some replacements in rubber, and as frosty has said he is going to trial them...

hope to have these done by the end of this week, beginning of next so testing can start..

all the best

Tony

ps if this al works out these will NOT be a stupid price

172 Cup
tonyt - You will be a very rich man. you've found a big gap in the market! Good on ya pal. Ill just continue picking at the annoying bits of rubber until testing is complete.

lol.. posted today ben, should soon have a ful carbon replacement available to put over the knackered rubber, and I'm hoping a full rubber replacement also...

at least it'll save people money which is the main

Tony

quick update guys, should have a prototype rubber cover/replacement done by sunday, so will send to frosty for testing.. also looking at other materials for this, so bear with me...

all the best

Tony

right, method 1 has just failed with these, gunna try method 2 today see if that works, will know by tomorrow..

all the best.. I AM still trying lol..

Tony

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
this is a big gap in the market as renault don't supply them........... you have to buy the whole blummin' steering wheel which i nearly died at the price of £269 excluding VAT for the one with cruise control.
So if these work out add me to the 'wanting one' list.

i think i've figured out why method one never worked, and am looking at a way to solve the problem..

also got 2 other possible methods to try, but safe to say I wont give up easily...

also safe to say if i can get this sorted the rprice wont be ridiculous either, hate being ripped off and just wont do it..

Tony

no more work done on these guys, sorry, but there WAS someone else doing carbon ones i saw, plus a lad doing fibre glass ones...

i can fix/cover original knackered ones (so long as they aint too bad) but thats about it for now..

all the best

Tony

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
There seems to be plenty of us in the que for a solution...

Add me to the list!

Just to clarify, any one got some pics of the carbon fibre grips,How do you mount the, i.e do you have to cut away the old rubber ones or glue over the top etc, how much can you do me a set for and how long is the wait?

I'll deffo take a set.

Thank you, great site by the way!
:D

2004 black clio sport 182
no more work done on these guys, sorry, but there WAS someone else doing carbon ones i saw, plus a lad doing fibre glass ones...

i can fix/cover original knackered ones (so long as they aint too bad) but thats about it for now..

all the best

Tony
how do you take the thumb grips off with out ripping them or damaging the steering wheel. i was looking at mine and i couldnt see a way :S

2001 Clio 172
Hey people. I've just bought myself a 172 and of course i also have the rubber thumb grip issue. Has anything come of this? Anyone found/made some replacements? If anyone couls give me a link or a name of someone to contact i would appreciate it.

Thanks guys! :)