ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Personalised Plates...

just wondering if anyone knows...

you see in the backs of magazines, those huge lists of personalised numberplates u can buy, and in loads of different adverts ive seen a plate that perfectly suits my name "BUF 70N" (my surname is BUFTON) but havin enquired to the companies, theyve all told me it costs close to £20,000!!! :O

do these companies own the rights to this plate? or can u phone up the DVLA, or whoever the official registration people are, and buy it from them for a dramatically cut price??

cheers

Kris

its a bit of both mate.

Sometimes the companies own them, sometime they sell them on behalf of customers and get commission on the sale.

LY V6 with Recaros
If I remember right from when I got mine, the DVLA is the cheapest place to get them as they include all the charges in their price, whereas the other companies add them on. I payed £250 for mine through them, but if I was to get it through another place it would have been well over £300!

Same here when i got mine it was £799 all in with dvla but other company's wanted £900 and another wanted £1100 so i went with dvla but with a plate like that its not going to be cheap wherever you get it from

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
DVLA is cheapest by far, a lot of companies take dvla price add a %age & VAT, nice little earner for no work.

always use dvla my mates who have around 15 plates between them have always gone here and they are always the cheapest the other companies as stated add the bits on to pocket them for themselves...i went onto to reg transfers the other day and they say guanrantee no to be beaten on price but they never got back to me with the price to beat dvla!!! my reg will cost me 250 all in but elsewhere looking at nearly 400!!!

Milltek'd 182
depends where you've found it mate! if its a prefix/current style chances are it will be on the DVLA website so just get it from there. if its a special jobby or you've seen it in a magazine theres a chance that only that company could be selling it.

GOLF GT TDI
there are to ways number plates do this:
1:
people like you and i, phone the number plate company for example "New Reg" then they put your number plate for sale on behalf of you or a cost, but then they add a percentage on top of what the owner wants for the plate and that where they get their money from.

2:
the company may buy the plates direct from the DVLA if the plate has only just been released. and then "new Reg" would own the plate until the sell it to your or i.

I was lucky when i got my plate i saw it on sale on new reg and found out the blokes details out and contacted him direct and bought it from him and got it from him direct over £700 cheaper, the bloke didnt mind as he didnt have to pay "new reg" to sell it,

FF Black 182 + Cup Packs
www.dvla.som.co.uk has
b.gif
u.gif
0.gif
2.gif
space.gif
t.gif
o.gif
n.gif

£1,999
how to buy
view on a vehicle
more like this
or
b.gif
1.gif
1.gif
space.gif
u.gif
f.gif
t.gif

£399
how to buy
view on a vehicle
more like this
or
b.gif
1.gif
space.gif
u.gif
f.gif
t.gif

£999
how to buy
view on a vehicle
more like this

i think the middle one would look good and really cheap

New reg & that lot are a total con, they do sem to have some nice plates, but check out the prices on them !

Apart from the dvla website, i'd say go along to an auction & buy from there (new reg & reg transfers go to them) i've seen them buy plates for like £3000 - then two weeks later they'll be up in their adverts for £15000 !
Nice little earner, they just have to make sure that they can sell on the plates they buy.

FF Black 182 + Cup Packs
although the 'BUF 70N' would look great the saving of £19, 600 is a bit of a selling point!
I paid 250 for mine and its the best 250 i have ever spent

Clio Williams 1, 182,197
Like wise i payed £395 for mine which was a bargin !!

C110 XX Which is has been my pride and joy for many a year.